More coverage of hawks in eastern iowa?

BergHawk7

A question for those who live in eastern iowa, does iowa get almost all the coverage and talked more highly about there as iowa st does here in des moines? do local sports anchors over there have hawkeye goggles on?

it just always seems like ISU is talked more about here in central iowa then the hawks. I always look to have equality between the two when covered (would like to hear more iowa), but murph and andy are the only ones that do a good job at doing that. Seems like isu is talked up more, advertised more, and covered more here. I get because isu is closer, but why should that matter?

What do you think? Should local sports have equal coverage of the two no matter where theyre located?

What did I learn in college about news? As long as news is ran by local stations try to sell it's product to the viewers in their area they will follow these seven things:

1. Impact: these stories are events that change people's lives.
2. Timeliness: these stories refer to how long ago an event happened.
3. Prominence: these stories focus on prominent people or organizations - even if they're doing minor things. (Brad Pitt, Tiger Woods, Sarah Palin, Google, NFL, President Obama, etc.)
4. Proximity: these stories cover events that occur close to home or within our industries.
5. Conflict: these stories occur when people or organizations disagree, fight, or argue - especially when they are of prominence. That's big news.
6. The Bizarre or Unusual: these stories cover rare or odd events. (natural disasters, 90-1 shot winning the Kentucky Derby, man bites dog, etc.)
7. Currency: these stories cover issues that have current interest such as the economy, approaching holidays, sporting events, TV shows, movies, etc. Trends would be a good example.

So no, there will never be equal coverage.

A question for those who live in eastern iowa, does iowa get almost all the coverage and talked more highly about there as iowa st does here in des moines? do local sports anchors over there have hawkeye goggles on?

it just always seems like ISU is talked more about here in central iowa then the hawks. I always look to have equality between the two when covered (would like to hear more iowa), but murph and andy are the only ones that do a good job at doing that. Seems like isu is talked up more, advertised more, and covered more here. I get because isu is closer, but why should that matter?

What do you think? Should local sports have equal coverage of the two no matter where theyre located?

Yes Iowa does get most of the coverage in Eastern Iowa. But Iowa State is fighting back. They are putting another Iowa State Billboard somewhere between CR and Iowa City.
I guess you could always put an Iowa Billboard between Des Moines and Ames. I hope it works for you:)

Funny you should mention this. I live in Iowa City and subscribe to the CR Gazette. I have been VERY close to cancelling on occasion when they feature Iowa State on the front of the sports page. I don't like it, and I don't want it. They did it again the other day and it pisses me off.

A question for those who live in eastern iowa, does iowa get almost all the coverage and talked more highly about there as iowa st does here in des moines? do local sports anchors over there have hawkeye goggles on?it just always seems like ISU is talked more about here in central iowa then the hawks. I always look to have equality between the two when covered (would like to hear more iowa), but murph and andy are the only ones that do a good job at doing that. Seems like isu is talked up more, advertised more, and covered more here. I get because isu is closer, but why should that matter? What do you think? Should local sports have equal coverage of the two no matter where theyre located?
Yes Iowa does get most of the coverage in Eastern Iowa. But Iowa State is fighting back. They are putting another Iowa State Billboard somewhere between CR and Iowa City. I guess you could always put an Iowa Billboard between Des Moines and Ames. I hope it works for you:)

Why doesnt iowa put billboards up around des moines? I dont recall ever seeing one around the area? Why doesnt iowa advertise more in general? Isu has tv commercials and billboards.

Why doesnt iowa put billboards up around des moines? I dont recall ever seeing one around the area? Why doesnt iowa advertise more in general? Isu has tv commercials and billboards.
Does Iowa really need it? Iowa already sold out most (if not all) home football games (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so there is really no reason for any football related billboards or commercials.

ISU's sales are up too but we aren't going to see sellouts for every game so advertising will help get the casual fans to the games.

Does Iowa really need it? Iowa already sold out most (if not all) home football games (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so there is really no reason for any football related billboards or commercials.ISU's sales are up too but we aren't going to see sellouts for every game so
advertising will help get the casual
fans to the games.

Does Coke, Bud Lite, Google really need to advertise? Brand awareness is never a bad idea. There is always competition lurking somewhere. Iowa could (should) certainly do this with a billboard or two (would love to pass by one in western/central iowa), doesn't necessarily mean for just football, but for now they spend their marketing $ elsewhere.

There is usually an Iowa billboard going south on 380 somewhere around 33 ave. It's there every year with different people. Haven't seen these anywhere else.

Fighting back by "welcoming home" a guy who lives in Texas.

Their fascination with signs is perplexing.

2jb0fhy.jpg

Last edited:
I feel so sorry for all of you. I live fifty miles from Omaha and hear nothing except how good Nebraska will be and how great Bo is. It's Big Red Ad Nauseum. At least 13 months out of the year. We can't get DM radio and the Register stopped delivering to my door.
If it wasn't for you guys, I'd have no idea that Iowa was having a team this year. And that would be bad as I finally got season tickets.

Does Iowa really need it? Iowa already sold out most (if not all) home football games (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong) so there is really no reason for any football related billboards or commercials.ISU's sales are up too but we aren't going to see sellouts for every game so advertising will help get the casual fans to the games.
Does Coke, Bud Lite, Google really need to advertise? Brand awareness is never a bad idea. There is always competition lurking somewhere. Iowa could (should) certainly do this with a billboard or two (would love to pass by one in western/central iowa), doesn't necessarily mean for just football, but for now they spend their marketing $ elsewhere.

This is freakn Iowa. We do not need a billboard to add brand awareness. Barta doesn't need to involve himself in Pollard's my billboard is bigger then urs saga.

I feel so sorry for all of you. I live fifty miles from Omaha and hear nothing except how good Nebraska will be and how great Bo is. It's Big Red Ad Nauseum. At least 13 months out of the year. We can't get DM radio and the Register stopped delivering to my door.
If it wasn't for you guys, I'd have no idea that Iowa was having a team this year. And that would be bad as I finally got season tickets.
Yep, here in SW Iowa it is Husker time, all the time. Used to be able to hear 1040, but not so good anymore. At least the WH kicked up it's B10 coverage with the switch.

Latest posts