Miller: Iowa Regents Throw Tantrum Over Ferentz

There is such a thing as overpaying, you know this right? Or you can put incentives in a contract, which has been done a lot for coaches in the past. Make him the highest paid coach in the land if he wins a BCS title. Didn't Urban Meyer have that in his. My only point is he is the highest paid coach in the Big Ten now. When is the last time he beat Jim Tressel at OSU? He should have some titles to show for this, but he doesn't.

A good coach, but remember Fry was going to Rose Bowls, so he was winning the conference.

Why don't you just come out and say you envy the money Ferentz is making instead of attacking him as a coach???

Can you tell me how many conference titles Fry won in his first 11 years at Iowa? I can.....it was 2, the same amount as Ferentz has won in his first 11 years.

Can you tell me how many BCS bowls Fry went to his first 11 years? I can....it was 2, the same number as Ferentz has in his first 11 years.

Can you tell me how many BCS bowl games Fry won in those first 11 year? I can.....it was 0 and Ferentz has won 1.

Can you tell me how many wins Fry had in those 1st 11 year? I can.....it was 82 and Ferentz has won 81.

So explain to me again how much better of a coach Fry was???

Welcome to the wonderful world of Academia hawkeyenation. Logic and reasoning, while taught at our state institutions, is not often used by the leaders of said institutions. Academia does not deal in real life situations. As Dan Akroyd's character in Ghostbusters said: "Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."

These people just don't get it. Sad thing is, the same type of people that sit on the Board of Regents also run this country.

Kirk is worth every penny he earns and more. Try to imagine Iowa City with a losing football team. Not pretty is it?

I'm sorry, but I've about had it up to here with Michael Gartner and his freaking grandstanding over how the University of Iowa Athletic Department conducts it's business. The guy is an outright horse's a$$.

This is a guy who has only run organizations that were either heavily subsidized or lost tons of money. He wouldn't know the first thing about running a highly profitable, successful organization....free and clear of any taxpayer funds.

Here we have an organization (the Iowa Athletic Department) that not only makes over $100 million/year for Johnson County, but makes enough revenue on it's own merits to pay for it's entire existence. Not only that, but because of the tremendous success of the football program, all of the crappy Title IX programs that no one bothers to see are able to be offered. It isn't like if we all of a sudden cut Ferentz's pay down to $100,000 that the Writer's Workshop is all of a sudden going to see a windfall of over $3 million, or the Glee Club get a windfall of over $3 million. All of that stays right in the athletic department.

If he's looking at an egregious use of athletic department funds, why doesn't he start looking at the women's field hockey team that doesn't have a single in-state player on it's roster, meaning that all those full-ride scholarships that are offered are being offered at the out-of-state rate.

As far as I'm concerned, Gartner and his crony Ruth Harkin can both take a flying leap. If there's one thing we've learned in this country, it's that in bad times, whether we're talking a recession, a war, a terrorist attack, etc.....this country turns to sports for a diversion. So in a time of economic hardship, when a great number of Iowans look to Kinnick on Saturday afternoon to give them just a few hours of joy, Michael Gartner and Ruth Harkin want to give us a kick in our collective junk.

In the immortal words of Sgt Murtaugh...."GO SPIT!!"

Amen brother.

I think there are always going to be knee jerk reactions. Is this a move that is good for the football program? You bet. Trying to lock him up for the next decade is a great idea for Iowa. At this point, I think the only person going to steal him away is Jerry Jones(that guy will do what it takes). But don't think the Iowa Athletic Department is full of saints. They can spend the money the way they see fit, on themselves. Other Universities, like Texas, have given some money back to the university. They are all NPOs so they don't keep it, but putting money back in to education can also be good for a school. Was anyone after Ferentz with his current salary? Or did the Hawks overpay on this one?

brett - which coaching staff is overpaid - Clowny staff or Iowa staff??

please factor in revenues, wins, state funding, brand equity gains, and any other pertinent criteria you'd use to make this judgment.

Deeper cuts would have forced UNI to eliminate enough of its 17 athletic programs that it would lose its Division I status, Allen said.

