Murray Twins

I think you redshirt the Murray’s and Perkins. Ogundele won’t play much but need another big body in certain situations. The question really becomes if Perkins is okay taking a redshirt.

I think you redshirt the Murray’s and Perkins. Ogundele won’t play much but need another big body in certain situations. The question really becomes if Perkins is okay taking a redshirt.

I seriously think we could benefit GREATLY with him on the floor THIS YEAR!

McCaffery gives the kids a say in whether they want to redshirt or not. I highly doubt that the Murrays' will want to be separated. And going by the recruiting videos, although limited, it would appear that Ogundale is the least ready to step in and play at this level.

McCaffery gives the kids a say in whether they want to redshirt or not. I highly doubt that the Murrays' will want to be separated. And going by the recruiting videos, although limited, it would appear that Ogundale is the least ready to step in and play at this level.

He may be the least ready, but he's going to have to get ready because we only have 1 true post (Luka) on the roster other than him. Nunge is not a true post player.

I would agree with SpiderRico above; he may be the least ready, but he's prolly the most needed.

He may be the least ready, but he's going to have to get ready because we only have 1 true post (Luka) on the roster other than him. Nunge is not a true post player.

Agreed. Plus even with the extra year being granted for Nunge, when Garza is gone, having a player that has at least played some vs no experience will help future teams.

This next season I'd be fine with no redshirts, because this is a legit title contender team assuming Garza is back. It sucks for the player if they only play 20-30 minutes the whole year and lose that year of eligibility. But a school like Iowa these types of seasons are once in a lifetime.

Yup. Either of those 2 get in foul trouble or hurt and all of a sudden the kid not only has to play more then a little but significant mins. Best case scenario Garza and Nunge stay healthy and out of foul trouble most of the time and the youngster plays 5-10 mins a game here and there gaining some experience but without the pressure to have a big impact.

I doubt the twins would want to be separated either but.... Those two and PM all basically playing the same position and having 4 yrs of eligibility almost begs for one of them to RS. Now I think it's not something that needs to be decided now or right before the season even starts. They have that 10 game window so let some of or all of that play out and decide then...

A lot of teams play with only one post player. Hell, we did almost all of last season. Connor was fine at the 4. Patrick seems to be getting stronger and putting on a bit of weight. He can play a little 4 if needed. We don't need the Murray twins to play, but if we do, we only need one of them.

But, I agree with the other posts saying Ogundale may be the least ready, but to me, he is the only must not redshirt of the incoming 5. We will need a couple fouls and some minutes from him every night, IMHO.

A lot of teams play with only one post player. Hell, we did almost all of last season. Connor was fine at the 4. Patrick seems to be getting stronger and putting on a bit of weight. He can play a little 4 if needed. We don't need the Murray twins to play, but if we do, we only need one of them.

But, I agree with the other posts saying Ogundale may be the least ready, but to me, he is the only must not redshirt of the incoming 5. We will need a couple fouls and some minutes from him every night, IMHO.

Do you know how long he has been playing and what his bball IQ is like? Is he a project/

I doubt the twins would want to be separated either but.... Those two and PM all basically playing the same position and having 4 yrs of eligibility almost begs for one of them to RS. Now I think it's not something that needs to be decided now or right before the season even starts. They have that 10 game window so let some of or all of that play out and decide then...
Doesn't the 10 game window only apply if they have an injury? I don't think basketball has adopted a similar rule to football where you can play 4 games and still keep your redshirt. I believe they can play any exhibition games but can't play any other game if they want to redshirt in basketball.

Doesn't the 10 game window only apply if they have an injury? I don't think basketball has adopted a similar rule to football where you can play 4 games and still keep your redshirt. I believe they can play any exhibition games but can't play any other game if they want to redshirt in basketball.
Hmm maybe... That could be the case good call I'm not sure now that you say that. Obviously it applied to JBo and Nunge but just for non injured kids I'm not sure.

Hmm maybe... That could be the case good call I'm not sure now that you say that. Obviously it applied to JBo and Nunge but just for non injured kids I'm not sure.

I think its dumb that basketball wouldn't have a similar rule to football. Redshirts in general seem to not get used as much in basketball as they do in football though.

We had Kreiner, which was huge in spelling Garza. But Nunge isn't Kreiner. Kreiner was an inside guy who could occasionally step outside. Nunge is an outside guy who can occasionally step inside. Big difference. We need that post guy that can spell Garza....even if it's only for 3-4 mins each half.

We had Kreiner, which was huge in spelling Garza. But Nunge isn't Kreiner. Kreiner was an inside guy who could occasionally step outside. Nunge is an outside guy who can occasionally step inside. Big difference. We need that post guy that can spell Garza....even if it's only for 3-4 mins each half.

To be fair, we don't really know what Nunge is as a player since his redshirt. He barely played last season. He bulked up for sure, but he also wasn't a great wing player. He is also 7FT 245. I believe he will be better than Kriener. And I think that he will do well at playing alongside or in place of Garza. I think he will be a better interior player than on the perimeter based on what i saw last year. But again we really don't know what kind of a player he is yet. The sample size is just too small.

To be fair, we don't really know what Nunge is as a player since his redshirt. He barely played last season. He bulked up for sure, but he also wasn't a great wing player. He is also 7FT 245. I believe he will be better than Kriener. And I think that he will do well at playing alongside or in place of Garza. I think he will be a better interior player than on the perimeter based on what i saw last year. But again we really don't know what kind of a player he is yet. The sample size is just too small.
You're correct, we don't know about Nunge. He looks like a guy who should play inside, yet he seems like a guy who wants to play outside. There's more opportunity for him as an inside guy, but only if he wants to be there. We'll see.

Latest posts