My Take On......

Quite true, i.e.
1) The reason JL is seeing so many minutes rests squarely on the shoulders of Anthony Tucker, again.

2) The fact that Bawinkle has no more right to see a D-1 basketball court than JL, yet retains a scholarship. JL merely busts his *** for the love of the game and has twice the all around skills. He's paying to play and asks nothing from the U of Ia or the fans except to support him when he gets his opportunity (is forced into action, thanks to the above 2 alternatives). He, nor his father, are the ones suffering from the delusion that he should be playing under normal circumstances.
(Unfortunately, the world is full of really stupid D.A.'s, let alone really low Bball IQ's, that are just compelled to spew out blame on an easy target. Too bad they cannot overcome their foolishness to focus a bit more effort on the 3 fingers pointing back at themselves, rather than the one finger pointing at which they cannot control.)

3) The fact that, despite their strong hearts and efforts, Gatens and Cole are just as athletically and physically overmatched at their respective positions as anyone on the team. No one seems interested in pointing out how frequently they've dropped the ball (literally and figuratively) at crucial points during these winnable games. I'm as disappointed in their underachieving, stagnant sophomore campaigns and their failure to deliver, relative to their skills and experience, than anything I've seen this season.
(Yes, Cole's a junior, but he lost a year due to the knee injury.)

4) Back to point #1 -- It is time for AT to see the floor and actually contribute to a BigXI basketball season. IMEO, this situation is getting uglier by the game and is beginning to look like TL is dicking around.
He's paid his dues and he either needs to play or leave so both parties can move on in whatever direction this is intended to go. Right now, an out-of-game-shape Tucker is still a far better option than healthy minutes from either Bawinkle or L'il Lick and each game he is available but held out prolongs the situation and promotes more skepticism about TL's intentions.

I agree with this. I agreed with the suspension, but right now enough is enough!

Anyway, this thread was orginally in support of John Lickliter. How and who turned it in to a bash coach Lickliter thread???

The kid in question is Mike Kebler (see stats below). He played 5 minutes yesterday (which ties for the most all year). You may be right, maybe he earned it in practice.

Mike Kebler Stats, News, Photos - Michigan State Spartans - ESPN

I guess I don't think it was gift wrapped for John L, but some folks do. I was just pointing out that it does happen other places.

I will beg to differ..

Look at this article from 1988. Iowa held this open tryouts at Iowa during Tom Davis years. You had kids from all over the midwest trying to live the dream.

Walk-Ons Help Iowa Get to Top - Los Angeles Times

I will beg to differ..

Look at this article from 1988. Iowa held this open tryouts at Iowa during Tom Davis years. You had kids from all over the midwest trying to live the dream.

Walk-Ons Help Iowa Get to Top - Los Angeles Times
That's a bit different. I think it would be cool to have open tryouts and have someone make the team who is skilled enough. I have no argument there. Didn't Wayman King make the team under that scenario (I am old and may not be correct on that)? For the record, I would agree this may help.

Now, the current coach does not do that. His kid is on the team and wasn't expected to play (by the coach's admission). Circumstances changed and he felt the need to play him (just like MSU and Tennessee, for example).

Was it in the plan for Jason (?) Bauer and Daryl Moore to play back in the day? No, but circumstances changed (a couple of players got sick when the team went to Hawaii) and they were needed.

Bauer, Moore, and King all had the athletic ability to play DI, as one play in the OSU game demonstrated, its an embarassment to have a player at John Lickliter's ability seeing any minutes for the IOWA team.

Bauer, Moore, and King all had the athletic ability to play DI, as one play in the OSU game demonstrated, its an embarassment to have a player at John Lickliter's ability seeing any minutes for the IOWA team.
Can't argue on the athletic ability. I was just pointing out that circumstances changed. On a lighter note, did you like John L's reverse layup today at least? :)

I have followed the situation closely enough to understand. Have you? Next years recruiting class doesn't change anything with respect to the PG position. Let me ask you if either Payne or Tucker go down it forces Coach Lick to use a walkon or unless you convert Brust into a PG.

The bottomline is this. Iowa has 2 True PG's on the this team. Payne and Lickliter. Tucker was converted to PG this season.

How about this why not go recruit a PG? Is that to much to ask.

Actually, 3 of the 4 players we have coming in have played PG for all or part of their senior HS seasons. The reason Coach didn't have any natural PGs coming in is that he wasn't expecting to have three point guards transfer last spring.

No.. Not blaming Tucker because 1 player getting suspended doesn't normally force you to start playing walk-ons..

