My thoughts on expansion.

hawkeye12345

The Big10 geographically is the midwest to upper midwest. The SEC is the South and South east. The Pac10 is the West and the ACC is the east coast. The Big12 is the midwest to central part of the US. It's apparent that the Big12 isn't going to survive and Notre Dame is going to be forced to join a conference if they wish to survive. So.....
Here is what i would do:

Tiers:

Top Tier is Texas, Nebraska, Kansas - every conference would want these 3 to join.
Second Tier is Missouri, Tx AM, Oklahoma and Colorado - geographically these teams would make sense to certain conferences
Third Tier is Kansas St, Baylor - these teams aren't desired but could fit based solely on academics or geography
Bottom Tier is Ok St, Tx Tech, Iowa St - these teams should join the MWC or some other mid-major

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Wherever Texas goes so goes A&M.
Vandy, ND, Pitt offer very real possibilities to join or switch conferences.

Initially the Big10 would have added Nebraska, Missouri and Pitt to go to 14 teams and would have been done but once these rumors started getting out and the SEC/Pac10 got involved with expansion talk, the whole Big12 has seemingly imploded. Now it appears that every team in the conference is worried and willing to listen to conference realignment. This is huge.

The Big10 offers the most academically and financially - right now. This is very appealing to every school that is available. I personally see Vandy (or Pitt but not both), ND, TX, A&M and Missouri joining the Big10. If ND doesn't join then Nebraska or Kansas will be the next man up assuming Pitt was left out by Vandy.

Colorado, Tech and a TBD will join the Pac10. Leaving Iowa St, K State, Tech, Ok State, baylor and Oklahoma. Oklahoma and Ok St will join the SEC. K State and Iowa St will then beg the Pac10 to add them as well or they could end up joining the MWC with Baylor.

The biggest challenge to all of the expansion talk is getting the state legislatures to allow splitting of in-state programs - especially Texas. Texas state legislature will not allow Tx and A&M to be split. Tech may have to come as well but I think when push comes to shove the legislature will allow Tech to wander off in to irrelevance.

Last edited:
Pitt doesn't make sense for the Big 10 since it adds nothing monetarily. You would essentially decrease the amount of revenue all other Big 10 schools would get.

Rutgers gets you on basic cable minimally in New Jersey and possibly in New York City. Rutgers is much more desirable from a revenue standpoint. The academics are pretty similar (56th for Pitt and 66th for Rutgers).

Why would every conference want Kansas? The have basketball tradition, but if you are looking for revenue they do not have draw in football nationally and they are a small state (2.8 million) so their ability to generate revenue for a television network is minimal.

Texas is desirable to all conferences, but Missouri is next. It has 2 large TV markets (KC and St. Louis) and has a state population of 5.6 million.

I think you make some good points, but why are you so sure on Pitt joining?

Latest posts