Motivation for Tyler Cook

Honest question, who do you take off that list to put Cook on it?
Great question. I always ask that question when I'm looking at these kinds of pre-season predictions. I looked at the Media predictions and I honestly couldn't point to 1 team ranked ahead of Iowa, that had less talent than we do.
When I look at that list, I see a lot of productive players and I'm not sure I'd take any of the list in favor of TC.

Great question. I always ask that question when I'm looking at these kinds of pre-season predictions. I looked at the Media predictions and I honestly couldn't point to 1 team ranked ahead of Iowa, that had less talent than we do.
When I look at that list, I see a lot of productive players and I'm not sure I'd take any of the list in favor of TC.
I think my main contention is that Fran believes Cook should be upset about not being on the list. Kirk would have said something along the lines of preseason awards/rankings are stupid and pointless.

Fran is just supporting his player. He also said it's a league filled with great players. Not a big deal, IMO.

If this is another thing that motivates Cook, great. This team shouldn't lack motivation. Last year was embarrassing for these guys.

Right there with ya. But what happens when we don't? Again. Fran can't honestly say if we come within 1-3 games of getting in and not anything about 'improving from last yr' Because as true as that'd be if he tries that I hope he's called out beyond belief on it because they NEVER should have been that bad to begin with. I'm afraid because of his contract he can (and most likely will according to the 'experts') come up short of dancing and still keep his job...

Gotta love capitalism at it's finest when you can get a raise for doing worse....
I don't see this team making the NCAA tournament this year. I'll give them a 5% chance. He won't be called out on it. I'll give that a 95% chance. If they come close to getting in, the schtick is gonna be how young they still are and how much they've improved, etc, etc. Gutless Gary is in the business of selling "hope", not results. That's what he'll be peddling again, this time next year.

I think my main contention is that Fran believes Cook should be upset about not being on the list. Kirk would have said something along the lines of preseason awards/rankings are stupid and pointless.
Fran spends way too much time puffing up his players. He thinks that's the best way to employ psychology, to get the best results. It has not had the desired effect here at Iowa.

I didn't say he should be on the list or that's it's an egregious error. I don't know who I would take off to put him on. It's a good league with good players.

I think the "no one is impressed with TC as much as TC is with himself comment" is a little harsh. If you're meaning that he's confident, I agree. It doesn't read that way.

Then "He's over come so much TK - with picking Iowa as his school and all."

No need, IMO. College kid not getting paid.

I have no idea how I got into your cross hairs Rob, but I am definitely not trying to debate with you or to bash a player or even go over the line in that regard. I enjoy being able to have an opinion on this board and I follow all the unwritten rules. I read his blog last week, and that's how I read it. He said he wasn't used to losing until he came to Iowa and he had to get used to it and that he could have gone any where else. Then he brought up his former team mate who's in the NBA now and how he had always been used to winning. I felt like he was saying that it was because of Iowa. That rubbed me wrong, but it's closer to the truth really I suppose and that's why it touched my nerve. Iowa's bad at basketball and has been for a while and he took a leap of faith coming here. It just rubs me wrong that when he arrived, Iowa had been to 3 NCAA's in a row. I also think that he thinks higher of himself than others. There's nothing wrong with that. It's great to have confidence. I think more of myself than others too. I'm a TC fan, and I apologize if my shots were too low. Kids play in comparison of what passes around here.

I don't see this team making the NCAA tournament this year. I'll give them a 5% chance. He won't be called out on it. I'll give that a 95% chance. If they come close to getting in, the schtick is gonna be how young they still are and how much they've improved, etc, etc. Gutless Gary is in the business of selling "hope", not results. That's what he'll be peddling again, this time next year.
Yeah. I'm not totally up on what most of the other BIG schools all have coming back yet so part of how Iowa does is tied to them obviously. I'm still in football mode mostly. So I can't say if I think they'll have any better chance at dancing than what you think. Just sucking on the 'hope' being peddled as you mentioned....
I can't see a team with JBo,Cook, and Moss all 3 yr plus players that'll be expected to be the leaders (they may even be our 3 leading scorers) after this yr being considered 'young' if they don't succeed... To me that excuse card could have been played last yr if you chose to buy it but not after this year...

Right there with ya. But what happens when we don't? Again. Fran can't honestly say if we come within 1-3 games of getting in and not anything about 'improving from last yr' Because as true as that'd be if he tries that I hope he's called out beyond belief on it because they NEVER should have been that bad to begin with. I'm afraid because of his contract he can (and most likely will according to the 'experts') come up short of dancing and still keep his job...

Gotta love capitalism at it's finest when you can get a raise for doing worse....

If they don't make it - I will be a disgruntled Iowa hoops fan....I'm already at that line, but I am still optimistic for this season. But how can I not be if we miss the NCAA 3 years in a row? I typically only attend 1 or 2 home games a year , I always travel down to Lincoln, NE to watch the team. I buy the B1G network, i get the plus streaming - i go to the Iclub deal in Council Bluffs. I love Fran, I love Iowa and I love the program. I have defended Fran and program at all costs the last 8 seasons on this site. To the point of people calling me names. Till I am blue in the face. Because I think he deserved it. Now, I've changed me tune a little, because I want more and I think they are capable of more. I do have some expectations to keep me coming back as a fan and tuning in. I say a couple of things that don't tow the company line and I'm in trouble with higher ups. It's kind of liberating but I have to start being honest with myself about where this program is...and that's not in a great spot.

