MSU...stay classy

If you look at those pics, the MSU defender led with his chest. Yes he did hit him high.. and the helmets probably collided, but he led with his chest. It was still a violent hit, but to say it was intentional is absurd! The MSU defender did not set out to hurt Sandeman... but YES it should have been penalized, and the guy made himself look like an @ss!

As for the btn, I am not even sure what show I was watching, but they were all over it and how great of a hit it was.. and it was just sickening. I like the btn.. but damn! Show some class!

Originally, I thought it was unintentional high hit, but I'm not sure about that. The MSU DB took 3 steps while Sandeman was in the process of catching before the head-hit. Plenty of time to go to the torso.

Could a DE take three steps while a QB was in the process of throwing/releasing a pass before giving a head shot and have it be called unintentional?

In Sunday's Cedar Rapids Gazette, they stated in one article that it was a personal foul for helmet to helmet contact. Then the other article said that penalty was for taunting. Watched the replay on Wednesday and am still not sure what foul the flag was thrown for.

I thought the personal foul penalty was for taunting when he struck that pose standing over CS. I really don't think it was for a helmet to helmet hit.

It doesn't matter if he TRIED to lead with this head, just like it doesn't matter if somebody tries to grab the facemask. If you accidently grab the facemask, its still a penalty! If you accidently hit somebody's helmet with your helmet, its still penalty. Its not the intent, its the action. However, in this case he had to jump in the air to get high enough to make helmet to helment contact. He had to make an effort to get that high and close to the head.

Seriously guys, that was a great hit. There is no reason D'antoni should think otherwise. /sarcasm off

One more thing. If you're tackling properly, the only way you get helmet to helmet is if the offensive player makes a sudden move into your line of attack. That is clearly not the case here.

Dantonio is a tool.

If you look at those pics, the MSU defender led with his chest. Yes he did hit him high.. and the helmets probably collided, but he led with his chest. It was still a violent hit, but to say it was intentional is absurd!
From Storminspank's blog. Looks like he ducks his head to lead with it at the last second.
h2h.jpg

It doesn't matter if he TRIED to lead with this head, just like it doesn't matter if somebody tries to grab the facemask. If you accidently grab the facemask, its still a penalty! If you accidently hit somebody's helmet with your helmet, its still penalty. Its not the intent, its the action. However, in this case he had to jump in the air to get high enough to make helmet to helment contact. He had to make an effort to get that high and close to the head.

Agreed! But any good DB's coach is going to tell their db's to hit at shoulder pad level... if the receiver is looking for the ball you want to put him on his back. I'm not saying a good db's coach is telling him to commit a penalty... but if you put a good lick on a wr.. he may drop an easy ball the next time it is thrown his way...

It was still a penalty.. I am not denying that.. I just do not believe there was any intent there. To think that this kid is thinking "I need to duck my helmet right now to hurt him" is absurd!

The thing is about that penalty is we only got a field goal on that drive anyway!! The MSU "fans" are complaining that that call cost them the game!!! Idiots!!! They scored a TD on their next drive to take the lead!! What lost them the game was poor defense and poor clock management!! After how they reacted to that hit, they deserved - to quote Curtis Martin - "have their hearts ripped out"!!!!

I spoke with a friend who was there that said MSU fans were taunting Sandeman as he lay there and when they carted him off the field.

I think it's normal to get pumped by a big hit, but when it results in an injury and someone obviously being put to sleep with it, it should stop.

I played safety in high school. I was involved in a lot of high speed collisions. I cannot stress strongly enough how stupid and self-destructive you have to be as a defender to lead with your head. Even when I was fortunate enough to have a clear shot on an unsuspecting receiver I NEVER even considered going helmet to helmet. Why? Because concussions and paralysis are to be avoided.

Laws of physics and all that.

God I loathe Michigan State. Beating that team in that way was the epitome of sweetness.

HA. Wheres user BSpringsteen at so he can post a comment with the lyrics for the song "Glory Days"...

Last edited:
The "helmet to helmet" penalty is there to protect the defender as much as the ball carrier. In fact, I would wager that more defenders get seriously injured on such hits than ball carriers.

If the MSU guy were using proper textbook tackling technique (a "form tackle") his shoulder would be aimed at the ball carriers HIP area, where his center of gravity is. A defender's helmet should NEVER intentionally be anywhere near the ball carrier's helmet- oh, I guess unless you are going for style points at the cost of fundamentals, and SAFETY.

He was right to be flagged and it is absolutely UNCONSCIONABLE that MSU people would reward and celebrate a PERSONAL FOUL that led to a player being injured. Forget class, where is your humanity???

Last edited:
Okay is anyone watching the Big Ten Network this morning? They are showing the wisconsin WR getting a shot from a MSU LB! He got hit dead in the helmet, now the question arises. DOES MSU TEACH THEIR PLAYERS TO LEAD WITH THEIR HELMET? I can't believe that they are that reckless, and the coaches would allow that!

Latest posts