Music City Bowl tickets: starting at $6 on StubHub

Sooby

This isn't on the Music City not selecting Iowa, because NO bowl should select a team with a 2-win, plus a head-to-head victory, differential.

All Iowa had to do was beat an average Purdue team at home on Senior Day, and it's a, maybe, that the Music City Bowl, would've invited Iowa.

Iowa got the bowl it deserved.
To paraphrase Vince McMahon, "Iowa screwed Iowa." (reference to his famous "Bret Hart screwed Bret Hart" quote).

Agreed that it’s Iowa’s fault, but the Music City Bowl was still stupid for picking a team with a tiny fan base that doesn’t travel.

I think you will find that in general that interest in football is down and not just NFL. It's a variety of reasons.

Iowa is not the only program frustrated with it's coach and it's not just about winning/losing. The cat is out of the bag and it's not going back in.

Football will be drastically different in 10 years. We have reached Peak Football and now starting to decline.

I could list 10 reasons, most completely unrelated to KF. Anyone who watched the Adams hits and the NFL response to the 2nd is frankly getting sick of it. Kinnick is a terrific venue. The Hawk football interest will decline gradually and sped up as a portion of the fan base gets tired of the fat cat at the helm. Explain away all you want about being young and we're only Iowa, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know how to play Iowa. Apparently OSU's coach isn't very smart though or completely arrogant.

Good guys don't put the thumb to their fan base.

Finishing my rant, Duke set basketball back last night, keeping in starters (one how almost got hurt), to a 40 point halftime lead and a 60 plus point win. What was the point? MK never once smiled or looked like he was having fun. The huge Evansville coach seemed totally out of touch like he was disassociated with ptsd. Iowa would probably struggle with Evansville.

There is just a huge disconnect period with sports and politics.

I watched the game off and only to watch the psychology unfolding.

Evansville didn't quit. They just absolutely could not get any traction inside. If Iowa were to make the dance, they'd run into something like that.

Big question...is Kirk Ball worth the $$$$ to watch, whether in IC or on the road? Many will say yes, many others are walking...numb...used...tired...bored...hoodwinked...apathetic...Kirk-concussed...

Times have changed. The experience of watching games at home have surpassed watching them in person. Just wait until 5 years from now when we're all wearing VR headsets in our living rooms and actually down on the field watching the game unfold right in front of us. Believe me, its coming.

I have heard that Northwestern fans and alumni travel well for bowl games even though they don't show up for home games.

The Music City Bowl might ticket prices seem to contradict this idea.

Times have changed. The experience of watching games at home have surpassed watching them in person. Just wait until 5 years from now when we're all wearing VR headsets in our living rooms and actually down on the field watching the game unfold right in front of us. Believe me, its coming.

And it will be just as popular as at home 3d TV

I don't think you can blame it on the "times" because had Iowa gone, I think it would have been a strong turnout.

But as much as it has played in our favor, I don't think its fair to slight a team on a bowl they played to earn because another fan base travels better.

I used to wait in anticipation all year to go to games, even though it’s a 5 hour drive and hotel room for my kid and me.

Now, with huge HD screens and decent tickets creeping up on $100 a piece, motel rooms at $150, and super cramped seating in shitty weather, that ten hours in a car doesn’t seem as attractive. The tipping point for me was the NW game last year. That’s when I started to lose enthusiasm. You could tell that Kirk has zero drive or incentive to change things up or try to win that ninth or tenth game every year which are the ones that count. When Baby Kirk got hired I thought for a few minutes there would be some life breathed back into the 3 page playbook, but it didn’t take long to figure out that’s not going to happen. Call me a fair weather fan if you want, but when Iowa has a coach who decides 6-6, 7-5 isn’t good enough with the money and facilities Iowa has...then I’ll make it a priority to get back and spend my (admittedly insignificant) money on this team. Hayden Fry didn’t hit 10 wins every season but he sure as hell didn’t have the catatonic, “definition of insanity” type attitude towards winning that daddy Ferentz does. No drive, no fire, no accountability. As long as you keep those three things in place you’ll have what we have.

