My take on how this all shakes out

Snowcraig

Banned
Based on some whispers, and my own intuition, here is how I think this thing plays out.

It looks like the Pac 10 is going to start the 16 team conference ball in motion. The conferences then shake out like this:

Big 10

Notre Dame
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa State
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas

ACC

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami (FL)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Rutgers
Pitt
Connecticut
Syracuse

Pac 10

Arizona
Arizona State
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Colorado

SEC

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Lousiville
South Florida
Memphis

So, who do I think the Big Loser is in all of this? K State and Baylor, who I think are most likely headed to Conference USA and the Sun Belt. Kansas could be a loser in this too, if they get hog tied to Kansas State's fate. Memphis get to be the big winner, as the SEC would be happy to welcome their Fed Ex money. I am, however struggling to come up with a 16th SEC team. I was thinking one of Houston / Rice / TCU / Baylor, as the SEC would love to open up the state of Texas for recruiting. I do think the Big East will live on, but as a basketball conference possibly with FCS football.

Iowa State will NOT be in the Big 10. If Delaney is forced to take ISU that means that a myriad of other teams rejected joining the Big 10 and I don't see that happening.

There is no way Iowa State will be in the Big 10. They are one of the likely "losers" in realignment along with Kansas, K-State and Baylor.

Notre Dame could also be on the outside looking in...it depends on how smart/stupid they are.

he posted this same thing over on cyclownfanatic - in that uh oh thread. he also posted that the big 12 should immediately invite several big 10 teams to join the big 12. riiiiggghhhttt.

There is NO way all the BCS conferences will pass on Kansas. I know this is the football section of the board but college basketball still exists and the last time I looked Kansas had a damn good basketball team.

SnowCraig, if you think Iowa State will get as much as a glance by the Big 10 you are certifiably delusional. They add absolutely 0 to any BCS conference, let alone the Big 12. Noone knows ISU exists as is. They will be a middle of the road program in a middle of the road conference.

If N.D. says "no" to Delaney and TX goes the PAC-10 route, as is being reported, is it really that beneficial for the B-10 to expand at all?

If N.D. says "no" to Delaney and TX goes the PAC-10 route, as is being reported, is it really that beneficial for the B-10 to expand at all?

Yes. Especially of the Pac 10 goes to 16. It's going to be the new trend in college football. Either keep up or get left behind.

Iowa St. in the B10? Hahaha, that's funny as they offer absolutely nothing. Rutgers will be a B10 member for the media market....

Based on some whispers, and my own intuition, here is how I think this thing plays out.

It looks like the Pac 10 is going to start the 16 team conference ball in motion. The conferences then shake out like this:

Big 10

Notre Dame
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa State
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas

ACC

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami (FL)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Rutgers
Pitt
Connecticut
Syracuse

Pac 10

Arizona
Arizona State
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Colorado

SEC

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Lousiville
South Florida
Memphis

So, who do I think the Big Loser is in all of this? K State and Baylor, who I think are most likely headed to Conference USA and the Sun Belt. Kansas could be a loser in this too, if they get hog tied to Kansas State's fate. Memphis get to be the big winner, as the SEC would be happy to welcome their Fed Ex money. I am, however struggling to come up with a 16th SEC team. I was thinking one of Houston / Rice / TCU / Baylor, as the SEC would love to open up the state of Texas for recruiting. I do think the Big East will live on, but as a basketball conference possibly with FCS football.

wow, this the first time ive seen this list

my take: unfortunately 4-5 super conferences playing in a bcs football playoff. I think the big 12 leftovers: isu,kansas,ksu, baylor, will join the mountain west with boise state,

big ten will unfortunately go to 16 with a south and east location, plus the domers.

big ten additions: nd,mo.rutgers,uconn, and pitt, hope im wrong and the big ten goes to only 12 teams.

Isn't Baylor in the AAU also? if so I think the Big 10 would take them before they took ISU. it would give them atleast someone down south to market towards.

You should know by now there is only 1 rule that must be followed when speculating on future conferences, and that is ISU gets left out. Beyond that you can throw together any crazy combination you want.

You should know by now there is only 1 rule that must be followed when speculating on future conferences, and that is ISU gets left out. Beyond that you can throw together any crazy combination you want.

Northern Iowa, Northern Illinois, Southern Miss, Marquette, and Hawaii.

It would give you more money in a conference title game, and you can add Rutgers, Mizzou and Nebraska and stay even financially or close to it, and have two seven team divisions...but no, the Big Ten does not need to do anything and it would be just fine. It's not like all of the sudden people are going to start saying the Big Ten champion is not worthy of an automatic BCS bid.

Big 10

Notre Dame
Penn State
Ohio State
Michigan
Michigan State
Indiana
Purdue
Illinois
Northwestern
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Iowa
Iowa State
Missouri
Nebraska
Kansas

ACC

Boston College
Clemson
Duke
Florida State
Georgia Tech
Maryland
Miami (FL)
North Carolina
North Carolina State
Virginia
Virginia Tech
Wake Forest
Rutgers
Pitt
Connecticut
Syracuse

Pac 10

Arizona
Arizona State
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State
Texas
Texas A&M
Oklahoma
Oklahoma State
Texas Tech
Colorado

SEC

Alabama
Arkansas
Auburn
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
South Carolina
Tennessee
Vanderbilt
Lousiville
South Florida
Memphis

I think you are too quick to draw conclusions but if this did happen the b10 lost badly!

There is NO chance that the teams you named will be part of the Big10. ND will take their money and go to the ACC or the Big East. Iowa State has about as much of a shot at becoming part of the Big10 as Northern Iowa. Nebraska brings little more than a football program and the AAU tie. Missouri brings less than Nebraska in terms of athletics but does bring a bigger albeit not that much bigger TV market. KU brings basketball and the AAU tie along with the KC market.

Why in the world would the Big10 expand just to expand? Your scenario is just spreading the huge TV revenue to schools that don't bring much if anything.

Memphis is not going SEC. I live in Memphis' radio footprint. Nobody here is saying that. They are actually saying they expect the SEC to get the other Florida schools to jump from the ACC. Don't have any idea of the validity of that argument. It isn't something I immediately expected.

There is NO chance that the teams you named will be part of the Big10. ND will take their money and go to the ACC or the Big East. Iowa State has about as much of a shot at becoming part of the Big10 as Northern Iowa. Nebraska brings little more than a football program and the AAU tie. Missouri brings less than Nebraska in terms of athletics but does bring a bigger albeit not that much bigger TV market. KU brings basketball and the AAU tie along with the KC market.

Why in the world would the Big10 expand just to expand? Your scenario is just spreading the huge TV revenue to schools that don't bring much if anything.
You can bank Nebraska and Missouri as being added to the B10, its a foregone conclusion.

Latest posts