I don't love watching a John Lickliter play basketball for Iowa. Sorry!! I just don't.
If you don't blame Tucker than either you are Tucker himself and take no responseability for your action or you really don't understand the effect that a susupension has on a team. Look at Pearl he is playing his own son because of players being kicked off the team or susupended. Their fans have some class and support their team not try to rip on them every chance you get.

John Lickliter. I used to cringe when he came into the games earlier in the season. The situation is what it is. Had Tucker not been suspended he may have never played. And no, he doesn't have the talent. But he does know the game and bust his butt. So, anyone who feels the need to take the time to criticize John, whether it be the media, the fanbase, the message boards, etc.....is simply a tool!!! Find something better to do!

"Good effort" on this post. Like playing hard means anything in college basketball...give me a guy that is lazy on defense and doesn't dive on the floor for loose balls and still scores 20 and grabs 8 boards. I'm going to criticize you for telling other people what to criticize...and then I'm going to criticize whatever else I feel like criticizing...

"Good effort" on this post. Like playing hard means anything in college basketball...give me a guy that is lazy on defense and doesn't dive on the floor for loose balls and still scores 20 and grabs 8 boards. I'm going to criticize you for telling other people what to criticize...and then I'm going to criticize whatever else I feel like criticizing...

That's all find and dandy, but that lazy guy on defense who doesn't dive on the floor for loose balls and still scores 20 and grabs 8 boards would be at the end of the Lickliter bench. Then he would transfer and you would pi$$ and moan about how Lick ran him off the team. Then I would have to criticize you for that. So........what's your point??? Ohh wait, that already happened......see David Palmer!!!

That's all find and dandy, but that lazy guy on defense who doesn't dive on the floor for loose balls and still scores 20 and grabs 8 boards would be at the end of the Lickliter bench. Then he would transfer and you would pi$$ and moan about how Lick ran him off the team. Then I would have to criticize you for that. So........what's your point??? Ohh wait, that already happened......see David Palmer!!!

My point is you overvalue effort and playing hard.

Not on this team under this coach. If you don't give effort you will not play. If John Lickliter did not bust his a$$ in practice he would not be playing. Lick would make due somewhere else! Obviously you overvalue talent. Palmer had it, but rarely played because he went all Allen Iverson in practice!!!

Not on this team under this coach. If you don't give effort you will not play. If John Lickliter did not bust his a$$ in practice he would not be playing. Lick would make due somewhere else! Obviously you overvalue talent. Palmer had it, but rarely played because he went all Allen Iverson in practice!!!

Iowa needs a balance of talent and effort. I think all truly great players play hard, David Palmer was not that good.

Iowa needs a balance of talent and effort. I think all truly great players play hard, David Palmer was not that good.

Some people on here, the same exact ones that want Lick gone, made Palmer out to be the second coming of Glen Robinson after two good games last year!!!

Iowa players seem to bust their *** and that has netted them a whole 2 Big 10 victories.

When teams suck, people start evaluating stupid stuff like who "appears to be playing hard"...

Do you think Evan Turner is lazy? It's like people think that teams that have talent, must have players who are stupid, undisciplined and lazy.... Only players of top character can play for a coach like Lickliter.... It's complete BS and I am getting tired of reading stupid stuff like this.

Some people on here, the same exact ones that want Lick gone, made Palmer out to be the second coming of Glen Robinson after two good games last year!!!

David Palmer played a role.... Who's to say if he played all year how he would help out.. He however was not a difference maker.

Iowa will continue to be a team that struggles until they start recruiting DIFFERENCE makers... There are none on the current team. Lots of really good role players, and role players have a hard time executing 100% of the time which is needed when you are not as talented.

The premise is simple regardless of talent level. If you do not work hard in practice, you will not play in games under this coach! I can't explain it any clearer!!!

I'll take hard working and "less talented" over "talented" and lazy. The Iowa football team is a great example. Think that Joe McKnight or Reggie Bush would work at McGreggor's Furniture for a year while getting their grades up so they could play football again, like Shonn Greene did? Don't think so. If you don't value heart and effort as much as anything else, you can't honestly call yourself a Hawkeye. That's what we're about! We aren't Ohio State, USC, UNC, Texas, who reload all the time in multiple sports. We're about blue-collar kids. That's the way it is, and I don't see that changing anytime soon. The number of wins in the record book, however, I do see changing before long. We're not far away from winning again. Just be patient.

You want to blame someone for all this? That finger should be pointing down at Albequerque, NM. Steve Alford buried this program, and no coach was going to just pull it all out of a hat.