Morehouse: Iowa OK on recruiting front w/ hospitalizations & Sash quote

People are making a lot of the players getting "proper hydration during the workout"...but correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you supposed to be well hydrated going into a game or a workout? Trying to do it during a game or workout would be too late to reap most of the benefits?

In other words, wouldn't their hydration or lack thereof in this case, be from poor preparation and probably not from "in workout" hydration?

Not sure where I'm going with this, other than I think people are barking up the wrong hydration tree...

Edit: And when I say "going into a game or a workout" I mean days ahead of time, not chugging a gallon 2 hrs before it's go time...

Last edited:
People are making a lot of the players getting "proper hydration during the workout"...but correct me if I'm wrong, aren't you supposed to be well hydrated going into a game or a workout? Trying to do it during a game or workout would be too late to reap most of the benefits?

In other words, wouldn't their hydration or lack thereof in this case, be from poor preparation and probably not from "in workout" hydration?

Not sure where I'm going with this, other than I think people are barking up the wrong hydration tree...

Edit: And when I say "going into a game or a workout" I mean days ahead of time, not chugging a gallon 2 hrs before it's go time...

Yes, you want to hydrate before ,during, and after a workout.

The link between hydration and this condition is that being hydrated at all times will help your kindneys flush myoglobin out of the body. Myoglobin is a protein that is released in the blood stream after muscle trauma occurs, and it is difficult for the kidneys to filter this. It is difficult enough when hydrated to flush out myoglobin. Being dehydrated coud certainly result in acute kindney failure when you have this condition.

The bigger question should be: What the hell were these players doing to cause such severe trauma to the muscles?

The link between hydration and this condition is that being hydrated at all times will help your kindneys flush myoglobin out of the body. Myoglobin is a protein that is released in the blood stream after muscle trauma occurs, and it is difficult for the kidneys to filter this. It is difficult enough when hydrated to flush out myoglobin. Being dehydrated coud certainly result in acute kindney failure when you have this condition.

The bigger question should be: What the hell were these players doing to cause such severe trauma to the muscles?

Really? What rock have you been under the last few days? Oh I see...you are trolling.

Depending on the activity, you start hydrating at least 24 hours beforehand if not earlier. And you're not guzzling big quantities of water at a time, you are taking a few ounces several times each hour leading up to the activity. You also hydrate during the activity and then after -- especially after to help flush the toxins from your system.