MSU and Iowa total O in B10 play

Per game.
MSU 412.5
Iowa 316.0

Not sure of what the point of this post is, but I will put my 2 cents in. This has no bearing on the upcoming game. Different game, different day, different players.

Note: Different W/L record... 7-0 and 4-3... sooooooooooooooo

Last edited:
This has about as much relevance as you guys getting outgained by 100 and beaten at home by Central Michigan this year.

Per game.
MSU 412.5
Iowa 316.0

Iowa actually averages 351 yards a game, not that it matters.

Just for fun let's look at some other stats. Iowa gives up 15 points a game and Michigan State almost 22 a game. Michigan State averages 28 PPG and Iowa 25 PPG. So Iowa wins by 4 points based on these stats.

Thankfully, games aren't decided by stats based on prior games. That's why they play the game on the field.

I believe that Iowa has held every team they've played up to this point to well under their season averages in both points scored and yards allowed.

Bet the under on MSU...in both categories.

Per game.
MSU 412.5
Iowa 316.0

Rounded off it's MSU 417, Iowa 352. If you are going to start a thread with a stat, which makes little sense, anyway, I'd make sure it is correct, and especially not short the home team.

The Big Ten Conference website has all the current stats for those who are interested in checking them out, I'd recommend it because it's interesting and you'll get the correct numbers.

Very simple if you read. In B10 play MSU is averaging 96.5 yards more per game than Iowa. MSU's stats remain close to the same whether its all games or conference games, but throw out games vs 1AA teams like UNI or 1-4 Sun Belt teams like Ark St and Iowa's only averaging 316 yards per game in B10 play.

Very simple if you read. In B10 play MSU is averaging 96.5 yards more per game than Iowa. MSU's stats remain close to the same whether its all games or conference games, but throw out games vs 1AA teams like UNI or 1-4 Sun Belt teams like Ark St and Iowa's only averaging 316 yards per game in B10 play.

I agree, MSU has some nice YPG compared to us... but again, they seem as if they cannot finish their drives. Note the Wisconsin loss to OSU; they had the ball for almost 40 mins TOP and tons of yards but far from enough points to win. All that matters is the points, not so much the yards.

Both of our lines need to control the game, our Oline vs their Dline is very concernign to me and we must get pressure on their QB's, even though our secondary is great he cannot be allowed to stand there and wait for someone to get open. We will get picked apart....Need to disguise some blitzes and hopefully our front 4 can own them just themselves, this is critical for a victory. Both lines must win at the piont of attack!

Both of our lines need to control the game, our Oline vs their Dline is very concernign to me and we must get pressure on their QB's, even though our secondary is great he cannot be allowed to stand there and wait for someone to get open. We will get picked apart....Need to disguise some blitzes and hopefully our front 4 can own them just themselves, this is critical for a victory. Both lines must win at the piont of attack!

I really hope they blitz some of the linebackers... over the middle to Moeaki!

I stand corrected, but undeterred. Against the only common Big Ten opponents, we outgained ours and won. MSU gained tons of yards vs. their opponents and lost. So what if in the process of losing they gained more yards than we did in winning.

I appreciate you've only chosen the Big 10 TO stat, but it's pretty meaningless, hence kind of a nonstarter for a thread. Pretty easy to see if you read the "rest of the story".

MSU lines have surprised me in how well they've played.

No matter what you've read me posting tonite as of now I like our chances Saturday but it is a very tough foe we're playing at night at in their house. This game is way beyond huge, we are this close to being in a great place, if we can only win Sat. It could all be over for many of you Saturday night, it won't ever be over for me as no matter what the score is Sat nite, I'll be up early Sun AM for a 7 hour tape session. You can talk BCS(if we win) or BS(if we lose), I'll be doing something different, but the same Sunday rountine for me that I've been doing since 95.

MSU lines have surprised me in how well they've played.

No matter what you've read me posting tonite as of now I like our chances Saturday but it is a very tough foe we're playing at night at in their house. This game is way beyond huge, we are this close to being in a great place, if we can only win Sat. It could all be over for many of you Saturday night, it won't ever be over for me as no matter what the score is Sat nite, I'll be up early Sun AM for a 7 hour tape session. You can talk BCS(if we win) or BS(if we lose), I'll be doing something different, but the same Sunday rountine for me that I've been doing since 95.

Sounds like someone needs some female companionship.

I like to know what happened before I open my mouth. Plus I love watching Hawkeye FB. You go watch your NFL Sun.

I think we are a better team but that does not guarantee a win. I am confident but nervous. I think a hot passing team could catch us on the wrong day and this could be that day. Must get to Cousins. I do not think he can run much due to the ankle so we must be predatory in the extreme. Nichols comes in ,tackle him hard also.

Digger! I'm glad you found your way over here. We need and strongly value your insight and knowledge.

Thanks for posting the stat comparison. MSU is NOT to be taken lightly in any way, shape, or form. However... they haven't played a defense like ours yet. ;)

We need to get Homer over here...

I think Digger is saying MSU is a good team and shouldn't be taken lightly, even with a 4-3 record. They've played very well their past 3 games.

On the flip side Digger, posting total yards gained is only a small part of the story here. MSU has not faced a defense like Iowa yet. By that I mean Iowa has held their 3 Big Ten opponets well under their average in terms of yards gained and points scored. Iowa has played 3 of the top 4 offenses in the conference. Two of them were on the road. MSU is the other team in the top 4.

MSU has faced the 5th, 6th, 8th and 10th ranked defenses in the conference. Iowa is number 3.

Iowa has faced the 1st, 5th, and 8th ranked defenses in conference.

Overall, MSU has faced defenses with an average rank of 7.25. Iowa has faced defenses with an overall rank of 4.6.

Again, Iowa needs to come ready to play just like they have for every other road game this year.

This has about as much relevance as you guys getting outgained by 100 and beaten at home by Central Michigan this year.

I feel foolish now...I didn't know Digger was some sort of "Guru" from the Scout board coming over here. My somewhat defensive reply was responding to someone I thought was a Mich St individual coming here to stir the pot. My apologies, Digger!

Latest posts