Mixed feelings

westview

A short time ago I thought Lick should get another year, now I am not so sure. If he does not win another game, he probably has to go. If he has more players leave I think he needs to go. On the other hand if he stays and no players leave I think when he has a team of Jrs. and Srs. they will be good. I do not think you can run a system type game with new players every year. Also can we afford to have a half empty arena every game. I know many posters think if LIck goes we will get a big name coach. More than likely it would be another coach from a mid major school. I know MN got Tubby, but how often does something like that happen? I glad I do not have to make this call.

I'm in the same boat as you are. Earlier in the year, I was thinking that another year should be given for sure, but the further we get into this season, the less certain I am about that. There is still quite a bit of season to go, but so far in conference play, I am seeing a team that is not being competetive at all. If we don't improve and start challenging teams, and/or we lose another batch of players to transfer, then I believe I too will be in favor of flipping the life-support switch to "off" at season's end.

I agree that it seems unlikely that we can get a big name coach under the circumstances. I am not sure how much Barta is allowed to do as far as talking to other coaches behind the scenes to gauge interest. Are there rules about this? What I'm getting at is that I don't think he should let Lickliter go unless he is sure that he can hire a suitable replacement, otherwise I'm afraid we'll end up up a creek without a paddle, and have to settle for somebody. What's the use of buying out the contract if we will be in the same situation 3 years from now once again?

"Earlier in the year, I was thinking that another year should be given for sure, but the further we get into this season, the less certain I am about that."

What's changed since "earlier in the year?" I don't think anyone thought Iowa was going to compete in the Big 10 (Spank excluded) so I don't understand what is different. I agree with both of you in regards to transfers. If we lose more players, then all bets are off. If we don't, I guess I don't care if we win 4 games in conference, or 1 game in conference.....it's bad either way. Next year is the make or break year for me.

"I do not think you can run a system type game with new players every year."

You do realize that every coach in the country has a "system." Lickliter has failed on every level at Iowa. He did not bring excitement to sell tickets, he has not built relationships with his players and he did not hire assistant coaches that could recruit at the Big Ten level. The sooner Barta convinces Lickliter to "resign" the better.

Here's a link that Coach Lickliter should take a look at;
How to Resign Gracefully - wikiHow

"Earlier in the year, I was thinking that another year should be given for sure, but the further we get into this season, the less certain I am about that."

What's changed since "earlier in the year?" I don't think anyone thought Iowa was going to compete in the Big 10 (Spank excluded) so I don't understand what is different. I agree with both of you in regards to transfers. If we lose more players, then all bets are off. If we don't, I guess I don't care if we win 4 games in conference, or 1 game in conference.....it's bad either way. Next year is the make or break year for me.

What's changed since earlier in the year? Absolutely nothing. And that's the problem. We were playing poorly in November, and two months later, we are still playing poorly.

I need to see some signs of improvement. The team needs to be competetive and challenge teams this year, even if it is in defeat. Getting blown out every game isn't going to cut it.

What's changed is that football is over and the train wreck that is Iowa Basketball will get more attention. It's going to be a rough couple of months for Coach Lick and the program.

According to post-game radio show, statistically this year's team is better in all areas aside from turnovers. Unfortunately, I am not sure if that is true or not but if it is, then perhaps the strength of schedule has something to do with our early struggles and this next week helps to get them back on the winning track.

As I have said numerous times, I actually think Lick should get two more years. The only thing that would change my mind would be transfers this offseason. And I am not talking Brommer, Archie or even Tucker, as I am sure we can all see and agree if one of them left. But anybody else would be a red flag for me and should be for Barta as well! As for the play on the court, I understood it would be ugly this year, so I am trying to take it in stride!

According to post-game radio show, statistically this year's team is better in all areas aside from turnovers. Unfortunately, I am not sure if that is true or not but if it is, then perhaps the strength of schedule has something to do with our early struggles and this next week helps to get them back on the winning track.
Those were offensive categories. I'm betting we're worse in almost every defensive category this year.

As stated earlier in this thread, few people seriously thought Iowa was going to compete in the Big Ten this season. Prior to the season, I believed that Iowa was going to be better this year even though that wouldn't be evident from their record; the statistics seem to back up me up. A lot of fans, myself included, thought Iowa had finally turned the corner against Purdue, and after that game, we had a short hiatus from the negative threads. I see it as a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process. Did anyone really think Iowa was going to push MSU to the wire? Illinois at home has always been a tough game for Iowa, and in beating OSU, Minnesota proved that they're nobody's pushover. And losing Tucker hasn't helped the situation. No one, Barta, coaches, and players included, is happy with how this season is going and you can accuse me of drinking koolaid, but their play has improved.