Trimming general fund support by much more than $250,000 would force UNI to seriously consider eliminating all sports because of lost revenue related to the loss of Division I status, Allen told The Des Moines Register last week.

Regent Michael Gartner said he supported the funding reduction because a university the size of UNI should consider athletics like other student activities, such as choir or the student newspaper.

UNI's plan includes raising up to $500,000 annually by playing a second Football Bowl Subdivision program in 2013.
------------register artical---------
The board is,has been completely out of touch for some time. Wasn't it last year due to dropping state revenue, they added 100.00 tuition to students, then in the same breath announced their trip to Disney land?

I'm glad we are not UNI, this could really hurt them across the board. While the plan to make up the extra 500k is to whore out the FB team.

This is the same board that last fall(?) recommended UNI drop it's football program.

His motives could be even more Obama-esque. Wealth re-distribution - revenue from Iowa sports is taken to support UNI and ISU sports. I bet they've talked about it, they just haven't figured out how to present it to the public without sounding - as in the words of Gartner - "goofy".

They have no business getting involved, none!!!!

Well...its kind of their business. They are the State Board of Regents. Don't get me wrong, I don't think they should have any say about how much we pay our football coach using non-state money. But, no one has a problem when we get permission from them to renovate Kinnick or CHA, and that is private donation/fundraising money. I think they just want to give the okay, they want to be in loop. Barta and Co. rarely "ask" for permission, they tell the Regents what they want to do, how much its gonna cost, where the money is coming from and Barta "gets" permission.

No matter where the money comes from, its still being spent by a state university on a state employee. Its not about what KF has done or will do, its just about letting everyone know the situation.

Last edited:
There is such a thing as overpaying, you know this right? Or you can put incentives in a contract, which has been done a lot for coaches in the past. Make him the highest paid coach in the land if he wins a BCS title. Didn't Urban Meyer have that in his. My only point is he is the highest paid coach in the Big Ten now. When is the last time he beat Jim Tressel at OSU? He should have some titles to show for this, but he doesn't.

A good coach, but remember Fry was going to Rose Bowls, so he was winning the conference.

KF has 2 titles,3 B10 COY, 2 or more national COY and his teams have finished in the AP top 10 4x. 2 BCS bowl invites, the only major BCS level bowl win since 59'.
The only Doak walker winner in Iowa history, etc.

In 20 years Fry beat OSU 3x, and 2 of those were with Cooper as their coach. in those 20 years OSU did not win or play for 1 national title. Fry's teams finished int eh AP top 10 2x? in 20 years under fry. In KF's 10 years we have beaten OSU 1x while OSU has won 1 national title and played for 3 of them.

Fry was well paid when you take in consideration of time,growth in CFB etc.

Is KF over paid? No

This Gartner needs to feel the heat from all of us. Email,write,call, or even visit the U of I and raise holy hell! This sort of low life BS has to be stopped!

Welcome to the wonderful world of Academia hawkeyenation. Logic and reasoning, while taught at our state institutions, is not often used by the leaders of said institutions. Academia does not deal in real life situations. As Dan Akroyd's character in Ghostbusters said: "Personally, I liked the university. They gave us money and facilities, we didn't have to produce anything! You've never been out of college! You don't know what it's like out there! I've worked in the private sector. They expect results."

These people just don't get it. Sad thing is, the same type of people that sit on the Board of Regents also run this country.

Kirk is worth every penny he earns and more. Try to imagine Iowa City with a losing football team. Not pretty is it?

This!^

Sadly, it's only funny because it's true.

Gartner was the sole reason that Iowa lost David Skorton. Now it seems he is hellbent on getting Ferentz out of here. I am surprised and shocked that he is actually still on the board.

He is also the idiot who screwed up the presidential search when Skorton left. Finally, he was the board president when the faculty made the unprecedented move of passing a vote of no confidence for the Board of Regents. How on earth is he still serving?

