MIZZOU all but gone from Big XII

But what is the incentive to bring MO to the league? So the conference per-school distributions remain the same, while we play the other schools in the league less often? They would combine with NE to be the worst two academic schools. Iowa has enough rivals.

There isn't an incentive to add MO.

But what is the incentive to bring MO to the league? So the conference per-school distributions remain the same, while we play the other schools in the league less often? They would combine with NE to be the worst two academic schools. Iowa has enough rivals.

There isn't an incentive to add MO.

I get that, and honestly I would rather just see Mizzou remain in the B12 and the Big Ten stay at 12 teams. But Missouri going to the SEC, IMO, hurts both conferences. Again you got the SEC penetrating Midwest markets for TV and recruiting.

We've been over this a number of times. Missouri brings the Kansas City market & St Louis market to the BTN. Iowa would not get any less money from TV revenues with Missouri in the conference. Missouri is a solid academic, an AAU member, and is solid athletically. Iowa would then have the luxury of rivals in each direction of our borders.

What else do you got?

What else do you got? Assuming your made-up TV numbers work out to be correct, who else does the conference add to get to 14 that doesn't cost other schools money?

Also, ichawk24 makes the most important point in all this. Expansion sucks for reasons other than money. And, Missouri sucks in general.

What else do you got? Assuming your made-up TV numbers work out to be correct, who else does the conference add to get to 14 that doesn't cost other schools money?

Also, ichawk24 makes the most important point in all this. Expansion sucks for reasons other than money. And, Missouri sucks in general.

If it isn't ND then you raid the Big East and get UConn or Rutgers. Sure it may not be the "sexy" pick, but they both bring the NYC market. Now getting the BTN moved from a sports tier to basic cable in that market might be another thing.

Look at it this way. MO would be a terrible academic add to the B1G, but would be above average in the SEC.

UConn and Rutgers? 10 years ago UConn wasn't Division I, and Rutgers has been terrible for 150 years. If those schools forced BTN onto basic in NYC (ha!), they'd already be in the league.

The farkin New York Yankees had trouble getting YES on NYC cable, but Rutgers and UConn will work? Please.

UConn and Rutgers? 10 years ago UConn wasn't Division I, and Rutgers has been terrible for 150 years. If those schools forced BTN onto basic in NYC (ha!), they'd already be in the league.

The farkin New York Yankees had trouble getting YES on NYC cable, but Rutgers and UConn will work? Please.

Did I say they would get it on basic cable? Please.

But you're right, this is probably the first time in the last couple of years that Rutgers has been mentioned as a possibility. :rolleyes:

This.

They are not made up TV numbers, check out this website:

http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2008/09/10/nielsen-local-television-market-universe-estimates/5037/

St Louis has the 21st largest TV market and Kansas City is 31st, put the 2 together and they would be in the top 10. Add in the Springfield market (74th) and they would be top 5. It is safe to say they could pay for themselves.

As far as the 14th team is concerned you look out east. But I don't think the Big Ten has to be in any hurry to add a 14th team.

I am kinda with you here but I still do not want the SEC in the midwest.

Missouri vs Iowa in any of the sports would be fun.

MO can pay for themselves. But they don't raise the conference distributions. This isn't a welfare expansion, there needs to be an incentive for the B1G. There is none.

What people are missing with respect to the financial incentive issue is what will happen by going to four divisions and adding more playoff games. Right now there are 5 BCS games of which only 2 schools from any one conference can play in.

Go to a 16 team (4 divisions in 4 conferences) playoff system and the revenue jumps radically. This is one reason why conferences like the SEC are pushing this format. It will make the four superconferences massive amounts of money.

Basically, you have to think about this from the mindset of tomorrow's football landscape, not today's football landscape.

MO can pay for themselves. But they don't raise the conference distributions. This isn't a welfare expansion, there needs to be an incentive for the B1G. There is none.

True but it keeps the SEC out of your backyard, the midwest. Again, I would much rather see Missouri stay in the B12 but if they are going to make a move then the Big Ten would be much better off bringing them here rather than letting them join the SEC. It is all about TV footprint and Missouri going to the SEC hurts the Big Ten.

Also consider this, if there is any truth to the inevitable Big 4 super conferences then Missouri is much more appealing then what is left of the Big East or the former B12 north.

No way the Big Ten sits at 13 after taking in Missery. Fortunately, they won't take them, so we don't have to worry about who'llbe the 14th mouth leeching from the conference.

What people are missing with respect to the financial incentive issue is what will happen by going to four divisions and adding more playoff games. Right now there are 5 BCS games of which only 2 schools from any one conference can play in.

Go to a 16 team (4 divisions in 4 conferences) playoff system and the revenue jumps radically. This is one reason why conferences like the SEC are pushing this format. It will make the four superconferences massive amounts of money.

Basically, you have to think about this from the mindset of tomorrow's football landscape, not today's football landscape.

We'll let the other conferences go to 16 teams and B10 sit at 12. Then we'll reap the rewards of any such playoff system while not having to split 16 ways.

Its all circular logic anyways. Why are teams going to 16? Because 16 is the future. Why is 16 the future? Because teams are going to 16.

Good luck finding an incentive for the supposed four major conferences to add the last undesirable teams to get to 64 in the supposed 4x16.

4x16 is very unlikely to happen.

No way the Big Ten sits at 13 after taking in Missery. Fortunately, they won't take them, so we don't have to worry about who'llbe the 14th mouth leeching from the conference.

I doubt the Big Ten would add a "leeching" 14th team. While they would not sit on 13 forever I doubt they would be in any hurry to get a 14th team.

With 11, they only had the odd number of teams issue. With two divisions, 13 is a bigger difficulty. The division with a greater number of teams will either have to play more conference games than the other division, or they'll have to play teams within their division more than once in a single season.

Scheduling with 13 is UGLY, which is why I think the SEC will expand to 14 before 2012 season.

Why not? They were at 11 for many years before adding a 12th.

Because you won't be at 13 teams for many years before adding a 14th.

Which means making up new schedules again after 13, and then again after 14.

If the Big Ten goes to 14, they will do it just like the Pac-10 in going to 12, ACC in going to 14, and SEC in going to 14 - by adding 2 at a time.

Latest posts