As stated earlier in this thread, few people seriously thought Iowa was going to compete in the Big Ten this season. Prior to the season, I believed that Iowa was going to be better this year even though that wouldn't be evident from their record; the statistics seem to back up me up. A lot of fans, myself included, thought Iowa had finally turned the corner against Purdue, and after that game, we had a short hiatus from the negative threads. I see it as a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process. Did anyone really think Iowa was going to push MSU to the wire? Illinois at home has always been a tough game for Iowa, and in beating OSU, Minnesota proved that they're nobody's pushover. And losing Tucker hasn't helped the situation. No one, Barta, coaches, and players included, is happy with how this season is going and you can accuse me of drinking koolaid, but their play has improved.

The team is playing better than a year ago? Really? I watch the games, and I see a team getting blown out pretty much every conference game. Defensively, we are worse this year. We played MSU closer last year in both games (including in Breslin) than we did yesterday. We beat MSU in Carver two years ago, a year in which we went 13-19.

We played Illinois closer in Champaign last year than we did this year. It was a single digit loss there a year ago.

We played Minnesota down to the wire last year in Carver in a game where we lost Cy Tate to injury, and were destroyed by them this year.

Come on guys. It's not about wins and losses. That's not what Iowa basketball is about. It's about us fans paying $25.00 a ticket to support the team and Coach Lickliter. Coach is teaching these kids what it takes to survive in the real world. It's not like Iowa has ever been any good at basketball and they really don't pay Coach Lickliter or his assistants that much money. This is it! Go Hawks!

Just my opinion, as is virtually everything else posted in forums. And yes, I stand by my opinion that Iowa is playing better this year, but I'll qualify that by adding "as a team." Unfortunately for us, so is everyone else in the Big Ten.

Iowa BB hit the low in April of 2009. We entered the season with about 50% of a team and what we have is young. We just finished playing four of the top five teams in the Big Ten (all could be ranked in the Top 20) and they are all more experienced, more talented and deeper than Iowa. The Iowa team is working hard, learning and trying to develop confidence in what each other will do and how they will react to a variety of tough competitive situations. They will be better because of this painful experience, there is no doubt. TL has to continue to look for positives and there are things to see that give hope for the future. A strong start against MSU was one. Unfortunately, when MSU (which has a smart coach as well) decided to take all of his big bodies into the paint against our one big body it was almost impossible to offset. The only way to do it is to remain steadfast in defense technique and the youth on the team has not caught on to this yet. They will. They are trying hard.

The next two months will continue to be challenging. However, this team needs to experience it to get better and TL needs to coach and educate at the same time. It takes patience which is not easy when everyone involved is used to winning.

Fortunately we have the NFL, the Winter Olympics, Iowa Wrestling and then we will be at the baseball season and Iowa Spring FB.

Next year it will be easier (or more legitimate) to be critical of TL's coaching skills when he will have a similar arsenal as the teams he plays. They will still be young, but we should have more inside meat, better understanding of each other's talents, experience gained through pain and a hunger and pride to disprove all the critics. These are proud players and coaches.

We need time, experience and more help (which is coming). I remember when TD was asked how he could make BJ Armstrong a better player and he said the best way was to have another player he could put into the game when BJ wasn't working hard enough or following his instruction. Then BJ would have more personal motiviation to change the situation. Fortunately, we had Moe, Gamble, Jones and Reeves to "push" BJ and this helped BJ do whatever it took to get better. TL needs more talent to push the good players he has now.

This situation of the fans having greater expectations than is reasonable is very typical. The fans at UNC were hanging Dean Smith in effigy and wanted him fired early in his tenure. UNC would never have had the success they have enjoyed if the administration listened to the impatient critics. Coach Izzo was under extreme pressure after his second year at MSU and he inherited a program with his own players having been an assistant under Coach Heathcote.

At the risk of people telling me that it is not comparable, KF was 2-18 until he won in OT at Penn State. He was unbelievable in his faith in his system and his players and they finally turned it. When they did, the program was established. TL can do the same thing with basketball. The mistake that was made was trying to build and win too fast and that was abandoned at the end of last year when building a program based on a stable foundation was started (something we were blessed with under TD, but many weren't satisfied with) and it will take time, patience and the ability to accept a lot of mistakes.

