Murray Twins

Husky28

Everyone keeps talking about Perkins and Ulis being most likely to get minutes... I'm thinking, with Pemsl transferring, that one of the twins will see some playing time - maybe both. It'll mostly depend on Patrick getting healthy, I just think they'll have the size needed to bang down low when the situation dictates accordingly.

I'd like to see Ulis, Perkins and Ogundele redshirt unless they are so talented, they force McCaffery to play them. The Murray twins will be 20 years old this fall, so I expect them to play. I would think that it is rare to have 21 years old redshirt freshmen.

I'd like to see Ulis, Perkins and Ogundele redshirt unless they are so talented, they force McCaffery to play them. The Murray twins will be 20 years old this fall, so I expect them to play. I would think that it is rare to have 21 years old redshirt freshmen.

I think Ogundale is the only for sure non redshirt because without him playing that leaves only 2 true post players in Garza and Nunge.

The Murray twins are listed at 6-8 205. That is basically Joe Wieskamp and we have seem how he can get pushed around on the block. Also for reference Pemsl was listed at 6-8 248 last year. Granted weight isn't everything.

I agree with Ogundale. I don't think he's redshirting. Even though we play small a lot having only Garza and Nunge on the roster being over 6'8 and post players means Ogundale will be in there some. Hopefully not a ton but if either of those other two get hurt/nicked up foul trouble that's all it'd take for him to have to play significant mins. I'm totally ok with that too. I'm much more I favor of playing kids more earlier. Unless you have some physical developing to do like PM does or Baer did when he first came in. Or even Nunge with his unique situation with the roster as well. But to me physically if you can play like JT last yr. I say get in there and get your feet wet.

I'm not sure on the Murray Twins playing much or not. I think they'll stagger them with one redshirting though. With PM and those 2 that's 3 kids of similar position all in the same class. So I bet they'll have the Murray twins play 1 on 1 and whoever wins can decide which one plays next yr or not. Haha

Last edited:
Here's my selfish take: I say let's go full bore! Red shirt no-one! You know we're gonna have injuries during the year, Keep the depth and let's hunt a final four this year!! Yeah, I know, ain't gonna happen.

At first I thought maybe 3 players would redshirt but now I'm not so sure. Nunge is coming off an ACL tear and that can be a slow and complicated recovery. Patrick is coming off a really strange year.

I assume Fran will start with JBo/CJ/Connor/Wieskamp/Garza and thats going to be a lethal combination of players all who deserve significant minutes. After those guys your only real minutes eater from last year is Joe T. Fran likes to go 9/10 deep and with Patrick and Nunge being huge question marks you just never know.

I think Perkins could be a stud but the minutes might not be there for him next year. He's probably my top redshirt candidate....Fran can show him what a redshirt did for CJ and sell it pretty easily. Ogundale has to play, and with Nunge banged up at least one of the Murrays will have to play the 4 at times. Fran has had a short leash with Joe T which makes me think Uhlis could serve at least that Evelyn role next year.

Fran neeeeeeeds to turn this feel-good Garza success story into a big name big man very soon.

At first I thought maybe 3 players would redshirt but now I'm not so sure. Nunge is coming off an ACL tear and that can be a slow and complicated recovery. Patrick is coming off a really strange year.

I assume Fran will start with JBo/CJ/Connor/Wieskamp/Garza and thats going to be a lethal combination of players all who deserve significant minutes. After those guys your only real minutes eater from last year is Joe T. Fran likes to go 9/10 deep and with Patrick and Nunge being huge question marks you just never know.

I think Perkins could be a stud but the minutes might not be there for him next year. He's probably my top redshirt candidate....Fran can show him what a redshirt did for CJ and sell it pretty easily. Ogundale has to play, and with Nunge banged up at least one of the Murrays will have to play the 4 at times. Fran has had a short leash with Joe T which makes me think Uhlis could serve at least that Evelyn role next year.

Fran neeeeeeeds to turn this feel-good Garza success story into a big name big man very soon.

I'm thinking both Perkins and Uhliss are needed in case of re-injury to JBo or CJ [both of which were hurt last year, and we all know how we struggled when he went down for 3 games!] or if Joe T has a sophomore slump. We know one thing for sure, success in March is largely measured by a teams guard play! Better to have 5 than 3!! We hope Patrick is well enough to play , but look at Cordel P., one injury after another and PM was fighting the side effects of cancer, not injury. We also don't know if Nunge will stay healthy. The good news is, there's no need to red=-shirt until the Conf. schedule starts [or thereabouts]. Logically, to me, until the time comes to actually rs someone, I think only one of the twins should even be consider for a redshirt. The non-conf. schedule will determine who watches from the bench.

