My Take On......

ForeverHawk

John Lickliter. I used to cringe when he came into the games earlier in the season. The situation is what it is. Had Tucker not been suspended he may have never played. And no, he doesn't have the talent. But he does know the game and bust his butt. So, anyone who feels the need to take the time to criticize John, whether it be the media, the fanbase, the message boards, etc.....is simply a tool!!! Find something better to do!

Lickliter maybe a great kid and good teammate Foreverhawk. The problem is that in year 3 under Lickliter Iowa shouldn't be faced with having to use him someone of his caliber. That's the real problem.

Lickliter maybe a great kid and good teammate Foreverhawk. The problem is that in year 3 under Lickliter Iowa shouldn't be faced with having to use him someone of his caliber. That's the real problem.
Then blame Tucker for getting susupended!! No fault what so ever of John or Todd. I love watching John play, he knows the game well.

Then blame Tucker for getting susupended!! No fault what so ever of John or Todd. I love watching John play, he knows the game well.

No.. Not blaming Tucker because 1 player getting suspended doesn't normally force you to start playing walk-ons..

I don't love watching a John Lickliter play basketball for Iowa. Sorry!! I just don't.

John Lickliter. I used to cringe when he came into the games earlier in the season. The situation is what it is. Had Tucker not been suspended he may have never played. And no, he doesn't have the talent. But he does know the game and bust his butt. So, anyone who feels the need to take the time to criticize John, whether it be the media, the fanbase, the message boards, etc.....is simply a tool!!! Find something better to do!

We have taken a vote and you are the biggest tool on the internets:eek:

Then I am sorry, because obviously you and several others have not followed the situation closely enough to truely understand why Iowa is in this situation. It is not just merely because Todd Lickliter is the coach. And I am getting sick and tired of trying to explain it! Apparently a good majority of you have no patience what so ever for next year's recruiting class and beyond. If Lick gets canned, maybe a majority of the scholarship players will transfer and those of you who want Lick gone can enjoy Iowa basketball with 8 or 9 walk-ons playing!!!

No.. Not blaming Tucker because 1 player getting suspended doesn't normally force you to start playing walk-ons..

I don't love watching a John Lickliter play basketball for Iowa. Sorry!! I just don't.
Again. I have mentioned this in a couple of other threads. Michigan State played a walk on point guard who usually runs the scout team because Lucas was hurt. So, it does happen to other (very talented) teams. The Tucker situation is what caused this and John L has done an OK job. The fact that he is the coach's son has brought more scrutiny than if he was not.

Also, Bruce Pearl has had to play his son more than what he was before the Tyler Smith incident happened. This team is winning, so the scrutiny is less. It happens at other places.

Then I am sorry, because obviously you and several others have not followed the situation closely enough to truely understand why Iowa is in this situation. It is not just merely because Todd Lickliter is the coach. And I am getting sick and tired of trying to explain it! Apparently a good majority of you have no patience what so ever for next year's recruiting class and beyond. If Lick gets canned, maybe a majority of the scholarship players will transfer and those of you who want Lick gone can enjoy Iowa basketball with 8 or 9 walk-ons playing!!!

I have followed the situation closely enough to understand. Have you? Next years recruiting class doesn't change anything with respect to the PG position. Let me ask you if either Payne or Tucker go down it forces Coach Lick to use a walkon or unless you convert Brust into a PG.

The bottomline is this. Iowa has 2 True PG's on the this team. Payne and Lickliter. Tucker was converted to PG this season.

How about this why not go recruit a PG? Is that to much to ask.

Again. I have mentioned this in a couple of other threads. Michigan State played a walk on point guard who usually runs the scout team because Lucas was hurt. So, it does happen to other (very talented) teams. The Tucker situation is what caused this and John L has done an OK job. The fact that he is the coach's son has brought more scrutiny than if he was not.

Also, Bruce Pearl has had to play his son more than what he was before the Tyler Smith incident happened. This team is winning, so the scrutiny is less. It happens at other places.

Uh Oh......get ready for the Tennessee is 18-4 comments along with how everybody would rather have Pearl as Iowa's coach! 5-4-3-2-1......

I would image that any walkon at Michigan State would have earned it. Coach Lickliter gift wrapped that for his son.

Uh Oh......get ready for the Tennessee is 18-4 comments along with how everybody would rather have Pearl as Iowa's coach! 5-4-3-2-1......
I know. That's why I did it! I know how some folks want Pearl, but he plays his own kid too. :)

I would image that any walkon at Michigan State would have earned it. Coach Lickliter gift wrapped that for his son.
The kid in question is Mike Kebler (see stats below). He played 5 minutes yesterday (which ties for the most all year). You may be right, maybe he earned it in practice.

Mike Kebler Stats, News, Photos - Michigan State Spartans - ESPN

I guess I don't think it was gift wrapped for John L, but some folks do. I was just pointing out that it does happen other places.

We have much bigger problems than John Lickliter.

Quite true, i.e.
1) The reason JL is seeing so many minutes rests squarely on the shoulders of Anthony Tucker, again.

2) The fact that Bawinkle has no more right to see a D-1 basketball court than JL, yet retains a scholarship. JL merely busts his *** for the love of the game and has twice the all around skills. He's paying to play and asks nothing from the U of Ia or the fans except to support him when he gets his opportunity (is forced into action, thanks to the above 2 alternatives). He, nor his father, are the ones suffering from the delusion that he should be playing under normal circumstances.
(Unfortunately, the world is full of really stupid D.A.'s, let alone really low Bball IQ's, that are just compelled to spew out blame on an easy target. Too bad they cannot overcome their foolishness to focus a bit more effort on the 3 fingers pointing back at themselves, rather than the one finger pointing at which they cannot control.)

3) The fact that, despite their strong hearts and efforts, Gatens and Cole are just as athletically and physically overmatched at their respective positions as anyone on the team. No one seems interested in pointing out how frequently they've dropped the ball (literally and figuratively) at crucial points during these winnable games. I'm as disappointed in their underachieving, stagnant sophomore campaigns and their failure to deliver, relative to their skills and experience, than anything I've seen this season.
(Yes, Cole's a junior, but he lost a year due to the knee injury.)

4) Back to point #1 -- It is time for AT to see the floor and actually contribute to a BigXI basketball season. IMEO, this situation is getting uglier by the game and is beginning to look like TL is dicking around.
He's paid his dues and he either needs to play or leave so both parties can move on in whatever direction this is intended to go. Right now, an out-of-game-shape Tucker is still a far better option than healthy minutes from either Bawinkle or L'il Lick and each game he is available but held out prolongs the situation and promotes more skepticism about TL's intentions.

I have followed the situation closely enough to understand. Have you? Next years recruiting class doesn't change anything with respect to the PG position. Let me ask you if either Payne or Tucker go down it forces Coach Lick to use a walkon or unless you convert Brust into a PG.

The bottomline is this. Iowa has 2 True PG's on the this team. Payne and Lickliter. Tucker was converted to PG this season.

How about this why not go recruit a PG? Is that to much to ask.

Yes, I have followed it, that is exactly why I had zero expectations going into this season and exactly the same reason why I can support the players and the coach right now. It's all about tranfers to this point. No we don't have that true PG. Cully will be fine. Brust plays the point, Marble plays the point, Tucker can play the point. Iowa missed out on Armstead last season, which happens. We have no idea if Iowa will have an open scholly at the end of this season that they may be able to use on a juco pg? This team is not that far off, they just lack depth, which in my opinion they are getting next year. I think we tend to forget how extremely young this team actually is???

Latest posts