My only true question: Did we truly hire the BEST available coaches out there?

Of course it would be interesting to see who else was interested, but those secrets are now forever locked in the vaults of Fort Kinnick.

Yep, this seems like a really good way to operate.

Kirk: "We'd like to announce the promotion of Phil Parker to defensive coordinator. Phil has been with us for a number of years, and we think he'll do a decent job as defensive coordinator. We also interviewed Jim Herrmann. While he was eager to leave the Giants, we didn't like his last couple years with Michigan enough to bank on him being considerably better than Parker for the position.

"Mike Stoops was also interested, and we thought he'd be better than Parker, but Sally Mason said there was no way we could find the funds to pay an assistant football coach $750,000. Also, we "interviewed" Darrell Wilson, but it was really more of a chat over lunch. We didn't want him to feel bad by being left out, so you know, we more or less interviewed him, too. Mostly I thought it was important to have 100% transparency in our interviewing process. I hope this puts to rest any additional questions that may have arisen with this hire, and we can all move past it and consider it a done deal."

You really believe this?

These hires had NOTHING to do with the hiring the best possible coaches. It had everything to do with loyalty and friendship and nothing more. Even IF one of the coaches are not doing the best possible job they can, it does not matter.

Those two aspects are more important to KF than the Iowa football program and with the status of his contract, that being Iowa having no possible way of ever firing him, he can do whatever he wants and no one can tell him beans. He has complete control over the Iowa Football Program. Even the AD cannot tell him one thing. He can go 1-11 and still not change one thing and laugh all the way to the bank and Iowa cannot do one thing about it.

or are you just spouting stuff? Seriously.

These hires had NOTHING to do with the hiring the best possible coaches. It had everything to do with loyalty and friendship and nothing more. Even IF one of the coaches are not doing the best possible job they can, it does not matter.

Those two aspects are more important to KF than the Iowa football program and with the status of his contract, that being Iowa having no possible way of ever firing him, he can do whatever he wants and no one can tell him beans. He has complete control over the Iowa Football Program. Even the AD cannot tell him one thing. He can go 1-11 and still not change one thing and laugh all the way to the bank and Iowa cannot do one thing about it.
Hiring 101, you may get impressive resumes and impressive letters of recommendation but if the applicant isn’t a good fit for the team it won’t work out. Phil has been with the program how long? He is capable of doing the job and already meshes with the team. No brainer pick in my opinion. Why did Ferentz wait so long? Who knows the CEO's timeline?

For the right price anyone can be made available. To paraphrase a great poet Kirk is more comfortable with the known knowns; these are the things that he knows he knows.

He's not as comfortable with the known unknowns, which are the things he knows he doesn't know.

Worse yet are the unknown unknowns, which is to say the things he doesn't know he doesn't know.

Is that you Rummy? I didn't know the ex-defense secretary was a Hawkeye fan!

No, I think KF and staff purposely hired from within because they knew it would elicit ididotic thread topics like "My only true question..", followed by a post with numerous questions which, as is obvious from the thread title, are not "true" questions.

Way to add some insightful comments to the thread ... Well thought out ...

Latest posts