Motivation for Tyler Cook

Can't go 4-14 and expect much else the next year. He can prove them all wrong and I hope he uses this as motivation.... but no one is impressed with TC as much as TC is with himself. That's harsh but reality until Iowa proves it can win basketball games.

Can't go 4-14 and expect much else the next year. He can prove them all wrong and I hope he uses this as motivation.... but no one is impressed with TC as much as TC is with himself. That's harsh but reality until Iowa proves it can win basketball games.
His coach isn't going to steer him away from entitlement...

He's over come so much TK - with picking Iowa as his school and all.

Do you like the more pessimistic me? I am getting better at it. It's what losing does to me and was my point all along, I didn't really have anything to be all that upset about until last year. Now I am a jaded lil bitch like the rest of ya'll :)

Have any reporters asked Cook about his recruitment recently? With all these kids getting paid in the news lately with that FBI trial going on and all I'm kinda curious if Cook has any stories of being offered anything. He had quite the list of offers with schools like Kansas, Miami, TN on his offer list. Those three there aren't exactly accused of being squeaky clean programs among some of the others.

Do you like the more pessimistic me? I am getting better at it. It's what losing does to me and was my point all along, I didn't really have anything to be all that upset about until last year. Now I am a jaded lil bitch like the rest of ya'll :)
I'm right there with ya. It just happened earlier for me. It's no secret I think Fran should have been fired after last season, but apparently we got him for at least a few more years(thanks Gary!), so I got no other choice but to wait it out. Only difference is I expect more than just an NCAA appearance; I expect a Sweet 16 or better. The players are capable of it, but I don't think Fran is.

Last edited:
I'm right there with ya. It just happened earlier for me. It's no secret I think Fran should have been fired after last season, but apparently we got him for at least a few more years(thanks Gary!), so I got no other choice but to wait it out. Only difference is I expect more than just an NCAA appearance; I expect a Sweet 16 or better. This players are capable of it, but I don't think Fran is.
I wonder how many coaches with the same W/L record over what 8 yrs or so (not to mention the lack of post season success) after having a season like last yr could survive it. Obviously the ink was dry on his extension early on last yr prior to the wheels totally falling off and that to me is the only logical reason why he kept his job after it. There really was no reason for such a terrible year. Losing Jok and Jok alone pretty much shouldn't have been reason enough for it...

A little harsh on Tyler Cook. He's still a pretty young dude trying to find his way and living in a fishbowl. He seems like a good kid. But, whatever.

I believe he's a good kid - I like Tyler a lot. He's one of the best and most athletic post players I've seen at Iowa. I am the biggest Iowa hoops cheerleader you'll find. I want him to be 1st team and I will cheer him along the entire time. All that said, the national and B1G media and talking heads don't recognize it and if he wants that to change, he's gotta be even better and the team has to be better. That's not being harsh, that's being real. It's all out there for him and we all want him to succeed.... but enough with it being a slight, it's not. His team and he himself was not good enough to get the recognition coming into this season by people who follow the sport.

I wonder how many coaches with the same W/L record over what 8 yrs or so (not to mention the lack of post season success) after having a season like last yr could survive it. Obviously the ink was dry on his extension early on last yr prior to the wheels totally falling off and that to me is the only logical reason why he kept his job after it. There really was no reason for such a terrible year. Losing Jok and Jok alone pretty much shouldn't have been reason enough for it...

There building statues for Tim Miles over here in Huskerland because the won 23 games and missed the tournament last year. He has 1 NCAA in about the same time but they'll probably win The B1G this season or at least finish 2nd because he's really good.

You know...this year I'm going to wait and see how they look before I get excited about being competitive with the top teams in the B10. They sure in the hell should be with your entire team back and one new guy that is highly rated. Garza missing time hurts...but this is not a freshman and sophomore laden team any longer. They better have an attitude and toughness because there were a ton of teams last year that took their lunch money. Hell they took their lunch money and gave everyone wedgies. I'm hoping they want payback.

I made the mistake of having high expectations last year...returning players, bonding and getting in sync with the European trip...only to watch a disconnected mess. Then again, none of us knew they were playing guys that were wearing black socks and street shoes while they were in Europe.

I'm in the wait and see camp...though optimistic.

You pretty much nailed it. I think Iowa is going to win more games this season but until they prove they actually can, I'm not sure how else anyone (including the players) can expect more than getting picked 10th or 11th in the conference with no all B1G selections.

I'm right there with ya. It just happened earlier for me. It's no secret I think Fran should have been fired after last season, but apparently we got him for at least a few more years(thanks Gary!), so I got no other choice but to wait it out. Only difference is I expect more than just an NCAA appearance; I expect a Sweet 16 or better. This players are capable of it, but I don't think Fran is.

No offense but that's putting too much on the players. There isn't a single team that has zero all-conference team players that should have sweet 16 expectations. No way no how.

After last season, expecting this team to make the sweet 16 is too high of an expectation - but IMO - it should be Iowa's goal every year and I have no problem with setting the bar there. IMO - the expectation for this team is to dance.

I believe he's a good kid - I like Tyler a lot. He's one of the best and most athletic post players I've seen at Iowa. I am the biggest Iowa hoops cheerleader you'll find. I want him to be 1st team and I will cheer him along the entire time. All that said, the national and B1G media and talking heads don't recognize it and if he wants that to change, he's gotta be even better and the team has to be better. That's not being harsh, that's being real. It's all out there for him and we all want him to succeed.... but enough with it being a slight, it's not. His team and he himself was not good enough to get the recognition coming into this season by people who follow the sport.

I didn't say he should be on the list or that's it's an egregious error. I don't know who I would take off to put him on. It's a good league with good players.

I think the "no one is impressed with TC as much as TC is with himself comment" is a little harsh. If you're meaning that he's confident, I agree. It doesn't read that way.

Then "He's over come so much TK - with picking Iowa as his school and all."

No need, IMO. College kid not getting paid.

After last season, expecting this team to make the sweet 16 is too high of an expectation - but IMO - it should be Iowa's goal every year and I have no problem with setting the bar there. IMO - the expectation for this team is to dance.
Right there with ya. But what happens when we don't? Again. Fran can't honestly say if we come within 1-3 games of getting in and not anything about 'improving from last yr' Because as true as that'd be if he tries that I hope he's called out beyond belief on it because they NEVER should have been that bad to begin with. I'm afraid because of his contract he can (and most likely will according to the 'experts') come up short of dancing and still keep his job...

Gotta love capitalism at it's finest when you can get a raise for doing worse....