Mizzou Willing to Listen to Big Ten Expansion Talks

Jon, listened to you and Steve this AM. I thought of one more ISU impact if Nebraska opted to the B10. In addition to making it harder to get on TV for ISU, most likely ISU loses the first or second highest ticket revenue gate, that being the Nebraska game.

I also think the B10 under expansion plays 9 conference games rather than 8, five division and four out of division, rotating two out of division teams off every two years. This leave only three non-conference games. The days of completing non-conference games before the conference games begins may be necessary. Iowa may not be able to play ISU every year after expansion. The third game of the season may be a conference opponent.

Meh...I suppose Missouri would be ok as a 3rd or 4th choice. In my mind, it should be Notre Dame or nothing. That is the only school that really fits and makes sense.

Meh...I suppose Missouri would be ok as a 3rd or 4th choice. In my mind, it should be Notre Dame or nothing. That is the only school that really fits and makes sense.

I am actually more along this mindset. If we don't get ND I am not remotely excited about the alternatives and would be fine standing pat at 11.

I realize Missouri is a natural fit for obvious reasons, but at the end of the day...it's Missouri, does that really bolster our brand? I don't think so. I'd be more inclined to try and get Nebraska even if the market isn't maybe as appealing as Missouri.

And let's drop the "what should our name be" threads. It should be, and will be, The Big Ten.

If this were the "old days", it could be called the "Big Two and Little Ten".

Heh, yeah...I suppose. Frankly, we (Michigan) are in a tough spot right now, but I like the B10 having more parity than less.

I would think the B12 would go after Arkansas over TCU first if Missouri left. I'm sure adding a small, private college would not be as appealing as adding a state university. Also, I wonder if the B10 did go to 12 teams would the Pac 10 follow suit. Maybe Utah and BYU?

Missouri does not excite me, but they would be acceptable I guess ... of course, if that is the criteria, then why not add 5 or 7 teams and create a megaconference?

If ND says no, then sign up 7 of Iowa State, Nebraska, Missouri, Louisville, Cincinnati, West Virginia, Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Rutgers and make an 18-school monster than can dictate terms to the rest of the country ... heck, why not go for 20? ... and once you get beyond 20, who really needs the NCAA any more?

I would think the B12 would go after Arkansas over TCU first if Missouri left. I'm sure adding a small, private college would not be as appealing as adding a state university. Also, I wonder if the B10 did go to 12 teams would the Pac 10 follow suit. Maybe Utah and BYU?

Agreed ... although I think what really happens is they get Arkansas & TCU, and dump ISU

Big XII N = Colorado, Kansas, Kansas St, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Oklahoma St
Big XII S = Arkansas, Baylor, Texas, Texas A&M, Texas Christian, Texas Tech

No way ISU gets an invite. It's a small uni, in a sparsely populated state that already has a school in the conference. Academics would also keep it out. I like Rutgers, ND, or Cincy, which is rated higher for both academics & research than most people think.

I never considered ISU small with poor academics. I was always under the impression they had strong Ag and Engineering programs?

Latest posts