Murray struggled; Mossbrucker looked good

bud2380

I saw 5 kicks from each kicker from 40 yards. Murray went 1-5 pulling kick after kick to the left. Mossbrucker nailed all 5 and had plenty of leg. He was by far the better kicker today and the much stronger leg. I think he probably has the inside track for the starting job.

I saw 5 kicks from each kicker from 40 yards. Murray went 1-5 pulling kick after kick to the left. Mossbrucker nailed all 5 and had plenty of leg. He was by far the better kicker today and the much stronger leg. I think he probably has the inside track for the starting job.

I've had a feeling for a while that Mossbrucker might beat out Murray. I think the coaches decided last year that since they had two decent kickers to go ahead and redshirt the younger guy. M&M were splitting kicks in 2008 until...

Hopefully Mossbrucker doesnt kick knuckle balls like Murray does. We should have a better, more consistent kicker this year (at least I am hoping we do).......

I think that had Murray not made the kick against PSU in 2008, Mossbrucker would have been the guy all of last year. I think that the combination of the boost that came from that one kick, with the fact that they had 2 relatively close kickers with one being younger made it easy just to keep the redshirt on Mossbrucker. Murray was not great last year, but he was also never terrible enough for the coaches to waste the year for Mossbrucker.

I really wish Murray could put a firm hold on the position and kick well. I think Mossbrucker is better, and the only reason that he redshirted was because we wanted to keep him another year, and Murray had a slightly bigger leg. But it appears that is no longer the case, and Mossbrucker was definitely more reliable from inside 40 yards in 2008 (his two missed XP's against Minnesota not withstanding).

I just wish Murray could succeed. I'd hate to see the hero of that terrific PSU game end his career as a backup.

I really don't like Murray that much...if you remember at the time of the PSU game in 08 Mossbrucker had won the job...they switched to Murray for that kick based on one gut feeling.

I really don't like Murray that much...if you remember at the time of the PSU game in 08 Mossbrucker had won the job...they switched to Murray for that kick based on one gut feeling.

That and Mossbrucker was a freshman, and that was one of the biggest FG attempts in school history. Ferentz went with the older player in that situation for that reason, I believe.

What about the stud from austrailia? Man, watch that video, this kid will put the ball any where you want it and kick a field good from the other end of the field if you need it.

my understanding is that they "pink" shirted him, meaning that basically he gets to practise this spring and that is it, and then next year would be redshirted..... so its going to be 2 years b4 we see action out of him, which may fit nicely if mossbrucker(sp?) takes over these next 2 years and we could be set to have a solid (maybe even better?) replacement......

IDK, i wouldn't mind reshirted the guy now or see what he can do..... there's a reason why special teams are called special ;-)

Bottom line, fg kicking is huge for Iowa as we tend to play close games. Now, Murray did hit a number of important fgs the last 15 games but he missed the biggest fg of the season,a chippie vs OSU that would have ended up being a game winner,and a Big Ten title winner and Rose Bowl bound winner.....just like in 2005 when Schlicher missed two chippies that cost us the Big Ten title,one against Michigan and one vs NW...we need everyone hitting on all cylinders to win a league title at Iowa..our margin for error not that big.

I've had a feeling for a while that Mossbrucker might beat out Murray. I think the coaches decided last year that since they had two decent kickers to go ahead and redshirt the younger guy. M&M were splitting kicks in 2008 until...

Yeah, I remember being in the tunnel after "the kick" and after it went through Mossbrucker was the only one not celebrating on the field. He went straight to the locker room P.O-ed. I was a little disappointed to see that. We all want to be in that situation, and clearly he is no different. But that was a selfish move on his part after a win like that.

Yeah, I remember being in the tunnel after "the kick" and after it went through Mossbrucker was the only one not celebrating on the field. He went straight to the locker room P.O-ed. I was a little disappointed to see that. We all want to be in that situation, and clearly he is no different. But that was a selfish move on his part after a win like that.

Well I'd rather see him do what he did. Think about it. That year, Murray handled kicks longer than 40 yards, Mossbrucker handled everything closer than that. He was a very reliable kicker from that distance, and he got pulled for no clear reason (though I'm guessing it was because of the pressure and him being a freshman). I would be ****** too, especially if I had just one purpose on the team, and I wasn't allowed to do it.

That really affected him, too. He then missed two extra points the next week against Purdue.

I don't blame him for feeling the way he did. He's definitely got some competitive fire in him, which IS something we need in kickers.

Latest posts