I think you're vastly underestimating whats coming. Every major tech shop (google, amazon, microsoft, Samsung, netflix, apple, etc) are heavily invested in VR right now.

You mean some of the same ones that invested in 3D TV. Yeah, I know, thanks

You mean some of the same ones that invested in 3D TV. Yeah, I know, thanks

So because 3D tv was a horrible gimmick and a failure...everything else is a failure? I forgot streaming TV and smart tv's were a MASSIVE flop. Nobody would ever give up cable to stream content over the internet. Also, flat screen tvs and 4k content have been wild failures as well. Thanks

Times (and technology) aren't the only things that have changed, people have as well. Many are perfectly happy with a digital experience rather than the real one...be it a sporting event or a relationship with other people.

I love the pic on my HD big screen. But there's nothing like being in the 35th row of Kinnick when the place explodes.

I think you will find that in general that interest in football is down and not just NFL. It's a variety of reasons.

Iowa is not the only program frustrated with it's coach and it's not just about winning/losing. The cat is out of the bag and it's not going back in.

Football will be drastically different in 10 years. We have reached Peak Football and now starting to decline.

I could list 10 reasons, most completely unrelated to KF. Anyone who watched the Adams hits and the NFL response to the 2nd is frankly getting sick of it. Kinnick is a terrific venue. The Hawk football interest will decline gradually and sped up as a portion of the fan base gets tired of the fat cat at the helm. Explain away all you want about being young and we're only Iowa, but it doesn't take a brain surgeon to know how to play Iowa. Apparently OSU's coach isn't very smart though or completely arrogant.

Good guys don't put the thumb to their fan base.

Finishing my rant, Duke set basketball back last night, keeping in starters (one how almost got hurt), to a 40 point halftime lead and a 60 plus point win. What was the point? MK never once smiled or looked like he was having fun. The huge Evansville coach seemed totally out of touch like he was disassociated with ptsd. Iowa would probably struggle with Evansville.

There is just a huge disconnect period with sports and politics.

I watched the game off and only to watch the psychology unfolding.

Evansville didn't quit. They just absolutely could not get any traction inside. If Iowa were to make the dance, they'd run into something like that.

Hey Gold you disappoint me. Seems you forgot to lecture us all about how Soccer is gonna take over the US soon.

Sorry man, but I give this a D grade as far as @HawkGold I know more than everyone else lecture.

So because 3D tv was a horrible gimmick and a failure...everything else is a failure? I forgot streaming TV and smart tv's were a MASSIVE flop. Nobody would ever give up cable to stream content over the internet. Also, flat screen tvs and 4k content have been wild failures as well. Thanks

You're comparing apples to oranges. VR isn't going to be the end all be all. It's going to hardly be a nice to have.

I . Anyone who watched the Adams hits and the NFL response to the 2nd is frankly getting sick of it. Kinnick is a terrific venue. The Hawk football interest will decline gradually and sped up as a portion of the fan base gets tired of the fat cat at the helm. Explain away all you want about being .

Didnt the Panthers player get a two game suspension? And without pay. The only thing that affects a pro doing illegal hits or anything else is loss of playing time and their money. The fines and suspensions need to get harsher so that players start hitting below the shoulders. There are enough very hard hits that are accidental to not want these targeting calls.

College ball is keeping track of how many personal fouls and targeting certain players get called for. Of course they lose more that one half of a game getting kicked out for targeting and if they repeat it too often they will lose more time.

You're comparing apples to oranges. VR isn't going to be the end all be all. It's going to hardly be a nice to have.

You're comparing VR to 3D televisions and saying I'm comparing apples to oranges, lol. I never said it was going to be the end all, but its 100% going to dramatically change home entertainment as we know it.

Latest posts