Miller: Hawkeyes Breeze Past MES

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Some folks wonder what is to be gained by playing one of the worst teams in Division I basketball. That's what Iowa did on Thursday night, as Maryland-Eastern Shore came into the game ranked 346 out of 351 schools, according to Ken Pomoroy.

While this game did nothing positive for Iowa's RPI, it was as another step on the road for the Hawkeyes and I saw several encouraging things.

AARON WHITE: I really wanted to see White expand his floor game this year and he did some of that in this contest. He hit a short corner baseline shot in the first hand and in the second, he caught the ball near the three-point line and took a drive in towards the right elbow, pulled up and stuck a 15-footer. He had his share of hustle points and four dunks, but the jump shot is what I was hoping to see this year and we got a taste of it on Thursday. White scored 16 points in the first half in just 13 minutes and finished the game with 22 points in just 17 minutes and he was 9-10 from the floor. He looks incredibly confident on the floor and at times, it seems like he is toying with the opponent.

THREE-POINTERS: Iowa entered the game shooting less than 27-percent from three-point range. They knocked down 7-17 from the night, which improved their season percentage to 32.6%. That's still south of where I hope to see Iowa shoot on the season but it was a step in the right direction as Iowa shot just over 30% lat season. If this team can knock down 35% of its three's this year, they will be playing for seed, not just the dance.

JARROD UTHOFF: This is where the 'competition' line has to be drawn, but Jarrod Uthoff continues to impress the heck out of me. He has great ball skills and a real savvy to his game. That's not just another white guy adjective; I like his floor game a great deal. He recorded a double-double, the first of his Iowa career, with 11 points and 11 boards.

ASSISTS: Iowa had 12 assists on 20 field goals in the first half, which is a huge number. For the game, they had 24 on 35 field goals. One of the BTN analysts made the comment 'this team really looks like it enjoys playing with one another. They make the extra pass all of the time.' That seems to be the case. There doesn't appear to be a selfish player on the team.

Here are a few thoughts on some players not yet mentioned...

Adam Woodbury: Four points and six rebounds in 19 minutes. I know this may sound counterintuitive, but I believe his production will increase as the level of competition increases. His skills are better this year and he has a bigger body. He's probably not going to explode into the type of player some are hoping he can be, this year. That said, he doesn't have to be and just needs to learn to stay within himself and stay on the floor because even if he isn't scoring in buckets, Iowa is usually a better team with him on the floor.

Mike Gesell: He had eight points in 17 minutes but it was his first two shots that I liked to see most; they were three points and he never hesitated. Both found the bottom of the well and then he scored on a dribble drive right to the rack. Those eight points came in a span of 01:34 and this had to be a great outing for his confidence. It was also a night where he moved back to the point guard role. Coincidence?

Peter Jok: He scored 11 but Jok is the only player out there who appears as though he is hunting for shots. That said, McCaffery could be giving his young shooter the green light in order to accelerate his development. He was 1-5 from the floor and a few of his misses were forced shots, but he was a perfect 8-8 from the free throw line. He's averaging 17.7 minutes per game and has the second most field goal attempts (24) on the team. That's eight per game.

Devyn Marble: He hit a three-pointer right off the top of the game, was active on the defensive end (four steals) and five assists in 18 minutes. When he went to the bench for good early in the second half, he sat on the floor and later was laying on the floor, reminiscent of players who are dealing with back pain. Marble has acknowledged a gimpy hip and that's probably leading to some back discomfort.

Anthony Clemmons: He had four assists in 13 minutes. He's a great role player for this team and will grow into even more of a luxury off the bench.

Gabe Olaseni: He was very active and rewarded, as he scored 10 points and grabbed five rebonds to go along with three blocks in just 13 minutes of play.

More notes from the game: Iowa has now won 22-straight home games against unranked opponents, dating back to March 13, 2012 -- the third-longest active streak in the Big Ten. The win is also Iowa’s 19th straight at home versus nonconference opponents.

Iowa scored 56 points in the first half. That is the most points ever scored in the first half under Fran McCaffery. Iowa’s 109 points is the second highest point total under Fran McCaffery.

Seven Hawkeyes recorded double figures in scoring. They include: Basabe (12), White (22), Marble (10), Olaseni (10), McCabe (11), Jok (10) and Uthoff (11).

Iowa's next opponent is Abilene Christian, ranked 338th in the nation...so yes, another bad team is coming into Iowa City. After that it's a home game against Penn and then on to Atlantis. Don't rip on the schedule too much; Iowa has 17 games left (out of 31 regular season games) against teams currently ranked in Pomeroy's Top 50, 11 games against teams who are in the Top 30 and games against teams ranked in the Top 15, including a possible ninth if they made it to the title game in Atlantis and Kansas does the same.

MES was not much competition, but Iowa got to work on things like Gesell back at point. Entire team scored so thats a plus. I also thought Jok was trying to force things. He just needs time to adjust.

Nearly every game I have to remind myself to temper expectations for Adam. I was just as excited as anyone when Fran managed to beat Roy Williams and keep a heralded big man close to home as he went about rebuilding Iowa hoops. He has not been the dominating presence, offensively or defensively, under the basket that I thiught he would be, and he still seems to be committing "freshman mistakes." I'm hoping this is another solid year of growth for him and that he'll find his Division 1 game in time for the start of next year, if not sooner.

I continue to be glad he chose Iowa. And I have to think he is, too. He would be playing deep bench in Chapel Hill.

