My first Bball related post...on any board

Travisam

I don't have any answers or suggestions on hirings, firings, or anything else for that matter, but I will say this. Watching this team play feels and looks like a High School basketball game. I almost feel like it is so bad that they drag the other team into the same place many times.

Secondly, and probably most importantly, the players look like they are miserable. They're not having any fun whatsoever, and Gatens is honestly the one that stands out the most. I feel awful for him. I know losing isn't fun, but he really appears to be miserable.

I don't know what the answers are, but this is really sad. I just miss the way Iowa basketball was when I was growing up.

I dont think that Gatens will leave. No way. He'll tough it out and have played through possibly the worst four years of Iowa basketball ever, and that is a shame.

I dont think that Gatens will leave. No way. He'll tough it out and have played through possibly the worst four years of Iowa basketball ever, and that is a shame.

I hope you're right about Matt's loyalty. I'll tell you this, if he does - he will ALWAYS be one of my favorite Hawks. He has the talent, work ethic and intangibles to do very well in a much better program in my opinion.

qft

and yes, that is a shame. I so looked forward to Matt being a Hawkeye, and now I feel so bad because I know the glory that he imagined will never be a reality and it really stinks.

He will never know what it is like to play in front of full, excited Carver arena, playing exciting competetive ballgames in the Big 10, getting ready to play in the NCAA.

Instead he is playing during the worst period of Iowa bb for the worst coach Iowa has EVER had and no one cares. None of these guys look like they are having any fun whatsoever and it is only going to get worse as this season progresses.

I just don't see how all of these guys stay next year or how one of the guys coming in next year don't try to get out of their commitment.

If nothing else, Lickliter should do the honorable thing for the players and fans and for Iowa and resign even if he won't do it for himself. Doesn't he realize how despised he actually is by so many fans or does he just live in vacuum?

I hope you are right Jon. His body language currently is very concerning however and worrisome. The kid grew up waiting to wear black and gold then he gets the chance and gets rewarded with the worst stretch in Iowa basketball history. I feel very bad for him and his family. Their loyalty is second to none. Izzo even said "I’d give my right arm to have that kid." That is saying a ton. Love this kid's loyalty, he deserves so much better.

Last edited:
His dad played in an era of pretty tough sledding too

I'm pretty sure Mike played at least one, if not two years under Lute, and even Lute's first year was far superior to the any of Lick's teams. Not to mention that Iowa at least had winning home records in all the years that Mike played.

It's bad now, but bb can be turned around much easier in one year than fb. Normally I side with the pessimists, but I still see some good albeit inexperienced and young players. No doubt it's tough to watch, but haven't given up on TL yet.

I completely agree with Jon. No way does Gatens leave. He's one of those guys that will stick it out rain or shine.

Hey, imported_jocohawk...

Is that really you, MM from KC?

Have you taken on a new persona with this comment:)?

If Matt is even close to leaving, it is time to pull the plug on this disaster. Losing Matt Gatens to keep the captain of this sinking ship would be unforgiveable.

Barta needs to pull the plug and hire someone who can come in and bring instant upgrades in talent.

Matt Gatens should not have to suffer for four years because Barta is too chicken to do what needs to be done.

Gatens should work on his shot off the dribble and maybe he wouldn't be so frustrated.

His shots when he misses are not even close.

Love the kid. I wouldn't trade him out but he has to take a deep breath

Jon, I hope you're right. I don't know Matt, haven't talked to him, don't get to watch practices or see him and the rest of the players during timeouts. All I can go by is facial expressions, body language and actions on the floor.

Where I used to see fiery, hard play by Matt, competing in roles he was not prepared to play, I'm now seeing a deep sense of frustration. He's been beaten up, physically, mentally and emotionally. Teams seem to know that he is the one true player on this Iowa team, and he pays the price.

Last night it looked to me like he played the last 8 eight minutes or so in his own game ... not the team's. He dribbled far more, tried to take the ball to the basket, looked off passes and took long-range shots. He looks extraordinarily unhappy, and perhaps rightfully so.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this, but that's what I sensed last night.

And I don't sense any of the players are buying into the program -- whatever that is -- any more.

I know Matt wanted to be a Hawkeye almost from the beginning. But I'm not so sure wouldn't try to spend his last two years somewhere else in a more competitive program where his talents can be highlighted.

I know that Gatens committed to the program while Alford was still our coach, is from Iowa City, and obviously bleeds black and gold. If Gatens sticks with this program for four years, that is the definition of a true Hawkeye player. He is the best player on the team, and is the one player I figure we will never see walk out the door. If he does leave, it is all over for Lickliter IMO.