MP4 to MP3 conversion

Seth53

Yes, I'm old-school and still use my iPod classic for workouts, walking, etc,

In the past, I could find a youtube URL, copy and paste it to an MP3 converter page, it would convert, and I could then download to the hard drive for transfer to the iPod.

Now I'm getting error message when I try to download the file (after conversion) to the hard drive.

Is youtube now protected from free downloads?

Anyone else have any other source URLs where I can download free music and/or convert from MP4 to MP3?
iTunes is charging $1.29/song to purchase. Ouch!

In the past, I could find a youtube URL, copy and paste it to an MP3 converter page, it would convert, and I could then download to the hard drive for transfer to the iPod.

Now I'm getting error message when I try to download the file (after conversion) to the hard drive.

Anyone else have any other source URLs where I can download free music and/or convert from MP4 to MP3?
Pay $10/month for apple music and you have for all intents and purposes every song ever published with very, very few exceptions.

I'm old school like you. I don't dig the streaming services. I like to have my own files because I can always play them without an internet connection (as is often the case when we go camping). I still burn MP3 discs to play in my older car or use an old Sansa ClipZip music player with Rockbox on it.

I used to get music from a site that appeared to be a foreign server that had a billion songs on it. It stopped working a year ago (I assume it was forced offline) so now I just download files from a free service called Freegal. I gain access to it by entering my library card number and can download 5 songs per week. Unfortunately, they only share content from Sony Music Entertainment's catalog. A lot of good music is from Universal Music Group though so you don't have access to that.

I've also noticed that the YouTube to MP3 utilities aren't as easy to find as they used to be. One quirk I noticed when using the few I did find is that they encode their files with a 48Khz sampling rate instead of 44.1Khz like most traditional encoders. They're usually still playable with most devices. I usually convert them to 44.1Khz anyways when exporting them from Audacity after editing them to my liking.

I'm old school like you. I don't dig the streaming services. I like to have my own files because I can always play them without an internet connection (as is often the case when we go camping). I still burn MP3 discs to play in my older car or use an old Sansa ClipZip music player with Rockbox on it.

I used to get music from a site that appeared to be a foreign server that had a billion songs on it. It stopped working a year ago (I assume it was forced offline) so now I just download files from a free service called Freegal. I gain access to it by entering my library card number and can download 5 songs per week. Unfortunately, they only share content from Sony Music Entertainment's catalog. A lot of good music is from Universal Music Group though so you don't have access to that.

I've also noticed that the YouTube to MP3 utilities aren't as easy to find as they used to be. One quirk I noticed when using the few I did find is that they encode their files with a 48Khz sampling rate instead of 44.1Khz like most traditional encoders. They're usually still playable with most devices. I usually convert them to 44.1Khz anyways when exporting them from Audacity after editing them to my liking.
Good stuff...thank you!

I do use the free Spotify App at times off the phone.
I also have been a Sirius/XM user for years and years and use that App for sports.
Finally, I downloaded TouchTunes....a neat App to remotely play a juke box from your bar stool.

I don't dig the streaming services. I like to have my own files because I can always play them without an internet connection (as is often the case when we go camping).
Just as an FYI, Apple music allows you to download unlimited songs and movies for offline play. No internet needed. I do it for when I'm flying and don't have an internet connection.

Damn, Cedar Rapids and Cedar Falls libraries are on there, but Iowa City isn't. Lame

Just as an FYI, Apple music allows you to download unlimited songs and movies for offline play. No internet needed. I do it for when I'm flying and don't have an internet connection.
But they're DRM'd, so if you cancel your subscription, the music goes away right?

Latest posts