Mizzou Willing to Listen to Big Ten Expansion Talks

I like it. The Big 12 needs to realize the north teams are tired of getting the shaft as far as tv appearances etc.

If Missouri joined the Big Ten, the negative ramifications to Iowa State would be considerable...

Tune in tomorrow morning to Miller & Deace to learn more ;-)

I wonder how this might impact our recruiting in St Louis. I'd just as soon see them stay in the Big Twelve. Besides, who would they play if they suddenly decided they didn't want to honor their schedule with other Big Ten teams?

Despite Missouri's willingness to listen to talks of Big Ten expansion talks, they do not fit the mold of a Big 10 school in one very important respect, academics. Missouri is ranked No. 102 in the latest US News and World Report rankings. The lowest Big 10 school is Michigan State at 71.

Forgive me for being crass, but Missouri does not fit the academic mold of a Big 10 university.

I will say it now and I will say it again, Notre Dame or bust. If Notre Dame is still uninterested, I think that no other team will be invited.

Go Hawks!

The NCAA is not about academics. Missouri's academic ranking won't matter.

I wonder how this might impact our recruiting in St Louis. I'd just as soon see them stay in the Big Twelve. Besides, who would they play if they suddenly decided they didn't want to honor their schedule with other Big Ten teams?
LOLOLOL

I wondered about St. Louis recruiting, too.

If Missouri joined the Big Ten, the negative ramifications to Iowa State would be considerable...

Tune in tomorrow morning to Miller & Deace to learn more ;-)

I would like to see the Big Ten stay a Midwestern conference. Notre Dame or Mizzou would be great additions. With Mizzou, St. Louis might eventually get to host the Big Ten Football Championship game.

My first choice would be Notre Dame. Missouri would be #2 for me because of proximity and the St. Louis and KC markets. Rutgers and Syracuse leave me a bit cold. Pitt would leave PSU a bit cold methinks.

I know Syracuse, ND, Mizzou, and Rutgers have all been thrown into the pot for consideration due to their proximity to the current BIG 10 schools. Why not throw in little brother Iowa State? As far as Basketball they would add a great deal. BIG 10 would be even more dominating in Wrestling. and football??? I guess one extra close away game.

Mizzou just does not work for me. Southern state,really. Big Ten is above the Mason-Dixon. ND is #1 choice,then maybe Rutgers or possibly Syracuse. If we are going south,go for the big bonanza ...Texas Longhorns.

All good comments for why or why not. I ptoo like the thought of expansion if, and only if it is a team that adds positively to THE BIG TEN. Right now, I'd say only ND truly fits that mold. No way to ISU. Nebraska to far West, no new tv mkt. Rutgers too far East. Mizzou brings a tv mkt and a new state, and it would be another close away game that we could bring a lot of Hawk fans too for all sporting events. But I'm not sold on that idea. I think you make ND want it and beg for it.

No way ISU gets an invite. It's a small uni, in a sparsely populated state that already has a school in the conference. Academics would also keep it out. I like Rutgers, ND, or Cincy, which is rated higher for both academics & research than most people think.

Does it just have to be 1 team? I mean I know you want an even number of teams for separate divisions but do you think they would consider multiple teams?

I like the idea of beating Mizzou on a yearly basis. The addition of the wrestling program would make that Big 10 wrestling conference even stronger than it already is!

I know Syracuse, ND, Mizzou, and Rutgers have all been thrown into the pot for consideration due to their proximity to the current BIG 10 schools. Why not throw in little brother Iowa State? As far as Basketball they would add a great deal. BIG 10 would be even more dominating in Wrestling. and football??? I guess one extra close away game.

I agree that Iowa State would be a good addition (that was painful to say). However it will never happen. The whole reason for expansion is for the Big 10 to add more television sets and open up new markets for recruiting. The Big 10 doesn't get that by adding the clowns. It actually gets nothing by adding them. Besides it would be a huge win for ISU and who really wants to see that?

If the Big 10 expands, Mizzou is pretty much the one and only option, outside of Rutgers. Mizzou fits the mold perfectly; they are a large research institution with a strong graduate program and is in a new market.

Latest posts