Miller/Donatell

BQuastU

Frustrating. Hope that David Cato doesn't give Nico Law a call. This coming from a self-professed Ferentz kool-aid drinker and, further, with a 100% acknowledgement that I don't know the first thing about Xs and Os.

Same head scratcher as Bernstine behind Sleeper in game 1 last year.

Sigh.

I don't think anyone will disagree that Law has the physical advantage over Donatell, I just think he's still a bit green in terms of reacting and playing smart football. He's a very aggressive player which at this point in his career is a good thing and a bad thing. I expect to see him on the field more this coming weekend. He'll get his shot.

Frustrating. Hope that David Cato doesn't give Nico Law a call. This coming from a self-professed Ferentz kool-aid drinker and, further, with a 100% acknowledgement that I don't know the first thing about Xs and Os.

Sigh.

So is Cato on an NFL team like Sash? Stephen F. Austin superstar? You are suggesting that is a good move for him?

If Law does this, that is his fault.

Donatell did nothing on Saturday for you or anyone else to doubt him. They held NIU to about 200 yds and 17 pts, and only 57 yd passing. Half of the run yardage was from a big run for a TD by Lynch that was on Tanner Miller's side of the field. Last year Sleeper lost his job the moment he didn't perform well in games. He would have been off the field sooner at ISU but Bernstein sat it out due to illness. There's also a small issue of accountability, if Donatell is being a leader for the team, showing up to work out more, being on time, being coachable, and practicing better, the player that does that will be given the first chance to play. You want this culture in the locker room, if you play a cancer it might win you a game now but you will lose more in the long run. Not remotely suggesting that for Nico either...he is the future at the position, hopefully he steps up and gives the coaching staff a reason to play him.

Donatell did nothing on Saturday for you or anyone else to doubt him. They held NIU to about 200 yds and 17 pts, and only 57 yd passing. Half of the run yardage was from a big run for a TD by Lynch that was on Tanner Miller's side of the field. Last year Sleeper lost his job the moment he didn't perform well in games. He would have been off the field sooner at ISU but Bernstein sat it out due to illness. There's also a small issue of accountability, if Donatell is being a leader for the team, showing up to work out more, being on time, being coachable, and practicing better, the player that does that will be given the first chance to play. You want this culture in the locker room, if you play a cancer it might win you a game now but you will lose more in the long run. Not remotely suggesting that for Nico either...he is the future at the position, hopefully he steps up and gives the coaching staff a reason to play him.

Agree with this. Iowa's issues on Saturday were not in the back end, other than Miller taking a poor angle on the eventual long TD run. Donatel was in Man Coverage and near the LOS. Morris got reached by the center I think and that left there one man to beat. When you play man to man like that, there are big plays that can happen in the running game..Iowa was in nickel or dime personnel there with man coverage.

The defense did its job and the offense, once again, was letting the team down.

Sigh.

ferentz intentionally places the better players on the bench. it's almost like he wants to harm the whole team by putting guys on the field that should be on the bench, you know what i mean? anything to lose a game.

Agree with this. Iowa's issues on Saturday were not in the back end, other than Miller taking a poor angle on the eventual long TD run. Donatel was in Man Coverage and near the LOS. Morris got reached by the center I think and that left there one man to beat. When you play man to man like that, there are big plays that can happen in the running game..Iowa was in nickel or dime personnel there with man coverage.

correct. People wanted a 'more aggressive' defense. well here is an example of what you get, and why norm's style was norm's style and worked so well at iowa.

it was man coverage, and you get one guy sucked in, one guy take a bad angle and boom, long td run.

Yes...people think that playing man to man leaves you susceptible to the big passing play..and it does...but it opens you up for big running plays against, too

Respectfully, I think this and the post to which this refers effectively states that these guys were 'ok' and that should be good enough, and that the offense was worse. I am not suggesting that Law is the next Bob Sanders, but I think we've all seen enough of Miller and Donatell to know that they are unspectactular. They are not Tyler Sash.

Also, a fair point from another poster that Cato didn't really turn into much wherever he landed, but he also flashed during his short time.

Only an opinion, and I am more than often wrong.

Last edited:
Donatell missed several tackles on Saturday because he wasn't big/strong/fast enough to get the job done. One in particular in the 1st half should have been a tackle in the backfield and he was reaching for the ball carrier like a baby reaching for his daddy. Donatell needs to sit.

I guess this thread falls into the file of Kirk doesn't play the best players who give his team the best chances at success, right?

This thinking is crazy. Nico Law has not played enough so that any fan could say he should be on the field. I would understand questioning this a little more if he had played 3 or 4 full games.

Why is Jake Roduck not playing? Ive heard a lot of good things about him.

I completely agree. There was nothing wrong with the way Miller / Donatel played yesterday...other than Millers terrible angle on the long td. That being said, we played against a team that didn't throw the ball all over the field. They were run first, spread you out and our 5 guys and beat your 5 or 6.

Oh and for the poster who said something in another thread about Hyde playing poorly in the passing game...get a clue. He was in great position and the interference was very, very questionable...the NIU player had his hands on Hyde too and it was basically a jump ball...that could have gone either way. The catch by Moore was a once a season type of catch...and Hyde was in great position. Hyde is going to play on Sunday.

Donatel will get a much better test this week. The jury will come in to deliberate next Sunday on this board.

correct. People wanted a 'more aggressive' defense. well here is an example of what you get, and why norm's style was norm's style and worked so well at iowa.

it was man coverage, and you get one guy sucked in, one guy take a bad angle and boom, long td run.

Norm had significantly better players to work with most of the time. Norm could have been more aggressive with the players he had and it likely would have worked even better.

I prefer PP style, you give up the occasional big play but you get 3 and outs more often too.

But, did anyone see how soft Tanner Miller hit? How much does he weigh? He kept getting hit by the qb. The qb always fell forward! Tanner needs to lay the boom this week!!

Iowa has a safety that likes to lay the wood. He just sits on the bench!

bull1.jpg

Nico Law has a kewl name and le tavern hokks really value that.

Latest posts