Mother of Iowa Football RB Goodson Starting Racial Sensitivity Program

Kudos to her. You often learn the most after a screw up. That's true in sports and in life. Learn from the mistake and work to make it better.

Assuming there is no ulterior motives beyond aiding her sons in experiencing college life as they deserve, this seems like a positive idea and something individual schools should be seeking to replicate. I wish her luck.
Sincere question... Why do you include, "Assuming there are no ulterior motives"? I read that and wonder what is out there to warrant the concern. Like you, I also wish her luck and hope such an effort will take root. If you will, please share the impetus of your concern.

Sincere question... Why do you include, "Assuming there are no ulterior motives"? I read that and wonder what is out there to warrant the concern. Like you, I also wish her luck and hope such an effort will take root. If you will, please share the impetus of your concern.

I don't know Tyler Goodson or his mother and this is in no way intended at them.

Some people see an opportunity for grift in the realm of providing these so-called "diversity services." My former town, for example, used to pay a few hundred thousand dollars per year for diversity consultants to the school district. Their task - to determine precisely why there was a bimodal distribution of test scores based on race. I probably don't have to tell you their conclusion. Of course, the remedy was, you guessed it, MORE CONSULTING!

Here is a more concrete example from the legal world. Long story short, firms will pay companies and non-profits fees in exchange for "gold stars" on diversity and inclusion. "Bu, bu, bu, but they're non-profits so they must be good!" Well, the folks at the top pay themselves over $300k for these jobs. https://www.omelvenymyersethics.org...g-recruitment-rooney-rule-mansfield-rule.html

That is why people wonder whether there are ulterior motives. The cost of running one of these outfits is really, really low, and if you are good at sales, you can make an absolute killing. "Oh, you guys aren't gold star certified? Holy smokes, I thought y'all weren't racist!"

Again, I ain't saying this is Mrs. Goodson's plan, but people need to be aware of the grift in this fast growing industry.

I'm a teacher.. so we have this kind of training monthly at minimum. It's a good idea, but it's can only go so far. Some kids are missing far more than just compassion from their coaches or teachers. Their lives are a mess, and without drastic structural changes in those lives, no amount of understanding or compassion will save them.

Is it to late to get Doyle enrolled, it appears he needs a "My Fair Lady" tutor on how to be a compassionate human being. "The rain in Spain, falls mainly in the ghetto", Wrong, try again Eliza!

I don't know Tyler Goodson or his mother and this is in no way intended at them.

Some people see an opportunity for grift in the realm of providing these so-called "diversity services." My former town, for example, used to pay a few hundred thousand dollars per year for diversity consultants to the school district. Their task - to determine precisely why there was a bimodal distribution of test scores based on race. I probably don't have to tell you their conclusion. Of course, the remedy was, you guessed it, MORE CONSULTING!

Here is a more concrete example from the legal world. Long story short, firms will pay companies and non-profits fees in exchange for "gold stars" on diversity and inclusion. "Bu, bu, bu, but they're non-profits so they must be good!" Well, the folks at the top pay themselves over $300k for these jobs. https://www.omelvenymyersethics.org...g-recruitment-rooney-rule-mansfield-rule.html

That is why people wonder whether there are ulterior motives. The cost of running one of these outfits is really, really low, and if you are good at sales, you can make an absolute killing. "Oh, you guys aren't gold star certified? Holy smokes, I thought y'all weren't racist!"

Again, I ain't saying this is Mrs. Goodson's plan, but people need to be aware of the grift in this fast growing industry.
Thank you for fleshing that out. It sheds light on something I had been unaware of. It also is very timely as the powers the be embark on redefining fair and equal. I also was hoping you hadn't intended it for Tyler or his mother.

Consulting, no matter the industry is one step away from used-car sales. Use consultants to insulate the senior managers from criticism. I also don't question Tyler's mom's motives and I hope it can move the culture in the right direction. But this is not anything solved in a month or a year.

What I meant was that some folks may use the appearance of making sincere social justice change with a specific and negative agenda behind it. I guess specifically here, maybe she wants to get KF fired and burn Iowa football to the ground, and she intends to use this new platform for such purpose. I don't know this woman in the least, and I have no reason to believe she is anything other than sincere in wanting to make needed changes, but not everyone out there is pure of heart.

So, that is what I meant. I wanted to give qualified support for her efforts knowing that sometimes things turn out to be different than they are announced to be.

Latest posts