Monday Night Expansion Stuff

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Just catching up on the twitter folk I follow...

First, a tweet from Chip Brown of Orangebloods.com, the reporter that shed light on the Pac 10's interest in the six Big 12 teams: "My AD source with knowledge of the B10 says Notre Dame is listening bec it doesn't want to be left out of 4 16-team super conferences."

Then this from Pete Thamel from the New York Times: "BCS AD told me tonight: "Notre Dame and the Big Ten are very much in deliberations." The question is, will they finish before B12 deadline??"

Then this from Pete a little while later: "Talking to ND AD Jack Swarbrick. On deliberations with the Big 10: "That’s just not true."

Then this from ESPN's Joe Schad: "One source close to Big Ten cautions me that ND is "not budging."

Yes, my head is spinning, too.

Earlier today I posted that I felt the Big Ten could invite Notre Dame and be done with it. I still think that could happen...but I also think the Big Ten could go with Nebraska, Missouri and Notre Dame, and perhaps look for two more. That three-school invite is gaining a bit more steam tonight, but I start to wonder if that is echo chamber stuff...enough people read enough stuff and everyone starts to tweet it and then it seems more credible because you see it from so many places, where in reality it's just an echo effect.

It has been interesting following Chip Brown's tweets tonight (@chipbrown). Its clear that he is mouthpiece for Texas AD Deloss Dodds, or someone close to Dodds. He is defending Texas like crazy, talking about how Texas and Nebraska have a great relationship...I still think Texas is trying to prop Nebraska up as a straw man in this shell game, so that when the dominos start to fall, Texas can say 'We didn't start this'.

Wait, Dodds said that exact thing last week or the week before, something along the lines of 'we didn't start this, but we will finish it' or something you might hear on the third grade recess fields.

This is the biggest offseason drama I can ever recall in college athletics, and for good reason; it's going to shape the next quarter century once all of the dust settles.

If the Big Ten was able to get Notre Dame to come into the league in the next 10 days, and no others (at least for now), I think that would stop the Big 12 Six from leaving that league, and put an end to the Pac 10's uber-expansion plans. However, I don't know how likely that is.

Just like you, I have the popcorn going in the microwave and am sitting back and enjoying the drama. I guess I can do that since I know Iowa is in the Big Ten and their future in that league is cemented and safe...it's nice to have that to sleep on.

This has been the most eventful off-season that I can remember in a long time. Lots of stuff to talk about in a time that usually has nothing good (see Hampton/Bernstine) to talk about.

In the Frank the Tank Blog, he says NE, MO and ND get an invite Wed. This takes the Big 10 to 14. This allows the final two spots to go to TX and A&M. By leaving only 2 spots only, you eliminate the Tech and Baylor problems. Also, in the end, ND, TX, A&M and MO would be in a pod together. This would give ND and TX what they want. TX keeps the rivalry with A&M. ND keeps a big game in TX.

A lot of people chasing their tails. Tell me when the conferences are decided. I'm going to bed to sleep...well.

I have a feeling Missouri will eventually end up in the Big Ten, with or without Notre Dame.

I think we will see the Big Ten expand to 14 or 16 teams.

It's a gut feel based on all that I've heard and read.

Last edited:
I think when all is said and done....there will have been more said than done.

I remain convinced the Big 12 will remain pretty much intact and Notre Dame won't be joining the Big 10.

Latest posts