Most overpaid coach in College Football according to ESPN

Well surprise surprise. I guess if Nick Saban doesnt win a natty champ this year either then he will probably be called this. And coach K at Duke makes close to 8 mill and its been what 7-8 years since his last natty champ. Look out coaches, espn will get you next.

When is this tool going to be fired? This is really getting embarrassing considering all the resources he has available.

As the Iowa athletic director, Gary Barta's results in the Learfield Director's Cup,[3] Big Ten standings (by year):

Year

Place

Notes

2006 11th out of 11 Big Ten schools, or last in conference athletics
2007 11th out of 11 Big Ten schools
2008 10th out of 11 Big Ten schools
2009 11th out of 11 Big Ten schools
2010 9th out of 11 Big Ten schools
2011 12th out of 12 Big Ten schools, Nebraska added to conference
2012 12th out of 12 Big Ten schools
2013 12th out of 12 Big Ten schools

This is so tired of writers, if you can call them that. Winning games is the most visible thing a coach does but what he brings to the athletics programs in revenue is much more important to the university. Iowa is one of the top schools in the country for bringing in money. In a perfect world you'd like the results on the field to match the income generated and the coaches salary. I'm not happy with the state of Iowa football but to just change coaches is a knee jerk reaction. Let's say we hire a new coach comes in for a million dollars a year and wins 8 games every year. Sounds great but what if he's a pr disaster and Iowa brings in a much lower amount of money into the athletic budget. Pretty soon Iowa is having to cut athletic programs, facilities become old and stale. The wins won't come as easy. As far as replacing the coach. Fear should never keep you from making a move but the new hire has to be the right fit. As long as Barta makes that decision I'm not comfortable with that. Just my 2 cents.

----Guess ESPN thinks 2002-04 never happened huh?

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Early candidate for next weeks dumbest post of the week

Well surprise surprise. I guess if Nick Saban doesnt win a natty champ this year either then he will probably be called this. And coach K at Duke makes close to 8 mill and its been what 7-8 years since his last natty champ. Look out coaches, espn will get you next.
How many "nattys" has Kirk Ferentz won?

When is this tool going to be fired? This is really getting embarrassing considering all the resources he has available.

As the Iowa athletic director, Gary Barta's results in the Learfield Director's Cup,[3] Big Ten standings (by year):

Year

Place

Notes

Horrific. Pathetic.

This is so tired of writers, if you can call them that. Winning games is the most visible thing a coach does but what he brings to the athletics programs in revenue is much more important to the university. Iowa is one of the top schools in the country for bringing in money. In a perfect world you'd like the results on the field to match the income generated and the coaches salary. I'm not happy with the state of Iowa football but to just change coaches is a knee jerk reaction. Let's say we hire a new coach comes in for a million dollars a year and wins 8 games every year. Sounds great but what if he's a pr disaster and Iowa brings in a much lower amount of money into the athletic budget. Pretty soon Iowa is having to cut athletic programs, facilities become old and stale. The wins won't come as easy. As far as replacing the coach. Fear should never keep you from making a move but the new hire has to be the right fit. As long as Barta makes that decision I'm not comfortable with that. Just my 2 cents.
It's pretty easy for the U of I to be a profitable school when it comes to sports. There's no pro teams and only a cow college to compete with.

Year

Place

Notes

well if we could annex the Big 12 to B1G then we at least would be a middle of the road school....... 12th out of 24. :)

Just to help some.

sar·casm
ˈsärˌkazəm/
noun
the use of irony to mock or convey contempt.
"his voice, hardened by sarcasm, could not hide his resentment"
synonyms: derision, mockery, ridicule, scorn, sneering, scoffing; More

It's pretty easy for the U of I to be a profitable school when it comes to sports. There's no pro teams and only a cow college to compete with.
The wrong hire could turn things. What if we hired someone with the personality of Bo Pellini, that could rub people the wrong way. Of course if we hired someone like Nick Saban it could boost things. I personally like a coach who sets his sights on BIG and national titles. For the record I think the most over paid coach is the collection of stiffs that have paraded through ISU. They've had football for well over 100 years and they've only won 9 games twice and that was 94 years apart. Their all-time winningest coach is Dan McCarney who I believe had 52 wins and they decided they didn't need him because of the greener pastures they've had with Rhoads and Chizek. It only figures the clowns had their best success when they reached out to get someone from Iowa.

i don't understand calling it knee jerk when it's years overdue.

The wrong hire could turn things. What if we hired someone with the personality of Bo Pellini, that could rub people the wrong way. Of course if we hired someone like Nick Saban it could boost things. I personally like a coach who sets his sights on BIG and national titles. For the record I think the most over paid coach is the collection of stiffs that have paraded through ISU. They've had football for well over 100 years and they've only won 9 games twice and that was 94 years apart. Their all-time winningest coach is Dan McCarney who I believe had 52 wins and they decided they didn't need him because of the greener pastures they've had with Rhoads and Chizek. It only figures the clowns had their best success when they reached out to get someone from Iowa.

Yeah, all of that is true ,but yet those Clowns have regularly beaten the most overpaid coach in college football. This program needs a change in leadership. I hope the new Prez fires Barta and brings in a real AD. Then hires Bielema. Little birdies say he would love to coach at his alma mater.

I think Ferentz and any coach that would have been at Iowa would be on that list... Iowa because they have the money will not be cheap with their head coach. Be it Ferentz or the next man in. Yet Iowa will not be in the running for the final 4 in the near future.... So if you define overpaid strictly by record and not being in the national title run then Iowas HC will just about always be on that list. Yet as far as the school itself is concerned the stadium has been mostly full on game days and the money has been flowing in like water so they have no problems with the way things have been hence giving him him an unfireable contract. There's really no reason to give he or any coach a deal like he has and that's the only logic from the schools side I can see as to why.

Going back to trying to get in the playoffs... I think those rules be it expanding it to 6 or 8 teams for it will happen before Iowa is in the running for it. For two reasons. First 4 teams isn't very many spots and Iowa is just so far from it I don't see it happening. Second of all I think they'll change it to 6 or 8 sooner then later just because of the amount of money they can bring in if they do. It seemed to me some of the middle lower bowl games had a bunch of empty seats in them. You have the excitement of playoffs added to them and I think that'll put a charge into fans attending.. Time will tell

Latest posts