My concerns for Sat...

03bizHawk

I do think we will win a close game, but there is little margin for error.
My biggest worries are FG kicking and out LB's.
KF sounded like Tarp won't be back, which I do not like to hear one bit. Johnson is serviceable, but i'd prefer Tarp. Our DL will have their hands more full than they have all season with that giant OL in front of them. We are going to need our LB's to step up and be ready to hit big Clay and White. I just have a bad feeling it's going to be frustrating to watch them get 3-4 yds a pop on the ground.
2nd- has anyone heard anything new on Daniel Murray? I'm worried there could be a lot of FG opportunities in this type of game. That's a pretty big task for a walk on true freshman.

I'm not worried about FGs. I like what KF said about the walk-on. So much of success is attributable to attitude and commitment, and from KF said it sounds like this kid is really committed. I'd love to see him get the opportunity with the game on the line.

LB is more of a concern. And beaverdale, you're right -- Hyde better have put in a bunch of time this week healing his burns from last Saturday. Otherwise it could be a long afternoon.

A slow start for Iowa. We need to put points on the board early, let the defense make some stops, and do damage with every offensive possession (even if the damage doesn't result in points).

The concern that folks should have about Iowa's CBs regards whether they bite on play-action. Wisky has WRs who could hurt us. While I think that folks are blowing Hyde's "issues" out of proportion, we will NEED quality CB play against Wisky.

Also, perhaps a bigger concern of mine is the fact that we're really going to have to place A LOT of effort into containing Kendricks. And, in so doing, I hope that it doesn't "cost" us when it comes to run D.

Lastly, I hope that the increased experience that Troy now has at the MIKE spot will allow him to learn from his mistakes. He needs to be a bit more disciplined when handling his gap responsibilities. He needs to make sure that he reads and reacts ... rather than just blindly filling a hole. If he continues to do that, we could end up seeing instances where we end up having 2 guys trying to fill the same gap ... and that then would leave an entire lane open. That would be VERY BAD against a quality running team like Wisky!

Another thing is that Iowa CANNOT afford to lose momentum by turnovers or poor special teams play. Wisky has been playing some pretty good opportunistic ball ... and if you give them an inch, they're capable of taking a mile.

If you look at some losses (Iowa to Arizona, Wisconsin to MSU, and OSU to Wisconsin), there were major special teams plays that helped determine the outcome. In each of those games, a kick/punt was run back for a touchdown.

I'm always worried about big mistakes (turnovers) early.

I'm worried about Kendricks.

A little worried about Toon/Gilreath.

Hope we can withstand the first quarter rushing onslaught (tons of fatty beef headed right at the defense).

I'm worried I'll forget the single barrel bourbon.

Just remember that the 2002 Iowa team had a big lead on PSU and let them come back and take the game into overtime, also had a struggle against Purdue where we had to win on the final drive of the game......

So even in our best season(s) we've had games where one aspect of the team had a let down.

I am more confident than ever our coaching staff having the right game plan. I do feel that the last 12 mins of the Michigan will be covered in practices this week, and be addressed. WI does not contain the same explosive offense or athletes that Michigan does....while that doesn't mean the defense can relax, it does make it a little easier to defend.

WI is coming off a huge victory, they do have momentum, but that could lead to a let down if they partied too hard after the victory. This game is in Kinnick, so that's an advantage, and hopefully the crowd can be as loud and distracting as they've ever been.

If i have a concern it's with Johnson at LB. While he made some great plays last week, he also had a few where he just wiffed on tackles. We cannot afford that this week. We will need our best tackling effort these next two weeks.

I would love to see Iowa come out and score right away and put the pressure on the WI offense, as i don't think they're capable of coming from behind, and it will start to negate maybe a slight advantage they have with their running game.

All the players can do is try their best. We'll see what happens.

I'm concerned that I'm not going to have enough booze at the tailgate. With Drake, Vin and racer heading over at some point and a 2:30 start I may have to find some more cooler space.

If you mean the game, this week will all come down to line play on both sides of the ball. It's that simple. Stop their run and force their pass and Iowa wins easily. If you allow White and Clay to run, it will be a long afternoon.

I'm worried that Fat John Clay averages less than 3 yards per carry. I'm worried that Robinson will average more yards per carry than both Clay and White. I'm worried that Tolzien finds himself in many 3rd and passing situations. I'm worried that Tolzien converts less than 45% of those said 3rd and passing situations. I'm worried that Tolzien will be sacked twice and pressured on anything more than 3 step drops.

I'm worried that Tolzien throws two interceptions. I'm worried that Wisconsin does not have an answer for DJK.

I'm worried that Kinnick will be louder than we've seen in a very long time. I'm worried that we'll get beneficial officiating due to home field advantage. I'm worried that McNutt will catch a jump ball TD.

I'm worried that Reisner outperforms Kendricks. I'm worred that Stanzi out performs Tolzien. I'm worried that Ferentz outcoaches Bielema. I'm worried that we win by 13+.

I'm worried that hwkwyld's tailgate will be out of adult bevvies by the time the A-Team rolls in around noon. :eek:;)
Oh, and I'm slightly concerned (not worried, exactly) that it may rain a bit, late in the game. I guess I better go buy a big ol' poncho on Friday. :D

My concern is the huge line of Wisconsin. I know Iowa has a great defensive line, but if they can't slow down the running game and force Wisconsin to pass it could be a tough Hawkeye day.

I'm worried that Fat John Clay averages less than 3 yards per carry. I'm worried that Robinson will average more yards per carry than both Clay and White. I'm worried that Tolzien finds himself in many 3rd and passing situations. I'm worried that Tolzien converts less than 45% of those said 3rd and passing situations. I'm worried that Tolzien will be sacked twice and pressured on anything more than 3 step drops.

I'm worried that Tolzien throws two interceptions. I'm worried that Wisconsin does not have an answer for DJK.

I'm worried that Kinnick will be louder than we've seen in a very long time. I'm worried that we'll get beneficial officiating due to home field advantage. I'm worried that McNutt will catch a jump ball TD.

I'm worried that Reisner outperforms Kendricks. I'm worred that Stanzi out performs Tolzien. I'm worried that Ferentz outcoaches Bielema. I'm worried that we win by 13+.

This is correct. Don't ruin it.

If you arent concerned then that means the rest of us should be very concerned

Clay will average over 3 ypc...what would you like to wager?

Latest posts