Miller: Time for Iowa Fans to Circle the Wagons

I'm on board. Let's get some fans back in the seats. There are some decent players and decent recruits. Let's see what the new guy can do.

TL;DR: It's done. Quit complaining and give him a chance.

I will give the guy a chance but please stop serving the Kool-Aid up in 64 ounce big gulps. This reeks of what we've already tried the last 11 years. It's just a little hard to get excited. Hell even Forbes would have brought more splash???? Is there any way Forbes is asst. Head coach with this new staff????

Fran McCaffery needs your support…the Iowa Basketball program needs your support. A lot of people felt like it was time for the Todd Lickliter era to be over; Gary Barta stepped up and made a tough decision. It looks like he made another tough decision with this hire, taking the road less traveled and the road some fans are questioning. Barta is no fool; Athletics Directors seldom get a chance to hire a third basketball coach if their first two hires don’t work out. So Barta is all in with McCaffery.

I am hopeful that Iowa fans will be, too.

Amen, thanks Jon.

GlidingHawk

But the man from Philly who was once dubbed ‘White Magic’ during his playing days at Penn said ‘no thanks’ to those eastern jobs, because he wanted to see the Iowa opportunity to the end.

He did, and he got it.

To repeat; McCaffery wants to be at Iowa. Right about now, I don’t know how long that list is as it relates to accomplished basketball coaches. He turned down strong overtures from other schools because he wanted the Iowa job.

To me, this is the main reason to be excited, to start the healing, and circle the wagons :) . In all seriousness, I am excited that Barta got someone that wants to be here not just for $$$. Given that he wants to be here, I have to imagine that Fran knows what he is walking into and the work it will take to right the ship. But I think Jon is correct, I don't think the list of even near qualified applicants WANTED to be at Iowa. Even though I live in AZ, I plan on coming back for a few games this year (would have even if Lick was here). Let's do our part in helping Fran/Barta get this turned around and support the program in whatever capacity each can offer. I am excited to hear what Fran has to say at the press conf!

Ok the bigger question is will the in coming recruits circle the wagons and will the existing players buy in. If we have a mass exodus are we any further then we would have been with LIK, I will say at least we have a new direction with the program for what it's worth???

I wll give Fran my full backing. BJ would have sold out carver, I just think he is still that popular in IOWA.

This hire shows how far Iowa basketball has fallen. It is not a high profile job anymore, even though some of us were in denial about that.

As for Fran McCaffery, we'll have to hope for the best that it somehow works out. We'll see if he can put together a staff of at least some assistants with major conference recruiting experience - that's a big unknown.

The theme of this thread is great. I know I was pretty frustrated with the announcement and had the knee jerk reaction of disappointment but it is time to move forward and get behind the new regime. There is honestly nowhere to go but up and I am ready to let disappointment roll into excitement. I think we as fans need to do our part but I still thing some serious revamping of the arena seating needs to take place as well to liven up the place and create a real college atmosphere.

Jon that was an excellent article on Iowa's new coach Fran Mcaffery!! I have followed the Hawks for over 50 years & I hope McAffrey can make all of us fans proud of Iowa Basketball!! All of you fans who live in Iowa buy tickets & go out & support YOUR TEAM next year!!

You know what? I'm a bandwagon bball fan, but a true Hawkeye fan. I have been on these boards for over a few years now and tonight is THE very first time I've ever even linked into the bball forum. I have been a big bball fan in days gone by, but without the excitement of the Hawks after 2 or 3 games into the BT season and I'm off to better things. I like this McCaffery guy and I really think his style of play and Demeanor will help bring people like me back to the bball fold. I am certainly more excited about the hire than I was for TL. I wish him well, but like most, won't miss him. I look forward to visiting Carver again after many years (but still always missing the old Fieldhouse). GoHawks.

I just hope Coach McCaffrey can get some assistants on staff that can sell Iowa basketball and its coach as well as Jon has to this board. :)

I'm all in Jon, will be looking to go to a few games this year for the first time in years. Let's Go Hawks!!!!!!!!

Everytime they circled the wagons in one of those old Westerns, nothing good came out of it. Iowa has spent too much time circling wagons with the basketball program.

Come on, Iowa, get Patton-esque and start a full, frontal, take no prisoners assault. Find and pay decent assistant coaches, who know how to recruit. Revamp the CHA atmosphere. Change the uniforms. Do whatever else is necessary. I wasn't blown away by the hire, but I'm ready to jump on board. Is Iowa prepared to really commit? Dribs and drabs of change, amounting to putting lipstick on a pig, won't cut it. They need to be epic.

Last edited:

Latest posts