Monday Morning CF Fredrick Update

giphy.gif

Cautiously optimistic.

While this team showed it can win without CJ against Maryland, we also saw the flipside against Nebraska.

We need CJ both from a depth and outside shooting perspective. 7 guys is too thin a roster, and CJ is the only other consistent shooter besides JW.

With CJ, this is a tournament team. Without him, I fear we run out of steam through the conference grind.

That’s some good Monday morning news. You would think (nothing is given) we could get bye NW Tuesday night. NW is also dealing with a lot of injury issues their second leading scorer Boo Booie is out indefinitely and Anthony Gaines is out for the year.

But Michigan is one where even 10-15 minutes out of CJF could be huge.

Wasn't there a chance he wasn't going to red shirt last year but a minor injury held him back from being able to demonstrate he was ready year one? Or was he red shirt from the beginning?

This kinda seems like an injury that keeps him out of a game here and there to keep it at a minor stress reaction. Once it's good, play until the first hint of pain, then take a week off. Then play again until you feel pain again. Late in the season come tournament time, play through the pain if you want/can.

Fran must be cautious

And make certain that Freddy can play without the possibility of suffering further injury that could keep him on the bench the remainder of the season or even perhaps end his basketball career at Iowa

Just a few minutes with him in the game would certainly help

He is the complete package, on offense and defense

A heady player who attacks quickly and efficiently and is very active on D

Freddy is a Nightmare

Fran must be cautious

And make certain that Freddy can play without the possibility of suffering further injury that could keep him on the bench the remainder of the season or even perhaps end his basketball career at Iowa

Just a few minutes with him in the game would certainly help

He is the complete package, on offense and defense

A heady player who attacks quickly and efficiently and is very active on D

Freddy is a Nightmare

We don't want an 80% Freddy either.

If we need him vs Northwestern, the team isn't going anywhere...rest him, more, rather than less.
That logic is completely flawed. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that bad teams are capable of playing good. They just don't play good often. If we catch Northwestern on a good night, we will need CJ to win. And that game will have absolutely no barring on the rest of the season.

Fran has already said he will let CJF and the doctors decide when he can play.

Fran has his flaws, but I don't believe he would push a player back too early. This one is really up to the doctors and trainers. CJF is the type of kid what would play with a broken leg.

Wasn't there a chance he wasn't going to red shirt last year but a minor injury held him back from being able to demonstrate he was ready year one? Or was he red shirt from the beginning?

Pretty sure he was always going to redshirt.

That logic is completely flawed. Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that bad teams are capable of playing good. They just don't play good often. If we catch Northwestern on a good night, we will need CJ to win. And that game will have absolutely no barring on the rest of the season.
Well the logic isn't (COMPLETELY flawed as you suggest) if a bad team can beat a better team only once in a while, right? I like the odds of resting an injured player who "might" be able to play a game vs a weak team but would be a better contributor to the team if he is healthier when the games are more of a challenge. Thus the "rest" bonus.

Fran has already said he will let CJF and the doctors decide when he can play.

Fran has his flaws, but I don't believe he would push a player back too early. This one is really up to the doctors and trainers. CJF is the type of kid what would play with a broken leg.
If CFJ would want to play "while injured," I would guess I would want a coach to have some input into whether he can play or not, and not let the player and doctors make the decision without him.

Day to Day? To borrow from Dan Patrick - Aren't we all? He should sit if he's not fully recovered. Shouldn't even be a close call.

Latest posts