Mr. Davis's Final Run

Collision was never coming to Iowa

I remember this now. The rumor was that Collison was turned off by Mr. Davis because he took it for granted that he was coming to Iowa. In other words, Dr. To did not recruit him hard because he thought it was a foregone conclusion that he would put the Iowa uniform on. That was the rumor anyway.

I remember this now. The rumor was that Collison was turned off by Mr. Davis because he took it for granted that he was coming to Iowa. In other words, Dr. To did not recruit him hard because he thought it was a foregone conclusion that he would put the Iowa uniform on. That was the rumor anyway.

Nick did not like Mr. Davis's substitution patterns. This is not speculation.

Seth, the firing was already a given. But if Blow-holes-by had hired Izzo or Coach K, nobody would remember Mr. Davis's final run.

I LIKED Mr. Davis a heck of a lot. But the firing, itself, wasn't the problem as much as HOW it was handled. But it is remembered primarily because of what followed.

Ahh, OK, I get ya. Yeah, it was time for a change. That didn't suck.

Lame-ducking him did. And it hurt the program for over decade.

I believe you're correct here but if I'm not mistaken, a lot of that had to do with Lester being hurt and he came back for the toward the end of the season and played in the tournament until getting hurt against Louisville in the semifinals.

True. But this year's team could start to make a less than spectacular 45% from 2 and 35% from 3. They did not lose a conference game when shooting these percentages. And these certainly are not unattainable goals that require us to suddenly get crazy hot from the field. And we might decide to stop with the lost possessions because of unforced turnovers. There are lots of variables to making a run.

We would of been better off if Bowlsby had been fired!!! Hopefully the Big 12 will get smart some day and fire him as commissioner. UNI should of kept him.

Great Read. Mr. Davis should have never been fired. The effects of that decision still haunt us to this date.

Get your facts straight. Davis was not fired. Other than not losing a first round game, he did nothing. Over his last ten seasons, Davis was two games over five-hundred in the conference. He did not win a B1G championship, did not win a BTT game & did not make the Final Four. In his last eleven season at Iowa, Davis only had one B1G season as good as Fran has had the last two years. Get over it. Davis is & always has been a huge part of the problem.

That '97 NIT game was my breaking point. That whole season I was leaning toward wanting him gone, but that specific game was the final straw. Alford was the rock star at the time and I wanted him. He was the guy that was going to take us to the "next level". If Davis wasn't fired are we talking about Collison playing with Oliver for 3 years? Hindsight being 20/20 obviously, that could have been a really good run if Davis wasn't fired.

Correct. The crowd size was embarrassing and Georgia figured out our pressed early in the 1st half, but no defensive adjustments.

I believe you're correct here but if I'm not mistaken, a lot of that had to do with Lester being hurt and he came back for the toward the end of the season and played in the tournament until getting hurt against Louisville in the semifinals.

After the '70 team, before Lester got hurt, the '80 team was the second best Iowa team I've ever seen. That includes the '68 & '87 teams.

Between Collison, Lafrentz and Hinrich, Mr. Davis lost all confidence on the "recruiting" end of things.

Davis couldn't recruit even with the original snake-oil salesman in Bruce Pearl. Roy Williams made Raef feel special. Williams went to every one of Raef's games he could attend. Davis never went to the games, the great Mr. Davis sent his assistants.

Get your facts straight. Davis was not fired. Other than not losing a first round game, he did nothing. Over his last ten seasons, Davis was two games over five-hundred in the conference. He did not win a B1G championship, did not win a BTT game & did not make the Final Four. In his last eleven season at Iowa, Davis only had one B1G season as good as Fran has had the last two years. Get over it. Davis is & always has been a huge part of the problem.

Talk about revising history and bringing up things that are truly wrong. Tom was let go. Anyone who says otherwise just hates him. He was handled poorly and that's that. Also, let's take a look at the overall strength of the Big Ten during his tenure. Teams in the BIG right now are not as strong as the Henson led Illini, the Keady led Boilermakers, the Fisher led Michigan teams or the Knight led Hoosiers. To finish 5th or better 10 times in 13 seasons is something we may never see again given the competitive balance in the Big Ten. This year's and last year's team would lose to most of the Dr.'s teams. That's just reality.
The big ten tournament had just begun so that's a silly thing about losing in that tournament. He coached one time in that tournament.
People like you are the biggest part of the problem, tata.

