MSU Defense: Marginal

MSU didn't create the turnovers. Most of them were just unforced Nebraska gaffes.

They still had to make the plays.. Just ask northwestern. Gardener threw at least 4 gifts that hit wildcat defenders in the hands but they dropped them and it cost them the game.

But statistically the MSU D was the best D in all of college football heading into the game against Nebby and and to call them marginal is just silly.

In some ways, that was one of the best outings for Nebby. They got some movement on the ground but couldn't hold onto the ball. 24 points off of turnovers killed them. On defense they did well, just not good enough. Which isn't surprising for the position the offense put them in. Michigan State's offense did enough to get them the win.
I was very optimistic about Iowa's chances against Nebraska before this game. Now a little less. If they show up ready to play Iowa will have a fight.
I still think Iowa will beat Michigan handily. They won against Northwestern but that isn't saying much. But there is still talent there for Iowa to be wary of.

Nebby showed you run straight at sparty's defense and you throw down the field. YOu dont run wide and nebby has fast enough receivers to throw the quick screens.

I think the hawks now could look back at running straight power plays at MSU and not the slow stretch plays.

Nebby's OFF Coord did a great job of getting their best receiver on the safety with the least cover skills.

I still like Iowa's chances at Nebby because we have the ability to run it down their throats , it wont be easy /

Nebby showed you run straight at sparty's defense and you throw down the field. YOu dont run wide and nebby has fast enough receivers to throw the quick screens.

I think the hawks now could look back at running straight power plays at MSU and not the slow stretch plays.

Nebby's OFF Coord did a great job of getting their best receiver on the safety with the least cover skills.

I still like Iowa's chances at Nebby because we have the ability to run it down their throats , it wont be easy /

Didn't matter what Iowa ran. MSU's DL absolutely destroyed Iowa's OL. Running power wouldn't magically make it better in this game (though would have helped against Wisconsin, imo).

Iowa doesn't have 320 pound lineman like Nebraska. They average around 315-320. Iowa has around a 305-310 average line. Don't overlook Abdulla as a factor. He is a excellent running back, better than Iowa's stable.

Iowa doesn't have 320 pound lineman like Nebraska. They average around 315-320. Iowa has around a 305-310 average line. Don't overlook Abdulla as a factor. He is a excellent running back, better than Iowa's stable.

It's interesting that Nebraska was starting a patchwork Oline for this game and I thought that they did much better than Iowa did vs. MSU. As you said, having a good running back definitely helped as well. Our guys are average at best, it seems.

Mich and nebby move well in space. Blocking and hard running with some top are the keys. Unless you can seal the edge and better o's have tried, that outside run game will not work. The ol, Daniels and mark, really need to make the next two statement games.

I agree. Nebraska has a lot more speed that most (not all) of the BigTen teams. They can make plays.

It took a miracle for Nebraska to beat Northwestern in Lincoln. They were very lucky to win in Ann Arbor. They got their *** handed to them by Minnesota. MSU took advantage of some breaks and won the game handily. I will be surprised if Nebraska wins at Penn State. Nebraska is a very average team with very average speed. Their defense is horrible. Their Quarterbacks are average, at best and they will turn the ball over. Winning AT Nebraska will never be easy, but if there ever is a year that it is possible for Iowa to win in Lincoln, this is the one.

I was actually more impressed with Nebby than I though I would be. Had it not been for just flat out dropping the ball they may have beaten Sparty. They gift wrapped 17-24 points. That game was also 27-21 mid way through the 4th quarter despite the turnovers. MSU's defense looked good but no where the invincible that we made them look like.

I really liked the edge rusher nebby had, #44. That could be an interesting match-up for Schreff.

The question for these last two games is what offensive line and running backs show up? The pound the rock or the take-it-or-leave it group. We can count on Scherff and Van Sloten to bring it but the interior guys are inconsistent. The RB's are up and down as well but hopefully the energy that Canzeri brought will carry forward.

I was actually more impressed with Nebby than I though I would be. Had it not been for just flat out dropping the ball they may have beaten Sparty. They gift wrapped 17-24 points. That game was also 27-21 mid way through the 4th quarter despite the turnovers. MSU's defense looked good but no where the invincible that we made them look like.

I really liked the edge rusher nebby had, #44. That could be an interesting match-up for Schreff.

The question for these last two games is what offensive line and running backs show up? The pound the rock or the take-it-or-leave it group. We can count on Scherff and Van Sloten to bring it but the interior guys are inconsistent. The RB's are up and down as well but hopefully the energy that Canzeri brought will carry forward.

They move #44 around a lot flipping him to Van Slotens' side as well as standing him up like an inside linebacker. I think they will likely do the same aginst Iowa and will likely have some success.

...#1 - I'm not sold on Iowa's ability to run the ball on Michigan.
#2 - I'm not sold on Iowa's ability to contain Gardner.
#3 - Iowa is not going to beat Nebraska in Lincoln unless they play similarly to how they played in Columbus. Iowa hasn't really played that well since Columbus in my opinion.
#1 - I'm not sold on the ability of Michigan being able to stuff Iowa's running game. Rushing by committee should rack up some yardage on the Woverines.
#2 - I'm not sold on Gardner's ability to get past Iowa's defense. The D has been playing at a very high level and Gardner is not Braxton Miller. Gardner isn't stellar when there is pressure, expect Iowa to blitz often (for Iowa).
#3 - Iowa will need to bring a complete game. Playing well just in the first half won't cut it against Nebby. The Huskers are a 2nd half team and have come from behind multiple times. Iowa has lead at the half in every game except UW. The offense has to eat clock coming out of halftime for the Hawks to win. If the Hawks win the toss, they should defer and go with the power set. They have to score often, Nebby is explosive and will take advantage of mistakes.

Nebby seems to be their own worst enemy. Got to keep the blackshirts on the field.

Sparty played an exceptional kicking game to win this one. Their punting turned into points. Field position was in their favor, they only had one drive longer than 75 yards. The Husker's shortest drive was 60 yards. And the fake field goal.... Saw that one coming. Smart play by Sadler, he should be the player of the game for his punting performance and changing the fake to run up the middle instead of to the right.

I was very surprised nebby was able to move the ball on sparty. Nebby looks a lot more athletic than us as well. If course we have a chance, and more of a chance if brasky comes out sleep walking and turns the ball over, but it will be a tough win. We can do it though if we play well and have a good game plan. Maybe the three tight ends come back????

It's all about match-ups. You can't make logical predictions based purely on who beat who by how much. Pelini himself said that Nebby matched-up well with Sparty.

People forget the Purdue was driving on Iowa in the middle of the third quarter down only 14-7. They had the momentum, but lost it all on a fumble around the Iowa's 35-yard line.

#1 - I'm not sold on Iowa's ability to run the ball on Michigan.
#2 - I'm not sold on Iowa's ability to contain Gardner.
#3 - Iowa is not going to beat Nebraska in Lincoln unless they play similarly to how they played in Columbus. Iowa hasn't really played that well since Columbus in my opinion.
Doesn't matter if Iowa plays Northern Podunck U or Michigan. We know the game will be close and gut wrenchingly so. That being said, Colter from Northwestern was a far better runner/scrambler than Gardner. So was Jordan Lynch of Northern Illinois. Both are better players than Gardner. Michigan is not a good football team. IMO, if Iowa loses to Michigan at home, any perceived improvement in the program this season will go down the tubes. Iowa is a 6.5 point favorite. Different deal going on the road at Nebraska, but they are beatable in Lincoln this year. You can't say that too many years so we damn well better take advantage of it this season.

Latest posts