My hope for the Big 10's future

BSpringsteen

We all know that we are going to be forced to change, here is what I would like to see.

I don't want to expand still within two divisions because as the divisions get bigger, our chances of playing a new team from the east is negligible at best. As that is the area we are likely to expand in, teams in the west would barely be noticeable for teams in the east.

So I want 4 divisions and a playoff within the Big 10!

Big 10 West:

Iowa
Nebraska
Wisconsin
Minnesota
Northwestern

Big 10 South:

Missouri
Oklahoma
Illinois
Ohio State
Texas

Big 10 North:

Michigan
Michigan State
Purdue
Notre Dame
Indiana

Big 10 East:

Penn State
Pitt
Maryland
Virginia
Boston College

These may need to be adjusted for competitive balance but adding UVA and Maryland dominate the DC market, Boston College is a big deal in Boston. Penn State is a much bigger deal in NYC and Jersey than Rutgers is.

You'd play your four division games, and then 2 teams from each other division. 10 game conference schedule.

Division winners square off in a four team playoff.

To hell with the BCS, we would dominate every major tv market in the eastern half of the country. Just be the Big 10 champ. If we do this, that is basically the same thing as national champ.

Seriously? Pitt, BC, Maryland, and UVA? Why would you be actively seeking out mediocre sports programs? Also, why Texas? Aren't all of the BigIX's problems caused by the fact they won't play with others, the exact raison d'etre of the Big 10?

Also, BC attracted 38,000 fans a game last year. They have never won a conference championship. They are definitely not a big deal in Boston.

That said, I really like the four pods alignment. Just filter out the crap, get off your high horses, and look at VT, OU, and Mizzou.

If that ever happens, can we just stop calling it the Big Ten? It's tough enough with 12 teams. Call it SuperConference 1, the winner of which will play the winner of SuperConference 2 for the NC.

Each team in the Big Ten got $23 million in TV revenue way back in 2010. Added revenue from the championship game is going to push that figure close to $30mil in the very near future. And they are supposed to be worried about the SEC potentially adding a mediocre football program from rural Texas?

You say that the Big Ten's hand will be forced, but it's the Big Ten that's been doing the forcing-- first with its own TV network, then with its addition of Nebraska that started the dissolution of the Big 12. They don't need to go around begging run-of-the-mill and geographically distant universities to join them in order to have influence-- they already have it.

OSU in the south....lol. And with Oklahoma and Texas? Haha silly.

Having OSU, Texas, and OU together would never happen. Maybe they should make 4 divisions and have OSU, Texas, OU, and Michigan be the captains and they draft who is in their divisions.

This whole superconference stuff is stupid and it sucks.

If that ever happens, can we just stop calling it the Big Ten? It's tough enough with 12 teams. Call it SuperConference 1, the winner of which will play the winner of SuperConference 2 for the NC.

Why? It's been 20 years since it has had 10 teams. You're not used to it yet?

It's called branding. Do you also ask Coca-Cola to change names since it doesn't contain Cocaine anymore?

I'm just happy the Hawks have a nice safe home in the Big 1G. Anything the conference needs to do to keep it secure, I'm for.

People seem to really hate the fact that college football doesn't fit into a neat little package. And there's no way it can. I, too, would like to see something similar to the NFL in the structure of the season. But let's not forget, these are STUDENT-athletes at academic establishments. The NFL is strictly an entertainment business. Frankly, I hate that colleges and universities across the country have adopted this style of improving profit margins. I don't want to turn college football into Pre-NFL.

People seem to really hate the fact that college football doesn't fit into a neat little package. And there's no way it can. I, too, would like to see something similar to the NFL in the structure of the season. But let's not forget, these are STUDENT-athletes at academic establishments. The NFL is strictly an entertainment business. Frankly, I hate that colleges and universities across the country have adopted this style of improving profit margins. I don't want to turn college football into Pre-NFL.

HA_HA_HA,_OH_WOW.jpg

Having OSU, Texas, and OU together would never happen. Maybe they should make 4 divisions and have OSU, Texas, OU, and Michigan be the captains and they draft who is in their divisions.

This whole superconference stuff is stupid and it sucks.

Agreed.

The big 10 south looks insanely difficult. O$u, Texas, OU. Wow. Three teams from one division are perennial BCS bowl teams...

Latest posts