Talk about revising history and bringing up things that are truly wrong. Tom was let go. Anyone who says otherwise just hates him. He was handled poorly and that's that. Also, let's take a look at the overall strength of the Big Ten during his tenure. Teams in the BIG right now are not as strong as the Henson led Illini, the Keady led Boilermakers, the Fisher led Michigan teams or the Knight led Hoosiers. To finish 5th or better 10 times in 13 seasons is something we may never see again given the competitive balance in the Big Ten. This year's and last year's team would lose to most of the Dr.'s teams. That's just reality.
The big ten tournament had just begun so that's a silly thing about losing in that tournament. He coached one time in that tournament.
People like you are the biggest part of the problem, tata.

It is not revisionist history. Mr. Davis was not fired. Plus, only once in his last eleven seasons did Davis win at least twelve conference games.

Pure BS. Davis would have had a title if Minnesota did not cheat that one year. Davis was a very good coach for the program.

As time has passed more and more people say it and I would be willing to say that some of those saying it now we're the same people that wanted him out. Listen I was living in Iowa and attending all the games at Carver and the MAJORITY of Iowa fans wanted change. I don't know how old some of you who keep bringing this up but kinda old, if you ask me!

The effects of that decision haunt us to to this day? Seriously now we just overstated things. Iowa making its 3rd NCAA appearance in a row, Let's not get carried away. Furthermore I see similarities (Tempo, Press, Good/BadSubstitution patterns, lack of recruiting) between Davis and Fran. Obviously the one big difference is the on court demeanor aside from that I see similarities.

The big knock on Mr. Davis was his recruiting or lack of it and how he scheduled non con games. All he cared about was winning enough to make the NCAA. But the biggest set back was the tragic death of Chris Street. What may have been had Chris lived out his career and life. Just a tragedy. Mr. Davis handled it as well as anyone could have possibly could have give the circumstances. Looking back,we would have been better off keeping him. He may have won some Big 10 because the conference got softer when Alford came in,but he couldn't take advantage.

Pure BS. Davis would have had a title if Minnesota did not cheat that one year. Davis was a very good coach for the program.

What? It is not BS. Nobody has ever won the B1G with a 12-6 record. Over his last ten years, Davis was two games over five-hundred in the conference. Throw in the two blow out loses in the BTT & he was exactly a five-hundred coach. That is the definition of average! Over his last eleven seasons, Davis only had one conference season as good as Fran has had the last two seasons.

Davis wasn't a very good coach for the program. When Davis came to Iowa an individual had to donate money to get split-season tickets. During Davis' last few years, Iowa couldn't even sell out Carver. Attendance wise, the Hawks have not recovered from the downward spiral under Mr. Davis.

It is not revisionist history. Mr. Davis was not fired. Plus, only once in his last eleven seasons did Davis win at least twelve conference games.

Winningest coach in Iowa history with the second best winning % ever, barely behind Pops. During his era, it's arguable that was the toughest the B1G has ever been overall.

You don't have to love him, and he wasn't perfect, but there's a reason he's remembered and revered. And there's pretty good reason to believe he was given a raw deal whether technically fired or "not renewed"...point remains the same.

What? It is not BS. Nobody has ever won the B1G with a 12-6 record. Over his last ten years, Davis was two games over five-hundred in the conference. Throw in the two blow out loses in the BTT & he was exactly a five-hundred coach. That is the definition of average! Over his last eleven seasons, Davis only had one conference season as good as Fran has had the last two seasons.

Davis wasn't a very good coach for the program. When Davis came to Iowa an individual had to donate money to get split-season tickets. During Davis' last few years, Iowa couldn't even sell out Carver. Attendance wise, the Hawks have not recovered from the downward spiral under Mr. Davis.

Winningest coach in Program history wasn't a very good coach for the program? Downward spiral?

Geez man.

But I agree, Fran is doing a good job.

Latest posts