My thoughts from last night

Being able to defend at a high level and knowing where your suppose to be on the floor is probably more important than getting to the basket off the bounce. Both Hutton and Moss play at positions that are harder to learn. It is pretty obvious they have tons of ability. It remains to be seen who will redshirt.

Agreed. That is why I would be surprised if Hutton did redshirt, as I thought he was the best defender of the bunch. I think his on ball defense would make up for some shortcomings in positioning. I could see Moss redshirting as he arrived to IC later then the others.

Either way I'm excited for the season and we will learn more in the coming weeks!

Fleming looked the least intimidated of the newcomers. If he can play some defense, he will continue to get minutes. Wagner has the Big Ten body. He is physically ready to bang in the Big Ten. I just have a hunch that Williams is going to surprise us this year. Everyone assumed he would be the best redshirt prospect, but I think his minutes will continue to increase, even with the Hawks having two current PGs.

Ellingson's line said that he was 0-2 from the field and 0-3 from the stripe. Am I missing something or why is everyone saying he was firing up a ton of shots?

I said he was not afraid to shoot, considering I think he took one 3 in transition when there was no one even down under the basket and the other one he made but it was waived off cause he was out of bounds and wasn't even in the corner. They both seemed like bad shots to me...hence, not afraid to shoot. It seems to me like he took more as well. Not sure tho.

There are so many new bodies that I wouldn't read too much into who played more minutes after one exhibition game. If Hutton and Moss don't play much again in the next game, then there is probably more to it. It's possible Fran just wanted to see some of them play extended minutes rather than giving everyone equal small stretches in game 1. He may swap who plays more minutes in game 2. Like I said, we'll find out more after game 2 is played.

I would be really disappointed if Moss ended up redshirting. He was the recruit I was the most excited about it and was hoping he'd end up either starting or being the first guard/wing off the bench

The beauty is that Fran has many options and I think we trust him to make the right decisions. I can see merit in RS Moss and not. If you future think, putting Moss and Hutton in the same class as Cook, Pemsl, Kriener and Bohanan makes sense. It evens things out a bit. But, and I think I'm with you on RS Moss, I don't know if Ellingson, Fleming and Sapp give us the best options backing up Jok. I like Jok at the 2 more than the 3.

Our biggest issue this season is going to be in the middle. We need to Wagner heavy minutes so that he's college basketball season ready, shape-wise. He had a couple of post moves and boards that flashed. He and Cook will eventually be dangerous.

I made a comment in a game thread that when (at one point) Williams, Ellingson, Uhl, Jones and Wagner were on the floor together, we could be looking at the second unit. I said that because they looked fluid together and I got the impression they practiced a lot as a unit. I also think that Ellingson is the better option over Fleming at this point. Perhaps Fleming RS? While I loved AF's confidence, he could use a year to really work on his stroke. Ellingson, in my opinion, will be money from deep and affords the luxury of RS AF.

Not officially, just my hunch.

Did not see enough of either to really say but the general observation after Hutton and Moss got in was one of confusion. They were lost on where to lineup for out of bounds plays and even heard Flemming trying to direct them to cut or switch sides of the floor, etc so hopefully the game slows down for them over the next week of practice and they can log a few more minutes next Friday.

I still think one of those freshman end up transferring. No reasoning behind that, but just seems like something has got to give there.

InGoodCo - Good post, thanks for the info. I was not able to watch the game but from everything I've read, I think Gesell will be this teams 2nd best player. Also think that Fleming will be able to contribute the most out of the freshman this year. Sounds like Wagner could end up playing a role.

I think Fran is rather unhappy with the freshmen situation currently. Hutton and Moss appear to be the players most behind right now. If that holds up, the numbers suggest RS. However, those two and Williams have the biggest upside of the whole class. Hutton and Moss represent Iowa's first successful recruitments in Chicago in a decade or more. You don't want to see them transfer for recruiting reasons as well as the upside future of the team.

Last edited:
I think Fran is rather unhappy with the freshmen situation currently. Hutton and Moss appear to be the players most behind right now. If that holds up, the numbers suggest RS. However, those two and Williams have the biggest upside of the whole class. Hutton and Moss represent Iowa's first successful recruitments in Chicago in a decade or more. You don't want to see them transfer for recruiting reasons as well as the upside future of the team.

I think the high school coaching in Chicago probably isn't that good. The inner city schools in Chicago probably don't have a lot of money, and with all the violence its probably pretty tough for the players to develop as they would in other environments. Illinois usually has a few inner city kids on their rosters, and while they are talented they don't seem to propel Illinois to great heights. A year with a redshirt would probably help them both academically and with their basketball. Jok didn't really take the team by storm his freshman year, but he was hurt for the last couple of years of his high school career. I wonder how many quality high school basketball coaches yearn to coach at one of the Chicago inner city schools.

Just read through Fran's presser from yesterday and quite few things stuck out.

Fran said Williams would most likely not redshirt, but at least one maybe two players would redshirt this season.

When asked about the newcomers he mentioned at least something about everyone except Moss and Hutton.

Lastly, Fran mentioned that he wouldn't be suprised at all if at least one player transfers after the season due to lack of PT.

Pretty interesting stuff.

Latest posts