Once upon a time, teams had the luxury off redshirting players like Woodbury, knowing the extra year of development would pay great dividends. That is rare now.

Defending quick guards seems an issue. Even though the didn't always score, MES's guards got to the basket more often than I like. And that was also the case with UNO.

It appears if you pass Jok the ball he is going to shoot it.

My guess is that he has this directive from the coaching staff. I think it's akin to giving a backup QB reps in preseason games. Jok needs to get the jitter-hitch out of his jumper when the bright lights are on. Hence chucking it constantly against scrub teams. Notice that the leash was pulled when we were in a dogfight vs. UNO.

Iowa has 17 games left (out of 31 regular season games) against teams currently ranked in Pomeroy's Top 50, 11 games against teams who are in the Top 30 and games against teams ranked in the Top 15, including a possible ninth if they made it to the title game in Atlantis and Kansas does the same.

This is by far my favorite part of the article. Going to see some very entertaining basketball this winter.

He seemed to look to pass more as the game went on. Maybe McCabe laid into him a bit.

I don't know though about Jok. Seems a little slow, lethargic and maybe lacks the physicality he needs right now.

He seemed to look to pass more as the game went on. Maybe McCabe laid into him a bit.

I don't know though about Jok. Seems a little slow, lethargic and maybe lacks the physicality he needs right now.

I'm eager to see Peter advance at this level (and I think he will) but if you watch his high school highlights you'd say exactly the same thing. He was slow getting to his spot, slow to elevate and get his shot off. It worked in high school; it won't in the B1G. Like Woodbury, he is a work in progress.

I'm eager to see Peter advance at this level (and I think he will) but if you watch his high school highlights you'd say exactly the same thing. He was slow getting to his spot, slow to elevate and get his shot off. It worked in high school; it won't in the B1G. Like Woodbury, he is a work in progress.

Right now I think Pete is adjusting to D-1 basketball. He's shooting because the coach is telling him to shoot. When he starts shooting because he knows (at least in his mind) it's going to go in the transformation will really start to take place. I have little doubt it will. I just don't know exactly when.

Iowa has 17 games left (out of 31 regular season games) against teams currently ranked in Pomeroy's Top 50, 11 games against teams who are in the Top 30 and games against teams ranked in the Top 15, including a possible ninth if they made it to the title game in Atlantis and Kansas does the same.

This is by far my favorite part of the article. Going to see some very entertaining basketball this winter.

That's good, because last night's game won't be an RPI booster.. I don't see UMES winning many games this year. Probably another one of those RPI 300+ opponents that killed us last year.. Hopefully not too many of our remaining non-conference opponents will be like that.

It looks like UNO may be a somewhat competitive team, though, so at season's end, maybe that game won't hurt us much.

We're 3-0. If that 2nd number is in the 5 to 7 range at the end of the year it won't matter who we played early in the year or how bad they were. We'll have 10 to 12 wins over top 50 teams...give or take a couple depending on which teams really are top 50 when all is said and done come March.

If he is open, he must shoot the ball to regain his form. A shooter, which he is, must keep on shooting when a good shot is available, but not force shots that are not there. We need him to have this team make the necessary improvement to take the next step. He and Jaryd are important components to that improvement. Jaryd is rapildy improving, actually he seemed to be there from the start of the season. When Jok starts hitting threes consistently, we will be very difficult to contain......

But, yes, he seems to be forcing the issue right now, that will improve as the season progresses.....

I liked Meyer in there and would like to see him get more time on the floor. He has skills that not every big man has, capable of making the three and bringing the ball upcourt, which were two of the reasons Fran recruited him. He played on an elite AAU team that could probably have beat some of our opponents in this early season. Palmetto saw him play with the Atlanta Celtics. I have watched video of them and they were impressive......

:rolleyes:

We're frequently told coaches want their shooters to shoot, whether or not they are hitting at a certain point, and as others have said it's obvious Fran has given Pete the green light. If you think about it, that's really the only way he's going to be able to adjust his game to this level. There will be bumps along the way but at least he's traveling the road.

I have no problem with Jok shooting it, but how bout he shoot it when he is open? This business of shooting the ball every time he touches it, even when covered is not good for his confidence nor for his stroke. The way to get in a groove is to pass the ball and get it back when he is spotted up. Fran will get him straightened out. I also think Meyer will prove to be useful in a year or two. Continue to wish that we had redshirted Gabe...the twin towers for the next three years would be fantastic. White and Uthoff are about the same size, but different players...I like that.

I liked how Marble distributed the ball last night. He had a few chances to shoot and gave the ball up for an easy 2 points to a teammate. Hope that hip heals up however.

I have no problem with Jok shooting it, but how bout he shoot it when he is open? This business of shooting the ball every time he touches it, even when covered is not good for his confidence nor for his stroke. The way to get in a groove is to pass the ball and get it back when he is spotted up. Fran will get him straightened out. I also think Meyer will prove to be useful in a year or two. Continue to wish that we had redshirted Gabe...the twin towers for the next three years would be fantastic. White and Uthoff are about the same size, but different players...I like that.

Meyer is now listed as our only "Go to Guy" on KenPom. Hooray for small sample sizes.

How many times was he blocked last night? Once? I think with a young shooter like Jok you want him to shoot when he thinks he has it ... get into the habit of the shooting motion at D1. If you're telling him to look to pass the ball first with minimal pressure, you're not building confidence in his shot.

Latest posts