Mountain Out of a Molehill

HawkeyesWin

It seems that many have completely lost their minds about this whole Little Lick situation. This year has sucked, as did the two years before it but lets try to gain a little perspective on the direction things are headed.

First of all, this team is finally Lick's team. The upper classmen that didn't fit in are gone. Good or bad. Better or worse. They are his guys. Over much of the past six games we have started to see signs of good things to come and I believe were are starting to move in the right direction the Michigan hiccup aside.

Second, the Michigan game sucked and so did Lick's presser following it. That being said, people are losing their minds about the amount of playing time a backup player received in a game in which at no point were we close to challenging our opponent. I hate the loss as much as the next guy but its one game. Why not give reserves some quality playing time and save the legs of your starters for the next game.

Three, Lick made a comment during a presser that he probably should have steered clear of. Many have blown a gasket over this but there is likely more to the his comment that meets the eye. When you are the Iowa BB coach, everything is on the record. Every comment is published and analyzed. You tend to say the same thing about all your players: they all deserve more minutes, they all have been working hard, they all bring something to the table others don't. If you don't do this you effectively tell the world that your player isn't valued. What coach would want to do that, regardless of whether the player is his son or not.

Four, things are going to get better. We have a pipeline of 2-3 kids in each class, Frosh - Soph and the incoming class, that will be able to play quality minutes. That being said, all bets are off if we encounter another exodus after the season.

Sorry dude, but as soon as he took the Iowa job they were his guys. The people who are still defending and making excuses for Lickliter after three years of horrible play are the ones who have lost touch with reality.

It seems that many have completely lost their minds about this whole Little Lick situation. This year has sucked, as did the two years before it but lets try to gain a little perspective on the direction things are headed.

First of all, this team is finally Lick's team. The upper classmen that didn't fit in are gone. Good or bad. Better or worse. They are his guys. Over much of the past six games we have started to see signs of good things to come and I believe were are starting to move in the right direction the Michigan hiccup aside.

Second, the Michigan game sucked and so did Lick's presser following it. That being said, people are losing their minds about the amount of playing time a backup player received in a game in which at no point were we close to challenging our opponent. I hate the loss as much as the next guy but its one game. Why not give reserves some quality playing time and save the legs of your starters for the next game.

Three, Lick made a comment during a presser that he probably should have steered clear of. Many have blown a gasket over this but there is likely more to the his comment that meets the eye. When you are the Iowa BB coach, everything is on the record. Every comment is published and analyzed. You tend to say the same thing about all your players: they all deserve more minutes, they all have been working hard, they all bring something to the table others don't. If you don't do this you effectively tell the world that your player isn't valued. What coach would want to do that, regardless of whether the player is his son or not.

Four, things are going to get better. We have a pipeline of 2-3 kids in each class, Frosh - Soph and the incoming class, that will be able to play quality minutes. That being said, all bets are off if we encounter another exodus after the season.

I also agree, but yes......you will be unfairly hammered for it.

Sorry dude, but as soon as he took the Iowa job they were his guys. The people who are still defending and making excuses for Lickliter after three years of horrible play are the ones who have lost touch with reality.

The people still defending are people who understand that it's not as simple as coaching. They are the realists....sorry, it's true. You can have opinions of the other persuasion, but you can't really put together GOOD facts that it's all a coaching problem and many have put together arguments how it's NOT all coaching.

If we had a good coach this team would be turned around. Time for a football comparison. It took Kirk 3 years to turn an entire football team around from 1 win to 7... coaching matters. Lick's teams have regressed on the court in a sport were 1 or 2 players can completely change a team

The people still defending are people who understand that it's not as simple as coaching. They are the realists....sorry, it's true. You can have opinions of the other persuasion, but you can't really put together GOOD facts that it's all a coaching problem and many have put together arguments how it's NOT all coaching.

Ditto..whew, I thought I was going to have to write a comment but yours fits well. ;)

Yeah....whatever :rolleyes:

Probably time to get off the basketball beat, Scott.

We get worse and less talented each year

Lick didnt build Butler he maintained

He is driving us straight into the ground

Not to stir the pot more but the comment of he is running us into the ground. I think the last coach may have helped with that before Lick got here. After he got here a purging of the program (good or bad) has occurred on a roster that was thin already. BTW, left by the other coach. It was sad to see orange crush so prevalent but that was happening under previous coach. If we still stink in two years we will probably get rid of Lick but he needs more time than 3 years.

Not to stir the pot more but the comment of he is running us into the ground. I think the last coach may have helped with that before Lick got here. After he got here a purging of the program (good or bad) has occurred on a roster that was thin already. BTW, left by the other coach. It was sad to see orange crush so prevalent but that was happening under previous coach. If we still stink in two years we will probably get rid of Lick but he needs more time than 3 years.

I am being honest with the following question:

What has happened in Lick's three years that has given you any impression we are heading in the right direction?

The optimists think they are the realists and everyone else is a hater. The pessimists think the optimists are living in fruityland and cant understand how people dont see that they see.

Still, the largest percentage of Iowa fan does not live in either of these camps....the overwhelming majority live in the camp of 'I don't care as much anymore. I have found other things to do with my time and money 18 nights a winter.'

That's the scariest camp of all for an athletic department.

This realist, optimist, pessimist, hater crap is some of the dumbest message board pursuits, because its all inherently biased. For anyone to call themselves a realist, that's just ignorant on its face. Because we ALL think WE are the realists.

You know what speaks the loudest? The 9,000 empty seats in Carver. The hundreds of Illini students taking an entire section of seats behind our hoop and the Hawks having to shoot into them for the 2nd half, in a freakinghome game.

Folks, we can argue all day and try to figure out who is right and wrong. In the end, the Iowa basketball fans no longer have interest. We saw the article a few weeks ago, we are averaging less than 5,000 fans/per game. This is a very bad situation for Iowa basketball

Exactly. And apparently Lickliter doesn't have the other components to get it done. I think he can develop players and coach, but he is obviously missing something...
Is it because he is not that personable? Is it how he interacts with his players off-the-court? Is it his recruiting? Is it all of that or part?

It's not looking good for Hawkeye basketball. Unfortunately. One thing is for sure, less than one year from now we will know, for certain, whether or not Todd Lickliter has what it takes AND whether we will have a new coach for the 2011-2012 season... At this point I am 50-50...

The optimists think they are the realists and everyone else is a hater. The pessimists think the optimists are living in fruityland and cant understand how people dont see that they see.

Still, the largest percentage of Iowa fan does not live in either of these camps....the overwhelming majority live in the camp of 'I don't care as much anymore. I have found other things to do with my time and money 18 nights a winter.'

That's the scariest camp of all for an athletic department.

This realist, optimist, pessimist, hater crap is some of the dumbest message board pursuits, because its all inherently biased. For anyone to call themselves a realist, that's just ignorant on its face. Because we ALL think WE are the realists.

No arguement here on the apathy that currently permeates our beloved program.

I'm not sure I understand the rail on the realist, optimist, pessimist, and hater postings though. After all we are all posting on a message board with a large amount of realist, optimist, pessimist and hater 'crap'. A message board that derives a large portion of its following by providing a conduit for people to share their own personal biases.

I have no problem with directing frustration at Lick or Barta or HawkeyesWin but I personally find a discussion around things that have some bearing on the program like incoming recruits, practice facilities, wins-losses, or fan attendance far more interesting than going on and on about how much 1 player played in a blowout and 1 comment in 1 press conference. I personally think our program hinges on more the former rather than the latter.

Latest posts