My hoops season prediction for Iowa and the Big Ten Race

Pretty close to what I picked.

I have Iowa losing to Xaiver.
I have Iowa beating UNI.
I have Iowa losing to Minny at CHA.
I have Iowa beating PSU at PSU.
Not sure about Iowa winning at Michigan.

Anything over 13 wins will be a bonus.

As for the league I have:

MSU
OSU
PU
ILL
Minny
Wis
NW
IU
PSU
Iowa
Mich

OSU could steamroll everyone but MSU,and vice versa. They both should make the final four.
PU will still be tough.
Minny is a sleeper,if Joseph gets his act together.
NW could jump up and make the tourny...same song,but it is possible.

I think the Hawks lose to Xavier but beat UNI. And I think they split the ISU/Drake games. Not sure which one but thats my thoughts.

When the dust settles............

Pretty close to what I picked.

I have Iowa losing to Xaiver.
I have Iowa beating UNI.
I have Iowa losing to Minny at CHA.
I have Iowa beating PSU at PSU.
Not sure about Iowa winning at Michigan.

Anything over 13 wins will be a bonus.

As for the league I have:

MSU
OSU
PU
ILL
Minny
Wis
NW
IU
PSU
Iowa
Mich

OSU could steamroll everyone but MSU,and vice versa. They both should make the final four.
PU will still be tough.
Minny is a sleeper,if Joseph gets his act together.
NW could jump up and make the tourny...same song,but it is possible.
I am agreeing with you, but there are a few i disagree with you.

I think Iowa Beats Xavier
Iowa will beat Minny at Carver
Iowa will not beat Michigan at Michigan
Iowa will upset one of the top 4 teams this year at home! I'm saying PU at home!

My prediction:
OSU
MSU
ILL
PU
WIS
Mich
Minny
Iowa
PSU
NW
IU

i am pretty sure Fran will talk to Kirk and realize we have a few things to clean up---then we will compete for the big ten title this year. Well maybe in a couple of years?

Might be time to revise these predictions.

Really? Do you really mean that? One game changes our entire outlook on the team, which Stormin' only picked to win 14 games anyway?

That was not a well played game. I don't think anybody hear thinks Iowa can beat anyone if they play like that. Most of us are assuming they will play better. 14 wins isn't exactly setting the world on fire. There's no reason, today's game included, that they can't win 14 games if they play well.

That was one game where team 1 shot lights out and team 2 didn't. Team 2 was also without their court leader and leading scorer. So yeah that kind of hurt them.

SDSU is a good team and they remind me of a UNI type team, full of shooters and very mobile big men. They will be a tough team this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a lot of games this year and be in the NCAA.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 17 wins, they will win some and they will lose some.

Really? Do you really mean that? One game changes our entire outlook on the team, which Stormin' only picked to win 14 games anyway?

That was not a well played game. I don't think anybody hear thinks Iowa can beat anyone if they play like that. Most of us are assuming they will play better. 14 wins isn't exactly setting the world on fire. There's no reason, today's game included, that they can't win 14 games if they play well.
I always wondered what happened to that Baghdad Bob guy..........hmm....

That was one game where team 1 shot lights out and team 2 didn't. Team 2 was also without their court leader and leading scorer. So yeah that kind of hurt them.

SDSU is a good team and they remind me of a UNI type team, full of shooters and very mobile big men. They will be a tough team this year, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win a lot of games this year and be in the NCAA.

I'm sticking with my prediction of 17 wins, they will win some and they will lose some.

Yep. That's pretty easy to do when you're constantly wide open. Was not impressed with the D today at all, but that happens when you come out flat and with no fire.

Wow. This board is in denial about the state of our basketball program.

We just lost, at home, to a very mediocre team that was 14-16 last year, and they really handed it to us.

I realize Gatens did not play, but one player can't make that much difference.

We looked lost out there. We have no real athleticism (except for May and Cole). There is a reason our new recruits didn't get a lot of offers from other programs.

This will be one of the worst Iowa BB teams in history in a league that has NEVER been better.

I see 5 non-conference wins and 4 Big Ten wins. 9 wins, best case.

I'm sorry to be so negative, but you have to be honest about our chances.

I do like Coach Fran and his system. He will win if IF he can recruit better talent. It is not there right now!!!

It won't change until the talent level changes. It is about players, not systems. An old saying: "It's not the x's and the o's, it's the Larrys and the Joes."

sorry, this team isn't going to win 14 games. if they some how do, a banner needs to be hung in CHA to commemorate such an accomplishment!!!!!

Based off one game? Honestly?

Speaking for myself, I would say that yes, adjusting my prediction after yesterday's game might be reasonable. After all, my prediction was made before having seen the team play a single game. Winning games like at home vs. SDSU were the types of games I thought we would win as part of my 12-win prediction.

I realize that we might improve, but if we are unable to win these early-season "cupcake" games, then I may need to lower my prediction a bit. Might have to call it 11 wins now after missing on this one. But we lost this one, so I feel less confidence about other predicted W's now as well.

Predictions are just predictions and don't mean anything, but yesterday's games was one of the few I really thought we'd put under our belt.

Based off one game? Honestly?

You really expected us to look that bad? There's no way that was the kind of play you expected yesterday. Not trying to be negative, but I'm a realist, there is no way this team is going to win 14 games. You put these kind of predictions up on the site (like your NCAA tournament prediction for the team last year and Jon's 12-0 prediction for football this year) and it feeds into these huge meltdowns when we lose. I was predicting 10 wins this year and I'm adjusting it to 6-7. And if you honestly still think we can win 14, I would be more than willing to make a $100 bet to the charity of the winners choice that we don't get to 14 wins.

Last edited:
You really expected us to look that bad? There's no way that was the kind of play you expected yesterday. Not trying to be negative, but I'm a realist, there is no way this team is going to win 14 games. You put these kind of predictions up on the site (like your NCAA tournament prediction for the team last year and Jon's 12-0 prediction for football this year) and it feeds into these huge meltdowns when we lose. I was predicting 10 wins this year and I'm adjusting it to 6-7. And if you honestly still think we can win 14, I would be more than willing to make a $100 bet to the charity of the winners choice that we don't get to 14 wins.

I don't think Iowa wins 14 either, but I would be willing to bet $100 that Iowa gets more than 6 or 7 wins. Iowa wins yesterday with a healthy Gatens. Also if they make just half the layups they missed they probably win. Iowa beat themselves more than SDSU beat Iowa with stupid mistakes and missing easy layups that can be corrected.

The offense is a work in progress, Fran will tell you that. They need time to get it flowing. Too many times yesterday people were out of place and had no idea where to go with the ball. This will improve. A healthy Gatens would have helped yesterday afternoon.

A lot of stupid little mistakes added up for Iowa. They had a chance to get it to a dbl-digit lead and missed some easy shots. Iowa just needs to clean up the sloppiness.

Latest posts