I'm thinking both Perkins and Uhliss are needed in case of re-injury to JBo or CJ [both of which were hurt last year, and we all know how we struggled when he went down for 3 games!] or if Joe T has a sophomore slump. We know one thing for sure, success in March is largely measured by a teams guard play! Better to have 5 than 3!! We hope Patrick is well enough to play , but look at Cordel P., one injury after another and PM was fighting the side effects of cancer, not injury. We also don't know if Nunge will stay healthy. The good news is, there's no need to red=-shirt until the Conf. schedule starts [or thereabouts]. Logically, to me, until the time comes to actually rs someone, I think only one of the twins should even be consider for a redshirt. The non-conf. schedule will determine who watches from the bench.
The only way you can play at all and not lose a year of eligibility is if you get hurt.

With the way the redshirt rules are nowadays, it would be very reasonable for Fran to give the news guys heavy minutes early on and see how it shakes out to some extent. The benefit is twofold: The players get valuable experience, while it also affords the coaches the opportunity to ascertain which of the new additions look like they should stay in the rotation moving forward.

Those that look like redshirt candidates can shut it down once they reach their allotted number of games but still be available to forfeit the redshirt if an injury occurs.

The tricky part is trying to accommodate all of the newcomer's minutes while minimizing the risk of losing games.

Did they change the redshirt rules to match football and I just haven't heard yet?
Sorry. I think my brain was more focused on the football rule. They would have the availability of non-regular season games only.

I do however think they should have a similar set up for basketball. It just makes sense.

Here's my selfish take: I say let's go full bore! Red shirt no-one! You know we're gonna have injuries during the year, Keep the depth and let's hunt a final four this year!! Yeah, I know, ain't gonna happen.
I HATE this idea only because Fran has demonstrated that he will play too long of a bench when he has a long bench to play with. I do not trust Fran to manage minutes and I do not want to see a 10 point lead evaporate while Garza and Bohannon are sitting on the bench for too long.

I think we need at least 2, and I hope 3 redshirts. I would redshirt the Murray twins and one of the two guards, most likely Ulis as he is more of a PG.

That would leave 10 guys to rotate. Obviously, if there are injuries, that would change.

I think you redshirt Uhlis, Perkins, and one of the Murray twins. Let the other Murray twin plus Ogundale play.

That gives you the following:

PG - JBo, JT, Connor
SG - CJF, JBo, JW
SF - JW, PMac, Murray
PF - Nunge, Connor, Ogundale
C - Garza, Nunge

The minutes would look something like:
Garza - 33
JW - 31
JBo - 28
CJF - 27
Connor - 25
JT - 18
Nunge - 16
PMac - 10
Murray - 6
Ogundale - 6

Sorry. I think my brain was more focused on the football rule. They would have the availability of non-regular season games only.

I do however think they should have a similar set up for basketball. It just makes sense.
I thought they were available for the first 10 games of the season, then had to decide Thought that's what JBo did last year. Maybe I'm mistaken though...

I thought they were available for the first 10 games of the season, then had to decide Thought that's what JBo did last year. Maybe I'm mistaken though...
At first Bohannon was afraid to play ant minutes and leave it up to the NCAA to decide if he gets another year. But then he ended up needing another surgery so he decided the odds were too small of getting screwed by the NCAA that it was worth rolling the dice.

Rob: will you help clarify the redshirting rules for me/us? Thanks.

I think you redshirt Uhlis, Perkins, and one of the Murray twins. Let the other Murray twin plus Ogundale play.

That gives you the following:

PG - JBo, JT, Connor
SG - CJF, JBo, JW
SF - JW, PMac, Murray
PF - Nunge, Connor, Ogundale
C - Garza, Nunge

The minutes would look something like:
Garza - 33
JW - 31
JBo - 28
CJF - 27
Connor - 25
JT - 18
Nunge - 16
PMac - 10
Murray - 6
Ogundale - 6
I don't like Connor at the PF position, To me, a team needs 8-10 points a game from that position. Tho I must say, he seemed to hold his own in the rebounding dept.

Latest posts