We are not building with mercenary talents, but with solid, smart athletes that have obviously helped to attract more of the same as we have a good class coming in next year. We are moving in the right direction.

Iowa BB hit the low in April of 2009. We entered the season with about 50% of a team and what we have is young. We just finished playing four of the top five teams in the Big Ten (all could be ranked in the Top 20) and they are all more experienced, more talented and deeper than Iowa. The Iowa team is working hard, learning and trying to develop confidence in what each other will do and how they will react to a variety of tough competitive situations. They will be better because of this painful experience, there is no doubt. TL has to continue to look for positives and there are things to see that give hope for the future. A strong start against MSU was one. Unfortunately, when MSU (which has a smart coach as well) decided to take all of his big bodies into the paint against our one big body it was almost impossible to offset. The only way to do it is to remain steadfast in defense technique and the youth on the team has not caught on to this yet. They will. They are trying hard.

The next two months will continue to be challenging. However, this team needs to experience it to get better and TL needs to coach and educate at the same time. It takes patience which is not easy when everyone involved is used to winning.

Fortunately we have the NFL, the Winter Olympics, Iowa Wrestling and then we will be at the baseball season and Iowa Spring FB.

Next year it will be easier (or more legitimate) to be critical of TL's coaching skills when he will have a similar arsenal as the teams he plays. They will still be young, but we should have more inside meat, better understanding of each other's talents, experience gained through pain and a hunger and pride to disprove all the critics. These are proud players and coaches.

We need time, experience and more help (which is coming). I remember when TD was asked how he could make BJ Armstrong a better player and he said the best way was to have another player he could put into the game when BJ wasn't working hard enough or following his instruction. Then BJ would have more personal motiviation to change the situation. Fortunately, we had Moe, Gamble, Jones and Reeves to "push" BJ and this helped BJ do whatever it took to get better. TL needs more talent to push the good players he has now.

This situation of the fans having greater expectations than is reasonable is very typical. The fans at UNC were hanging Dean Smith in effigy and wanted him fired early in his tenure. UNC would never have had the success they have enjoyed if the administration listened to the impatient critics. Coach Izzo was under extreme pressure after his second year at MSU and he inherited a program with his own players having been an assistant under Coach Heathcote.

At the risk of people telling me that it is not comparable, KF was 2-18 until he won in OT at Penn State. He was unbelievable in his faith in his system and his players and they finally turned it. When they did, the program was established. TL can do the same thing with basketball. The mistake that was made was trying to build and win too fast and that was abandoned at the end of last year when building a program based on a stable foundation was started (something we were blessed with under TD, but many weren't satisfied with) and it will take time, patience and the ability to accept a lot of mistakes.

We are not building with mercenary talents, but with solid, smart athletes that have obviously helped to attract more of the same as we have a good class coming in next year. We are moving in the right direction.

Excellent first post! I completely agree! Now get ready to be blasted!!!

The team is playing better than a year ago? Really? I watch the games, and I see a team getting blown out pretty much every conference game. Defensively, we are worse this year. We played MSU closer last year in both games (including in Breslin) than we did yesterday. We beat MSU in Carver two years ago, a year in which we went 13-19.

We played Illinois closer in Champaign last year than we did this year. It was a single digit loss there a year ago.

We played Minnesota down to the wire last year in Carver in a game where we lost Cy Tate to injury, and were destroyed by them this year.

We can't really judge this years team with last years team by record, margin, or really any statistical category. We lost 5 players last year (4 to transfer, 2 to graduation). From Lick's first year the only guy still on the team is Cole. Iowa lost 49% of the total minutes played, 57% of the scoring, and 46 % of the rebounding. I know it sounds like a broken record but the team is young, and actually younger than it was last year. Now if you want to be angry over the transfers, the system and/or the recruiting be my guest.

The mistake that was made was trying to build and win too fast and that was abandoned at the end of last year when building a program based on a stable foundation was started (something we were blessed with under TD, but many weren't satisfied with) and it will take time, patience and the ability to accept a lot of mistakes.

You are nuts. How was this staff trying to win too fast???? Seriously. I also think there are racist undertones in your post. You have officially flown the cuckoo's nest.