Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happening"

The

This quote from today's Teleconference is most telling

Ferentz: "The bottom line is its tough to win a game when you have three turnovers."

He just does not see that the first two would not have had any effect on the game had he just simply realized that the only way to lose for certain was throwing the ball when your running attack was averaging 5 YPC.

There is no excuse for the third turnover, you let your ground game eat up a tired and overmatched Defense by running the ball 3 times from that first and ten onward, maybe even running again on 4th and short.

The fact that he says the above quote shows me that he lacks foresight into the understanding of fundamental football knowledge.

While some may say this is hindsight, we all had the benefit of the 58:30 of football prior to that point and all indications were "simply run the ball into FG position, take a shot at the kick and if you miss or end up having to punt just run over them again in OT."

Kirk's hubris in this situation is causing him to point the finger at anyone but himself, and it is causing him to lose sight of the big picture and the fact that he is the only one who can do anything to turn this thing around.

Quotes like this are why my trust and faith in Kirk is at an all time low. The guy just can not see that the blame for third and "losing" turnover lies with him alone.

It would be better if he had some semblance of accountability and simply said "That last turnover and subsequent game winning FG is all on me, I made the wrong decision and it cost us the game". I would have more respect for him than what he just did which is quoted the box score and nothing else.

Re: Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happen

for all of KF's faults, Iowa running an out route in that time/place is not one of them

It's also tough to win a game when your DBs are sucking wind by the end of the game because you can't pressure the QB

Re: Most Damning Instance of the fact that Kirk F "Just does not grasp what is happen

Ferentz: "The bottom line is its tough to win a game when you have three turnovers."

He just does not see that the first two would not have had any effect on the game had he just simply realized that the only way to lose for certain was throwing the ball when your running attack was averaging 5 YPC.

There is no excuse for the third turnover, you let your ground game eat up a tired and overmatched Defense by running the ball 3 times from that first and ten onward, maybe even running again on 4th and short.

The fact that he says the above quote shows me that he lacks foresight into the understanding of fundamental football knowledge.

While some may say this is hindsight, we all had the benefit of the 58:30 of football prior to that point and all indications were "simply run the ball into FG position, take a shot at the kick and if you miss or end up having to punt just run over them again in OT."

Kirk's hubris in this situation is causing him to point the finger at anyone but himself, and it is causing him to lose sight of the big picture and the fact that he is the only one who can do anything to turn this thing around.

Quotes like this are why my trust and faith in Kirk is at an all time low. The guy just can not see that the blame for third and "losing" turnover lies with him alone.

It would be better if he had some semblance of accountability and simply said "That last turnover and subsequent game winning FG is all on me, I made the wrong decision and it cost us the game". I would have more respect for him than what he just did which is quoted the box score and nothing else.
That's the thing that bothers me most about him and why I don't think he a stand up guy like so many do. The guy very rarely takes responsibility for anything bad that happens.

One does tend to lose games with three turnovers and two special teams gaffes. That said, Davis' playcalling coulda been better.

playcalling could have been better, especially in the 2nd half.

The rest of the OP rant is subjective BS.

playcalling could have been better, especially in the 2nd half.

The rest of the OP rant is subjective BS.

Im sick of how negative you are. We get it you are not happy now why dont you leave if you dont like what you are reading?

for all of KF's faults, Iowa running an out route in that time/place is not one of them

It's also tough to win a game when your DBs are sucking wind by the end of the game because you can't pressure the QB

My take is that if you are going to open up the offense like it looks Davis is trying to do, you also have to open up the defense. We saw that a little on Saturday with some great new blitz packages. Ultimately, we're at the point where if we can open up the offense and add two more TDs a week on average and open up the defense and give up one more TD on average, we should have a decent record based on all of the close losses.

But, when you open up the offense, you need good situational coaching to get your defense a breather every now and then, especially in hot games like Saturday's game. You also have to take more chances on defense, maybe a few more blitzes, maybe playing a little tighter outside, maybe trying to jump a few more routes, etc. We need to add a few possessions to the game and make them count on offense. Doing so will obviously make the defense look less stellar, but the team just looked really schizophrenic out there trying to run our old vanilla 4-3 most of the time and then acting like a slow motion Oregon team without any home run hitters on offense rather than a line up and grind it out Iowa offense that complements that vanilla 4-3 and tries to shorten the game in the hopes of winning a low scoring battle. I know I've been less than full of praise for the staff the past few days, but if they can grasp an identity as they modernize the team, I think they can do fine. The optimist in me wants to say they can and we'll wind up with 6 or 7 wins, but I can't completely disagree with what you've been saying for the past month after watching Saturday's game, either.

The fact that you think the first two turnovers didnt effect the game shows you don't know much. Who is to say try would have gotten in field goal range just by running? Who is to say someone wouldn't fumble the ball? It is easy to look back when a play fails and say it should not have been ran.

Meh. The DL was trying to contain Lynch, which they did a damn nice job of doing. I would've liked to have seen a few more blitzes though.

myopia and tunnel-vision... a bad combination.

Last edited:

Didn't we only have one timeout left? Running it would have bled the clock before we got into FG range. That out pattern gets us those same yards (probably more) and takes 6 seconds off the clock.
If we do run it a bunch if times, people come on here and pizz and moan that captain conservative strikes again. He's throwing the ball to get down the field for the GW FG.

1z66vth.gif

Is it out of the realm of possibility that not getting pressure on Lynch was by design; that the game plan going into the game (in regards to Lynch) was to not let him run?

Lynch didn't run at all on Saturday, but he clearly worked on his accuracy over the off-season.

Is it out of the realm of possibility that not getting pressure on Lynch was by design; that the game plan going into the game (in regards to Lynch) was to not let him run?

Lynch didn't run at all on Saturday, but he clearly worked on his accuracy over the off-season.

What are those... Thoughts?

You git outta here with that! Git!!!!!

It was well publicized that Iowa planned to make Lynch beat us with his arm. The game plan worked, except that Lynch beat us with his arm...that, and individual mistakes by our corner backs that gave up three TD's.

It was well publicized that Iowa planned to make Lynch beat us with his arm. The game plan worked, except that Lynch beat us with his arm...that, and individual mistakes by our corner backs that gave up three TD's.

Secondary in general.

Latest posts