Monday Morning Quarterback: Post Michigan

Great read. I love getting his insight on the games. And he's right, we did use a good offensive gameplan. Only gripe is that we couldn't do better on the defensive side in the second half. This is usually where we excel.

Great read. I love getting his insight on the games. And he's right, we did use a good offensive gameplan. Only gripe is that we couldn't do better on the defensive side in the second half. This is usually where we excel.

"Come on, MAN!" ;). You don't gameplan for two QBs. Also note, we did adjust by going to a 3-4 when it counted.

Can't agree with the offensive game plan at all. Hayden Fry would've scratched where it itched and come out throwing off play action with the opening series -- against the worst pass defense in the history of pass defense. I guess Kirk wasn't paying attention all those years with Coach Fry. Kirk does NOT use the scratch/itch theory, although it's the essence of any plan of attack, football or otherwise. Nor does Kirk use any of the exotics that Hayden used with such great effect on most occasions. Even the THREAT of an exotic, like an end around pass, or a Statue of Liberty, or a shovel pass, gives the defense pause. And that pause can be the difference between a successful offensive play and a dud.

We all love Kirk, and the results over the last 3 years have been amazing. But those results do not negate the facts. Iowa's offense is too often SO conservative and predictable it becomes a liability to itself and, therefore, the defense.

And finally, taking the opening kickoff, running two plays up the middle for nothing and then throwing short on a throwing down and punting didn't work very well at Arizona (blocked punt, Arizona TD) or Michigan (3 and out, Michigan TD). So what, exactly, is the strategic advantage Iowa is gaining with that plan? Practice in coming from behind...?

Last edited: