MLB Week 1

Northside Hawk

The Brewers, Pirates and Rays are flying out of the gate. The Red Sox and Phillies? Not so much.

Early returns show that the pitch clock, shift rules, amd bigger bases are making an impact. And it favors athletic teams who can run over beer league teams who wait for the occasional long ball.

Stolen bases, to name one example, are way up. And you are seeing teams content to move runners and string base hits now that the five hole up the middle can't be covered and ringing shots between second and first are no longer double plays.

For one example, Jason Heyward of the Dodgers was picked up off the scrap heap and has had a career Renaissance. Because his natural swing was a death sentence for defensive shifts who gobbled up his line smashes like a Venus Flytrap catches bugs.

David Stearns and Craig Counsell of Milwaukee, tremendously underrated general manager and manager respectively, may have shown once again that they're a step ahead of the curve. They have exciting, young athletic players on their team, on the IL, and more on the way. They lead the NL not only in record but run differential. And for about 40% of the payroll of a team like the Mets, who the Brewers just made mincemeat out of this week.

Again, small sample size. It usually takes about 40-50 games for major league teams to find their level. But this could become the biggest sports story of the summer, and bring a jolt to a game that so desperately needs it.

Last edited:
Personally love the rule changes. Also love the fact that it's bring the athleticism and speed back to the game. While I'm a fan of the long ball I really miss the days where speedsters were in high demand and base stealing and aggressive baserunning was almost as dominant. Looking like its going to be a fun year.

Personally love the rule changes. Also love the fact that it's bring the athleticism and speed back to the game. While I'm a fan of the long ball I really miss the days where speedsters were in high demand and base stealing and aggressive baserunning was almost as dominant. Looking like its going to be a fun year.
This. I am normally a traditionalist in every sense of the word when it comes to baseball, but these new rules are outstanding.

Watching Manny Machado get rung up the other day because he was readjusting his gloves for the 37th time was a thing of beauty.

Seeing Machado trying to call time with 8.04 seconds left on the clock and getting denied was another thing of beauty.

Machado getting tossed for arguing a rule he knew about and had all of spring training to figure out along with every single other MLB player was just icing on the cake.

And let’s be real…

The pitch clock is not trying to change baseball. It’s trying to bring it back to where it was for 100 years. Players slowing the game down by a half hour has only happened in the last 20 years and this just fixes it. It’s great

Dan Vogelbach, who has now bounced around five teams in as many years, will be out of the game within a year or two because he resembles an appliance delivery worker more than a baseball player. I saw him this week hit a ball down the right field line in Milwaukee that got hung up in the corner and the young outfielder from Milwaukee Garrett Mitchell gunned him down not trying for a triple, but a double.

Vogelbach's niche in the game may be as a pinch hitter, but with the advent of the DH you really don't need many of them anymore.

I'm still pissed my Chicago White Sox let Jose Abreu walk. But I have tried to move on. I wasn't happy with their off season and I was worried about their pitching in general. I think Lynn bounces back. Cease will do Cy Young things. Giolito hasn't convinced me he has figured it out, and Kopech looked like hot garbage in his first start. Did I say I was pissed about the Astros signing Abreu?

Overall the rule changes really don't bother me as much. The only one I dislike is the 2 pick off rule per AB. That I think is a bit flawed. You can get a potential 5+ pitch AB and you have Ronald Acuna Jr. on first. Let's say you have a hitter that has fouled off several pitches and the count is full, but like everything, I suppose everyone will adjust.

I do like the pitch clock and the hitter clock as well. That part I think does help move the game. The stepping in and stepping out of the box, the walking around the mound between every pitch was making things just drag.

Listening to some of the games, it's interesting how they discussed strategy about how if a batter calls time and uses his time out, pitchers are getting the ball back and holding it for as long as they can to "freeze" the hitters timing.

Lots of new rules and lots of changes in strategy. Oh and the whole shift rule doesn't bother me at all.

I'm still pissed my Chicago White Sox let Jose Abreu walk. But I have tried to move on. I wasn't happy with their off season and I was worried about their pitching in general. I think Lynn bounces back. Cease will do Cy Young things. Giolito hasn't convinced me he has figured it out, and Kopech looked like hot garbage in his first start. Did I say I was pissed about the Astros signing Abreu?
I get it, but Abreu hated it there and didn't want to play for them anymore, so really it's best for the team to cut ties. Guys like that can really F up a team dynamic down the stretch, especially if things aren't going well.

I think I like the changes because they aren't changing the rules, but rather simply speeding up the game. I'm a fan of the sport, but find that I spend more time listening to games then I do watching them simply because I didn't have the time on weekdays to sit through a 3 hour game. Now it may only be shaving 20-30 minutes off a game, but anyone with younger kids realizes that as a parent that's possibly the difference between watching a game at home, or taking the kids to catch a game in person, and losing your shit during those extra 20-30 minutes because your 3 year old lost interest 45 minutes ago.

I get it, but Abreu hated it there and didn't want to play for them anymore, so really it's best for the team to cut ties. Guys like that can really F up a team dynamic down the stretch, especially if things aren't going well.
"Pito" always had slow starts blamed on cooler temps in Chicago. I loved him and the Sox always had a great line of first basemen from Big Frank to Konerko to Abreu and now hopefully Vaughn. I'm moving on from Abreu. He had a good run of 9 years with the Sox and it just never panned out. In some ways, I hope he gets his ring. Just hard for me to want anything good for the Astros. LOL.

I love baseball but with the advent of free agency, it's hard to have favorite players. You really have to just love your team and enjoy them. Although, with these huge contracts, I suppose some players will have the opportunity to stick around.

Hoping the Sox with Grifol at the helm and their younger nucleus will compete and at minimum be fun to watch. Luckily, I've had good luck watch Heller and boys have some early success, and keep up with them on Big Ten+ and watching the Sox on NBC Sports Chicago.

Heck, any game on is fine with me. Glad baseball is back!

Last edited:
What are you guys' thoughts on the extra inning runner at second? I dislike it. I see why in some ways with saving arms, but to me, I am a traditionalist and that's part of the game. I also just shake my head at some of the crazy things they are trying in the minors. Has me shaking my head.

Overall the rule changes really don't bother me as much. The only one I dislike is the 2 pick off rule per AB. That I think is a bit flawed. You can get a potential 5+ pitch AB and you have Ronald Acuna Jr. on first. Let's say you have a hitter that has fouled off several pitches and the count is full, but like everything, I suppose everyone will adjust.

I do like the pitch clock and the hitter clock as well. That part I think does help move the game. The stepping in and stepping out of the box, the walking around the mound between every pitch was making things just drag.

Listening to some of the games, it's interesting how they discussed strategy about how if a batter calls time and uses his time out, pitchers are getting the ball back and holding it for as long as they can to "freeze" the hitters timing.

Lots of new rules and lots of changes in strategy. Oh and the whole shift rule doesn't bother me at all.

My two cents is the pickoff rule was needed IMO because it was being taken advantage of and totally unnecessary to throw over as often as they were. I think it also plays into more base stealing attempts, which I think is long over due and will help rejuvenate a part of the game that's been missing since we shifted to analytics and the long ball mentality.

The shift rule does bother me to a point, because IMO it's ridding the game of strategic planning and positioning. Is it advantageous to the defense, absolutely. However, I don't believe it's fair to the defense saying players can't position themselves to take advantage of a batter's tendencies. I'm not a fan of the shift, but IMO it could be utilized by both teams throughout a game and didn't create any competitive advantage so why eliminate it.

But overall I'm definitely on board with the changes.

What are you guys' thoughts on the extra inning runner at second? I dislike it. I see why in some ways with saving arms, but to me, I am a traditionalist and that's part of the game. I also just shake my head at some of the crazy things they are trying in the minors. Has me shaking my head.
I'm not necessarily a fan of it simply because I don't understand why put a base runner on 2nd at the start of the 10th inning when they weren't there the first 9. IMO it adds a bit of urgency knowing there's already a runner in scoring position before the first pitch of the inning, but not sure I like something being added at the end of the game simply to help the game end sooner. I see it as gimmicky, and a way to catch the attention of the casual fan. That said, I guess a possible alternative would be to end game in ties which could definitely be interesting as well to see how things panned out at the end of a season.

I just agree with most that extra innings are and have always been part of the game so I'm not sure why we needed to change things when there was never an issue before.

The shift rule does bother me to a point, because IMO it's ridding the game of strategic planning and positioning. Is it advantageous to the defense, absolutely. However, I don't believe it's fair to the defense saying players can't position themselves to take advantage of a batter's tendencies. I'm not a fan of the shift, but IMO it could be utilized by both teams throughout a game and didn't create any competitive advantage so why eliminate it.

But overall I'm definitely on board with the changes.
There's a couple of ways we need to look at the shift rule. Just for clarity, I'm totally in favor of the rule.

The first is that the shift was such a huge advantage that it was really bad for the sport and the excitement of the game. I don't think a lot of people understand how impossibly difficult it is to hit a 95 mph pitch, let alone put it where you want it to go. People who say, "If you don't like the shift, hit it to the other side..." are idiots and have never played competitive baseball. If that were even remotely doable on command the shift wouldn't have happened in the first place. Yes, some guys can hit to all fields. But take the best 10 hitters in the majors and tell them to hit 5 balls to center, 5 to RF, and 5 to LF on command without knowing what pitchers are coming and it's not going to happen. Because of that, what you're left with (if the shift is legal) is extremely boring baseball made up of strikeouts and homeruns/doubles. No one wants to watch that and it's bad for the game as a whole.

Sometimes sports need to adapt. Extra points were becoming sure things so the NFL moved it back to add a variable to the game. The NBA has moved the 3 point line back at different times to reduce percentages. The shift is just taking something that, like in other sports at times, has become lopsided and made it more exciting.

Second, if you're going to allow the shift, why even have positions? The spirit of the game when it was created and the rules developed was to have a first baseman, second baseman, shortstop (came a little later in the 1840's), and 3rd baseman in the infield, and then a left fielder, center fielder, and right fielder in the outfield in addition to the pitcher/catcher battery. If the shift is allowed there's no point to having positions and at that point we just call all 9 of them fielders.

Look at football. There are tons of rules specifying what areas of the field can make a lineman, receiver, QB, etc., and tons of rules to designate where/what they can do after the play starts. This is really no different.

There's a couple of ways we need to look at the shift rule. Just for clarity, I'm totally in favor of the rule.

The first is that the shift was such a huge advantage that it was really bad for the sport and the excitement of the game. I don't think a lot of people understand how impossibly difficult it is to hit a 95 mph pitch, let alone put it where you want it to go. People who say, "If you don't like the shift, hit it to the other side..." are idiots and have never played competitive baseball. If that were even remotely doable on command the shift wouldn't have happened in the first place. Yes, some guys can hit to all fields. But take the best 10 hitters in the majors and tell them to hit 5 balls to center, 5 to RF, and 5 to LF on command without knowing what pitchers are coming and it's not going to happen. Because of that, what you're left with (if the shift is legal) is extremely boring baseball made up of strikeouts and homeruns/doubles. No one wants to watch that and it's bad for the game as a whole.

Sometimes sports need to adapt. Extra points were becoming sure things so the NFL moved it back to add a variable to the game. The NBA has moved the 3 point line back at different times to reduce percentages. The shift is just taking something that, like in other sports at times, has become lopsided and made it more exciting.

Second, if you're going to allow the shift, why even have positions? The spirit of the game when it was created and the rules developed was to have a first baseman, second baseman, shortstop (came a little later in the 1840's), and 3rd baseman in the infield, and then a left fielder, center fielder, and right fielder in the outfield in addition to the pitcher/catcher battery. If the shift is allowed there's no point to having positions and at that point we just call all 9 of them fielders.

Look at football. There are tons of rules specifying what areas of the field can make a lineman, receiver, QB, etc., and tons of rules to designate where/what they can do after the play starts. This is really no different.
All valid points and by no means was I saying that batters hitting it to the side was the way around it. But as you pointed out it does create boring baseball. That said so do intentional walks to set up favorable matchups or take the bat out of a game changers hands in a clutch situation. I realize they're on two different levels, but I just don't see how you can mandate one and not the other even though a pitcher could just as easily walk a batter by throwing outside the zone to get the same results.

I disagree with the adaptation of rules however simply because they've become lopsided. Case in point as you mentioned moving the 3 point line back. While I have no issue with where it is now I think a professional sporting league is walking a fine line when they start modifying rules because players have become to proficient at something. What's next raising the hoop to 13 feet because players are dunking too much? Obviously being sarcastic, but you see my point.

I guess I always just thought of baseball as a simple sport filled with complex situations/strategy and decisions. So never really put much thought into why the positions are defined and/or what areas of the field these players are/aren't entitled to. TBH I never realized there were parameters defining where players can line up or defining their positions. I always just assumed it was what it was which was why I never really thought much about how the shifts affected the game and simply just thought of them as any other part of the game.

I conflicted on it. I like the idea of saving bullpens and of batters encouraged to do something other than swing for the fences to win extra inning games, but I think it takes the built in advantage the home team has and exacerbates them.

I can accept the counterarguments however. Such as every visiting team will eventually be the home team in a similar situation, or if you don't like it score when you get the chance, or win in nine innings. I get all that.

Not a fan of the Astros and all their transgressions, but happy for Dusty Baker. He is too good a manager to not have a ring (as a manager)

I have a respect for baseball lifers and Baker certainly qualifies. He has been in professional baseball for closing in on sixty years.

For the record I do believe the best hitters and bat control guys can hit away from a shift. They did it for generations. So count me in as one as one if those idiots.

When launch angle became all the rave and everyone tried to elevate the ball, defenses simply moved to where they knew the ball would be hit if it wasn't elevated.

I like the shift in terms of any hitter who's dumb enough to keep hitting into it deserves to keep making hard outs. If they would use all fields for a series teams would stop shifting in a hurry.

If you want to argue that pitching has never been tougher that's another story. But the pendulum of baseball always swings back and forth. Pitching dominated in the 1960's because A) the mound was higher, B) hitting backgrounds and shadows were terrible in outdated stadiums. Once they lowered the mound, roped off fans from sitting in hitting backgrounds, and built cookie cutter stadiums with fewer shadows, competitive balance swung back to neutral. All that said, pitching is still tougher today than it was then because more of them throw hard and Tommy John surgery has become so common and relatively quick to recover from that they aren't afraid to blow out their elbows on the slider. So it is a fair argument.

If you want to argue that high school pitching us ahead of high school hitting, you have a legit point. But my point is that the best of the best, i.e elite major league hitters, can handle a bat like a magician.

Like elite golfers, elite major league hitters have depth perception and hand eye coordination that perhaps .0001% of the rest of us have. They can do amazing things even with the best pitching.

Last edited:

Latest posts