Minnesota Game

This is exactly right. Here's one from Sunday. Down 20-16 in the 4th quarter the Browns throw an 82 yard TD pass to take the lead. It got called back for holding on #63 on the right side of the screen. They ended up losing 20-16. Un-dirty word-believable.

To me, there should also be a question of whether it had any impact on the play. Sometimes the foul is so far away from the play and would not change the outcome that a hands to the face penality that wipes out a big play is silly. I get that they are calling all this in real time and may not be able to predict what is connected to the actual play, but the flags are crazy in some games. Use some discretion. And, don't get me started on QB "blows to the head" penalities. They are wearing helmets for god sakes!!!

If you think about reffing in various sports, it seems like the more animated the reffing, the less popular the sport is. No ref has as much impact on the game and are more animated than an umpire in baseball. Tossing players for nothing, overly dramatic strike 3 calls, chin wags. They act like the crowd came to see them. Basketball is not far behind (its a sport for BB refs to see who can be the most dramatic calling a charge. Why?). Football refs are the least confrontational with players and coaches, and when they are not flag happy, the game is great to watch and the refs just blend in. We all come there to watch great athletes compete, not 65 year old dudes trying to make themselves part of the game.

Latest posts