Between Harkin's and Grassley's thinly veiled threat to the Big Ten to start investigating the legitimacy of the athletic conference's tax free status and Mr. Gartner's too-tight panties, those who serve the public trust of Iowans are doing their damnedest to throw a wrench into the future of the University of Iowa's athletic success.

KF has 2 titles,3 B10 COY, 2 or more national COY and his teams have finished in the AP top 10 4x. 2 BCS bowl invites, the only major BCS level bowl win since 59'.
The only Doak walker winner in Iowa history, etc.

In 20 years Fry beat OSU 3x, and 2 of those were with Cooper as their coach. in those 20 years OSU did not win or play for 1 national title. Fry's teams finished int eh AP top 10 2x? in 20 years under fry. In KF's 10 years we have beaten OSU 1x while OSU has won 1 national title and played for 3 of them.

Fry was well paid when you take in consideration of time,growth in CFB etc.

Is KF over paid? No

Well said!

brett - which coaching staff is overpaid - Clowny staff or Iowa staff??

please factor in revenues, wins, state funding, brand equity gains, and any other pertinent criteria you'd use to make this judgment.

I actually wanted to stimulate debate is all. The backlash is severe it seems. I am wondering if Iowa tanks the rest of this season if people will be wondering the same thing. Do you think second best is good enough to make this money? If so, that is great.

Personally, I think most of you are right. Iowa is not a warm weather recruiting hotbed. Ferentz has done great with what he has, and with the Texas schools picking up prominence, raiding that state has become harder for everyone(the old Fry method). He is as good a coach as one can get in Iowa. That is a fact.

Do I thnk he earns his money more than Tressel and Brown? You bet. He has far less built n advantages. Do I think the Clown staff( I am going along wiht your terminology) earns theirs? If they win 6-7 this year they will have. There are far less advantages at ISU than Iowa, and I do no even want to start comparing that program to the OSUs and UTs of the world.

Last edited:
I hate this kind of crap. Only the DMR would find this article news worthy.

Why would you blame the DMR? It's because they are running the story that we are all talking about it. And judging by the response here I'd say it is news-worthy.

Wonder if Chet could save his political bacon by throwing out all the Regents. From my understanding they serve at the will of the Governor.

He's a better coach than can be found in most states.
I mean in the UoI. I think a coach like Mack Brown who swarms you with 5 star athletes would struggle at UoI. What I meant to say is Ferentz should be a coach of the year candidate every year the hawks win 9 or 10. I think he is a great coach. i just wanted to know if his current success(great in bowls, top 3 Big 10) is all Iowa fans are expecting. Trust me, as an ISU fan, I am very envious.

Wonder if Chet could save his political bacon by throwing out all the Regents. From my understanding they serve at the will of the Governor.

Even if he could he doesn't have the balls to do so. The good folks of Iowa need to raise hell and put this down ASAP!

I actually wanted to stimulate debate is all. The backlash is severe it seems. I am wondering if Iowa tanks the rest of this season if people will be wondering the same thing. Do you think second best is good enough to make this money? If so, that is great.

Personally, I think most of you are right. Iowa is not a warm weather recruiting hotbed. Ferentz has done great with what he has, and with the Texas schools picking up prominence, raiding that state has become harder for everyone(the old Fry method). He is as good a coach as one can get in Iowa. That is a fact.

Do I thnk he earns his money more than Tressel and Brown? You bet. He has far less built n advantages. Do I think the Clown staff( I am going along wiht your terminology) earns theirs? If they win 6-7 this year they will have. There are far less advantages at ISU than Iowa, and I do no even want to start comparing that program to the OSUs and UTs of the world.

To do a comparison you have to look at the donations to the AD/FB department in a 10 yr span(any consecutive 10) to 10 years of KF. Add in the over out of state attendance at Iowa for the same periods, sales of Hawk gear etc. then adjust for inflation, and include inflation in CFB salary.

as far as ISU, if you guys win 6 games.....you are under paying your coach. If 6 wins+bowl win? National COY should be a consideration B12 CoY at the very least. way OT but when was the last time a 1st year coach at ISU had a winning record?

Latest posts