Miller: Hawkeyes Breeze Past MES

biggest thing i took out of the game last night is if Gabe and Woody get in foul trouble , which will happen in at some point we can bring in meyer at the 5 spot if needed to play defense

biggest thing i took out of the game last night is if Gabe and Woody get in foul trouble , which will happen in at some point we can bring in meyer at the 5 spot if needed to play defense

Or if a Mike, Dev and Sapp all aren't available, he can run the point! :rolleyes:

Is Basabe injured or sick during this scenario where Meyer is playing 5 in a game that is still in question?

Jok might win us a few games at the free throw line this year. The ones he "misses" nick the rim on the way down. When the other team is fouling, no one should touch the ball except Jok and Marble.

If he is open, he must shoot the ball to regain his form. A shooter, which he is, must keep on shooting when a good shot is available, but not force shots that are not there. We need him to have this team make the necessary improvement to take the next step. He and Jaryd are important components to that improvement. Jaryd is rapildy improving, actually he seemed to be there from the start of the season. When Jok starts hitting threes consistently, we will be very difficult to contain......

But, yes, he seems to be forcing the issue right now, that will improve as the season progresses.....

I liked Meyer in there and would like to see him get more time on the floor. He has skills that not every big man has, capable of making the three and bringing the ball upcourt, which were two of the reasons Fran recruited him. He played on an elite AAU team that could probably have beat some of our opponents in this early season. Palmetto saw him play with the Atlanta Celtics. I have watched video of them and they were impressive......

:rolleyes:

I like Meyer's potential. He needs to work on some things but I think he will contribute down the road...possibly as early as next season. If we get in a foul fest or someone gets hurt he may be in there this year using his 5 fouls at the very least.

There's something to be said for shot selection shooter or not.

The problem with Jok IMO at free throw time is turnovers at this point in his career. I don't think he's strong enough with the ball yet and is not disciplined enough with his passing to have him on the court at crunch time. He's a freshman who'll learn, but I'd feel better about him at this point if we were seeing all out hustle on defense. When he was on the floor with the deep bench at the end of the game he didn't take charge and I would have expected that. I hope I'm wrong but I'm getting a sense of entitlement instead of a burning desire to out work people and earn minutes. He probably has the best pure shooting stroke on the team and has a nice array of offensive skills. I think Matt or May would be having a one on one heart to heart chat explaining what college bb requires if they were still here. He's going to be good, but he needs to get focused soon or he'll find himself with fewer and fewer minutes IMO. When the mental part of his game reaches the same level as his offensive skill set we'll really have a player.

Jok is a 3 star recruit with his only other offer from Drake. The level of expectation that he has just because he is the only member of this latest class is beyond unfair. As someone else noted, he's slow to the spot, he's slow to elevate, he's just kind of slow in general and it sticks out. I don't think he's going to have a good time on offense or defense once we start playing teams with a pulse. I see his minutes dwindling rapidly throughout the season. Max I see for him in his career is 10 ppg 3 rpg.

How many times was he blocked last night? Once? I think with a young shooter like Jok you want him to shoot when he thinks he has it ... get into the habit of the shooting motion at D1. If you're telling him to look to pass the ball first with minimal pressure, you're not building confidence in his shot.

To include what Windsor stated; Jok is learning and adjusting to D1 ball. 12 months ago, a not fully recovered Jok probably wasn't contested on his shots much, at all. So coach green lights him, lets Jok shoot when he "thinks" he's open, then uses the film to teach and show him when he really was or wasn't. I agree it can be painful to see Jok putting up some bricks and air balls, but you have to see that talent that is laying underneath the mistakes. At some point, we will have Uthoff and Jok with "I can't miss a shot" confidence and they'll be way more right than wrong. Stay the course with this kid. You can just see he's trying to fit in and play as well as everyone else. Remember, even Uthoff practiced with this team all last season and Jok is the only real newcomer this season.

Basabe is an old school 4 in my book , if were playing a team with a true 5 he could come in a fill the void with the others out

Latest posts