Mitch McGary

Well that is pretty much 100% wrong. By that logic any player that commits is a gain, so if you never recruited anyone you would have no gains, no loses and be neutral, but after doing that for long you wouldn't have a team. To say we didn't get Atwood is a setback to me is silly. It would be nice to have him but it's not setting this team back to Lickliter days, and it doesn't mean Fran can't recruit. Atwood just preferred ASU.

You've never seen a head coach in his office after a priority recruit goes elsewhere, have you?

For a coaching staff, getting a desired player to commit is a gain -- the player may not pan out, which is a different issue, but if you target a guy and you get a guy, you're happy about that (I've been around two D1 athletic programs, and every time a priority recruit was signed, it was seen as a gain; every time they missed out on someone they wanted or needed, there were negative rumblings -- and this was in non-revenue sports, not basketball and football where the egos and the stakes are greater). Conversely, when you lose a guy you needed/wanted, that's a loss. If there is a pattern with one staff member, s/he gets the message.

I never argued it was a regression to Lick or that Fran can't recruit. They lost a guy that filled an immediate need, and that they were all in on. When that happens, that's a recruiting loss.

"It's just with the NCAA and their strict rules, they don't show any mercy," McGary said. "They take their things seriously."...........

No $hit Sherlock.........

Wow, well, I think his NBA dreams will "go up in smoke" as well..... These kids nowadays, boggles the mind sometimes.....What about NBA coaches and management? Aren't they going to question his "one night" of saying to "YES" to drugs? To me, this is BS...that he can just declare...I'm kind of hoping he doesn't get drafted....

So you are in favor of prohibition, correct? Because as drugs go, alcohol is much, much harder drug that causes permanent organ failure, permanent brain damage as well as dependence (addiction).

Maybe I don't pay attention close enough, but have any other high profile players been busted for pot and had to sit a year? Seems like it would be more common

If you get caught by a team test, it's up to the team to decide the punishment. But if it's an NCAA test, it's an automatic year suspension.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

If you get caught by a team test, it's up to the team to decide the punishment. But if it's an NCAA test, it's an automatic year suspension.

Doesn't make any sense whatsoever...

Thanks, so I assume the NCAA must only do testing during their tourney otherwise there'd seem to be more violators....

Seriously??? Testing positive to marijuana is a year long suspension?

way way way too harsh.

This. Just curious if anybody else sees this as the same. That said, has he tested positive before, because that could change things. Another question...him dressing for the game, did that make him eligible for the test or would they have tested him as part of the team regardless?

If the answer to the second question is yes, I guess you can't account for not being smart.

This. Just curious if anybody else sees this as the same. That said, has he tested positive before, because that could change things. Another question...him dressing for the game, did that make him eligible for the test or would they have tested him as part of the team regardless?

If the answer to the second question is yes, I guess you can't account for not being smart.
The penalty for a positive NCAA test was reduced to 1/2 year a week after he tested positive. They appealed but the new rule doesn't go into effect until August 1 so he was denied. As for him getting tested, anyone on the roster, active or not can be tested during tournament time.

Latest posts