Yeah. I'm not totally up on what most of the other BIG schools all have coming back yet so part of how Iowa does is tied to them obviously. I'm still in football mode mostly. So I can't say if I think they'll have any better chance at dancing than what you think. Just sucking on the 'hope' being peddled as you mentioned....
I can't see a team with JBo,Cook, and Moss all 3 yr plus players that'll be expected to be the leaders (they may even be our 3 leading scorers) after this yr being considered 'young' if they don't succeed... To me that excuse card could have been played last yr if you chose to buy it but not after this year...
There are always plenty of excuses to go around. After whatever excuses we hear in March/April, we'll hear "let's see what Fran can do with Wieskamp as a sophomore" or "we have PMac and a true PG coming in, let's give Fran some more time." Hope & Excuses. Welcome to the Buyout Barta athletic dept!

If they don't make it - I will be a disgruntled Iowa hoops fan....I'm already at that line, but I am still optimistic for this season. But how can I not be if we miss the NCAA 3 years in a row? I typically only attend 1 or 2 home games a year , I always travel down to Lincoln, NE to watch the team. I buy the B1G network, i get the plus streaming - i go to the Iclub deal in Council Bluffs. I love Fran, I love Iowa and I love the program. I have defended Fran and program at all costs the last 8 seasons on this site. To the point of people calling me names. Till I am blue in the face. Because I think he deserved it. Now, I've changed me tune a little, because I want more and I think they are capable of more. I do have some expectations to keep me coming back as a fan and tuning in. I say a couple of things that don't tow the company line and I'm in trouble with higher ups. It's kind of liberating but I have to start being honest with myself about where this program is...and that's not in a great spot.
Pretty fair place to be I'm in a pretty similar spot. I find it tough to defend Fran after last yr and by tough I mean impossible. I thought we'd be no less than as good as we were the year before with Jok. I saw no reason for there to be a drop off like that. None. Till it happened in front of our eyes. To me this year should be a HUGE make or break year for Fran and just a little progress won't cut it. But that new extension he got may give him way more rope than he deserves...
I hate to feel that way because he did such a great job digging us out from the hole that was the Licklighter era. But in a somewhat (obviously not completely the same)similar way to Alford he's not making that next significant leap and it doesn't look like it'll happen....

Cook didn't have a better 2017-18 season than any of the forwards on that list. Mostly because of his defensive stats. His rebounding and blocked shots are garbage compared to the other forwards. Surprisingly the NBA scouts told him he needs to work on his defense and rebounding.........

I think Cook could easily be better than everyone on that list, he dominated Ethan Happ last year head-to-head. But he has been a one trick pony...he dominates inside on offense....that's it

Cook also missed 62 free throws last year. He makes half of those and he has an extra point per game.

I have no idea how I got into your cross hairs Rob, but I am definitely not trying to debate with you or to bash a player or even go over the line in that regard. I enjoy being able to have an opinion on this board and I follow all the unwritten rules. I read his blog last week, and that's how I read it. He said he wasn't used to losing until he came to Iowa and he had to get used to it and that he could have gone any where else. Then he brought up his former team mate who's in the NBA now and how he had always been used to winning. I felt like he was saying that it was because of Iowa. That rubbed me wrong, but it's closer to the truth really I suppose and that's why it touched my nerve. Iowa's bad at basketball and has been for a while and he took a leap of faith coming here. It just rubs me wrong that when he arrived, Iowa had been to 3 NCAA's in a row. I also think that he thinks higher of himself than others. There's nothing wrong with that. It's great to have confidence. I think more of myself than others too. I'm a TC fan, and I apologize if my shots were too low. Kids play in comparison of what passes around here.
I’d be interested to read that blog.

What Tyler hasn’t grasped yet, is that high school team that won all the time, actually taught him nothing about being a winner, it likely actually created the majority of the bad habits he has. They had so much talent that they could run around and do whatever they liked, trying to add to the highlight film and they could skate by on sheer talent alone.

We have seen many of those bad habits on the floor the last two years. Call me harsh on Tyler but I don’t really care because sometimes the truth hurts. For a guy with that combination of size, strength, and athleticism to be 4th on the team in rebound %, and 6th on the team in block %, that’s part bad basketball IQ and part lack of effort.

Hopefully he takes a step forward this year in those areas, as I don’t think anyone questions the amount of talent this guy has, but it would be a shame to see him leave after this year having never played in a NCAA tournament.

Cook didn't have a better 2017-18 season than any of the forwards on that list. Mostly because of his defensive stats. His rebounding and blocked shots are garbage compared to the other forwards. Surprisingly the NBA scouts told him he needs to work on his defense and rebounding.........

I think Cook could easily be better than everyone on that list, he dominated Ethan Happ last year head-to-head. But he has been a one trick pony...he dominates inside on offense....that's it

Cook also missed 62 free throws last year. He makes half of those and he has an extra point per game.
Exactly. Cook is a better Pro prospect than the forwards on the list, but that doesn’t mean he’s a better college player right now. Happ, Murphy, and Ward all are relentless and play very hard on both ends, you can’t always say the same for Tyler.