MWC + CUSA... + Big East!?

silvanthalas

Source: Three conference heads to meet
Source: Big East to meet with Conference USA, Mountain West - ESPN

"The commissioners of the Mountain West Conference, Conference USA and the Big East Conference are planning to meet to discuss the possibility of forming a single football league, a commissioner source with knowledge of the meeting said.The three conferences are considering creating a nationwide football superconference of 28 to 32 teams, with the goal of gaining an automatic Bowl Championship Series qualifying bid, according to multiple reports."

its simply 4 smaller conferences trying to gain a BCS bid by having the 4 teams play for the 1 spot.

its simply 4 smaller conferences trying to gain a BCS bid by having the 4 teams play for the 1 spot.

The guys I talked to were pretty convinced that the superconferences would end the BCS, as the conferences would leave the NCAA in football and start their own system.

The scenario you talked about was what I first thought was where they were going, but that was not what they expected would be the result in the long run.

I guess after the whole West Virginia thing, the Big East decided to call this bit of insanity off (at least for the time being). Instead, it sounds like the Big East just plans to raid CUSA and MWC for whomever they can get in the hopes of surviving.

One of these conferences has got to disappear off the map, right?

The Big East is fighting to keep its AQ status and it sounded like they turned down Conf USA's idea. I think the Big East will continue to refill its conference with those in Conf USA. If Louisville and W Virginia leave then it appears highly unlikely they will be able to keep it.

hell.. if they're going to have that many teams... they would only play 1/4 of the teams in the conference.. .why don't they just seed them and do a playoff. Forget the BCS bowl. Try to steal the show with a playoff.

IBA - look at my post and read my comments from the prior thread. That is exactly what they expect will happen in the long run. But just because the Superconferences will bail the NCAA.

IBA - look at my post and read my comments from the prior thread. That is exactly what they expect will happen in the long run. But just because the Superconferences will bail the NCAA.

I agree completely, CAARHawk. I don't see any way that continued expansion won't doom the BCS. The BCS is continuing to get pressure to be more inclusive which means there's no chance they'll increase the number of automatic berths for the 4 main conferences regardless of how much of the collegiate football power they gather. So as those conferences continue to grow there's an increasing chance of top quality teams getting left out of the big show because of politics (yeah, I know...that already happens, but it would only get worse).

The very likely result is the big conferences pulling out and handling matters themselves.

With the announcement today of the Big East poaching CUSA, things are falling into place for my school to be invited into CUSA.

As I said earlier, they came to talk with our people in early September expecting that they would lose teams and floating the idea of a national superconference.

The leftovers from the Big East are supposed to be in that group. However, until the Superconferences get finalized, expect hh

Oops. Phone malfunction. Until the Superconferences get finalized, the Big East will keep adding teams because their TV contract and auto-bid.

When the Superconferences bail the NCAA the autobids will disappear and the TV money will dry up forcing the remaining BE schools to join the one major conference.

Latest posts