Most Underachieveing football programs this decade

Hawkchop

I was wondering who you guys thought of as the most underachieving programs this decade?

Michigan is my first for obvious reasons
and CLemson is my 2nd...It seems they get some of the best recruits in the country every year but always seems to lose 4-5 games a every year.

I think Illinois has to be included in there because of the recruits they get and the very poor results on the field and in the win/loss column. The Zooker effect no doubt.

Michigan St also seems to underachieve as well as Penn St.

They got to a couple BCS games by got beat handily in each one. They've been surviving on reputation rather than accomplishments for the last 15 years. They lost five straight bowl games in the 2000's before beating Hawaii in 2008. And since Lou Holtz left in 96 they only have a 0.57 winning percentage. For a program that's supposedly one of the best in college football that's pretty pathetic.

I wouldn't say Michigan. Just because the last 2 years have been bad, they were a top 10 team pretty much every year of the decade before that

I think Illinois has to be included in there because of the recruits they get and the very poor results on the field and in the win/loss column. The Zooker effect no doubt.

Michigan St also seems to underachieve as well as Penn St.

How has Penn St. underachieved?

I would say Notre Dame, Florida St., and Nebraska.

This may be controversial as a pick, but considering the recruiting classes and the cheating they got away with, USC only got 1 National Championship in the 2000s.

i hated reading clemson in the first post...kind of have a soft spot for clemson, but i will have to agree that they have underachieved.

i did like the notre dame, florida state and nebraska calls. that will probably **** off some nebraska fans but its the truth here.

but i'm going to go with boise state. 2 undefeated seasons in a row and no national titles? come on guys. win more games

i hated reading clemson in the first post...kind of have a soft spot for clemson, but i will have to agree that they have underachieved.

i did like the notre dame, florida state and nebraska calls. that will probably **** off some nebraska fans but its the truth here.

but i'm going to go with boise state. 2 undefeated seasons in a row and no national titles? come on guys. win more games

I hear you on Clemson. I really enjoyed watching them when they had the Davis/Spiller connection. I'd sprint back to the school from football practice (the practice field was about half a mile away from the school), shower out, and get home to watch the Bowden Bowl every Labor Day in high school. But they have underachieved given the level of talent they enjoyed.

Florida State is another that's underachieved, along with Notre Dame. A couple that I haven't seen mentioned though: Oklahoma and Miami.

Oklahoma has walked away empty-handed from more seasons this decade than just about anyone. They've lost what, 5 BCS games in a row now? Haven't won one since the 2003 Rose Bowl, and they won nothing with Peterson.

Miami had a very good start to the decade, but since around 2003/2004, they just dropped off. They still had tons of talent, they just weren't winning anymore like they used to. They seem to be on their way back up (I'm not TOTALLY sold on that yet, though), but the last 6 years were pretty average for the 'Canes.

I agree on Florida St also, I think they will be better off now though with the new coaching staff.

Clemson should have given the ball to CJ Spiller 20 more times a game and they would have won more games.

I disagree w/ Penn St..they had some rough times but JoPa went and changed everything about the team and started winning again...at FLorida st Bowden just did the same ole and ran the program down into what it is now.

Last edited:
In some ways, USC would be another I would throw out there. They always seemed to lose one game they shouldn't during the regular season, thus preventing them from playing for a NC. Instead of playing for the NCs they should have, they got to destroy a Big Ten team in the Rose Bowl over and over again.

How could anyone say Oklahoma???? They have 7 BCS bowl appearances since 2000-01 season, and one BCS championship.

That's like saying Ohio St., because they lost the last two national title appearances.

How could anyone say Oklahoma???? They have 7 BCS bowl appearances since 2000-01 season, and one BCS championship.

That's like saying Ohio St., because they lost the last two national title appearances.

That's just it, they lost those BCS games. And take a look at some of the losses. They lose to Boise State in the Fiesta (a game in which they were the heavy favorite), they get KILLED by both USC and West Virginia. They didn't do too bad against Florida, but Florida was clearly better. The only other game that they kept close (against a big time opponent) was LSU. With all the talent that's come through Norman in the last decade (31 players drafted on Day 1 since 2000. Miami had 41, just for the sake of giving OU's number some context), they should have done more.

THey have gone to two BCS bowls though

With a built in advantage. Someone correct me if I'm wrong but isn't there a rule where if ND finishes in the top 12 in the final BCS ranking they automatically get an invite where all other BCS schools must make the top 9 (10 minus ND if ND is ranked 11th or 12th) to be assured of an invite?

Latest posts