Miller & Deace: Tressel Reax, Gene Smith Watch & more

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
Jon Miller & Steve Deace discuss Jim Tressel's resignation from Ohio State, what may happen to AD Gene Smith and the future for the Buckeye program in part one of a four part video series related to the Ohio State situation, the likely fallout, what it means for the Big Ten and how it will affect other league programs.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2bcHCGUrlb4]YouTube - ‪Miller & Deace React to Tressel Resignation‬‏[/ame]

I've heard before that Deace is soul-less. This video may be the first hard evidence of that.

It's not his words, looking at the "M" on his shirt, you can see right through him to your background photo.

LOL...not sure why the M was transparent...when I wore an all black shirt last time, there was some bleed...the M is gold, but not green...so not sure why it did that...I am going to have to start making sure we don't wear solid colors for these things.

there are three more on the way related to the Big Ten, why Ohio State is a tough place to monitor stuff like this and more....we'll post them all this week.

After we finished with these last night, we were both stoked up about talking some college football...oddly enough, this OSU situation, coinciding with the magazine releases, has the football juices flowing.

When we release our college football preview later this summer, it will be an extensive video series.

I've watched all of the podcasts so far and there's always one instance where Deace says something that Jon has an ummmmmm ok look on his face like yeah he really went there. This time it was when Deace was talking about not firing minorities or "people who have sex with the people of the same gender."

Lol. Yeah, we'll probably always have that bit of friction. I think it's a good thing. Nothing we do is scripted and it's all reaction. So given the parties involved, yeah there will be that.

They bring up some good points..loss of scholarships, transfers etc. This is getting to be like a scab that keeps getting picked and scratched, before long is starts ozzing pus. When this all falls out, OSU could be contending for last place with Indiana for a few years.

This is the first time I have seen this Deace guy..seems like his comments on race and gender relationships are along the line of Rush Limbaugh(~McNabb). Not impressed.

Regarding the death penalty for SMU, I believe that it was actually only one year that the NCAA forced them to abandon the program. SMU chose to not play the 2nd year on their own accord.

Personally, I think people are vastly overestimating the damage this scandal will have on the Ohio State football program. First of all, the NCAA hardly has the reputation of coming down hard on their elite institutions. Second, Tressel was allowed to resign, but he was, in reality, forced into this decision by the powers that be at Ohio St. and they will use this to their advantage. They will point out that, yes, some of their student athletes committed some secondary infractions by selling their possessions for tattoo discounts, but the major violation was committed by Tressel and, of course, we fired him. Ohio State is a program that is "too big to fail" and I suspect they will get the same type of sanctions that USC did, i.e. loss of a few scholarships and most likely a bowl ban for a year. The scholarship loss will be negligible because they already have blue chip recruits that never get into the games and a ready supply of recruits that just want to be Buckeyes no matter what. The bowl ban will hurt their pride, but they will be back in a year with hardly a beat missed. I would love to be wrong about this because I truly believe that OSU is the only Big Ten team that cheats at a level on par with their SEC brethren, but I will be surprised if the NCAA has the stones to really rock their world.

Ohio State is a program that is "too big to fail" and I suspect they will get the same type of sanctions that USC did, i.e. loss of a few scholarships and most likely a bowl ban for a year. The scholarship loss will be negligible because they already have blue chip recruits that never get into the games and a ready supply of recruits that just want to be Buckeyes no matter what. The bowl ban will hurt their pride, but they will be back in a year with hardly a beat missed.

I would not call the USC punishments insignificant, and I think OSU will face the same level of punishment at a minimum. We'll see how much it affects USC.

Last year, the first year the penalties were put in place, they had their first sub 9-win season since 2001.

I think the penalties will prevent OSU from going out and getting a coach they want for a while. USC got Kiffin, who left Tennessee ahead of likely penalties he was going to bring about..they are made for each other.

Personally, I think people are vastly overestimating the damage this scandal will have on the Ohio State football program. First of all, the NCAA hardly has the reputation of coming down hard on their elite institutions. Second, Tressel was allowed to resign, but he was, in reality, forced into this decision by the powers that be at Ohio St. and they will use this to their advantage. They will point out that, yes, some of their student athletes committed some secondary infractions by selling their possessions for tattoo discounts, but the major violation was committed by Tressel and, of course, we fired him. Ohio State is a program that is "too big to fail" and I suspect they will get the same type of sanctions that USC did, i.e. loss of a few scholarships and most likely a bowl ban for a year. The scholarship loss will be negligible because they already have blue chip recruits that never get into the games and a ready supply of recruits that just want to be Buckeyes no matter what. The bowl ban will hurt their pride, but they will be back in a year with hardly a beat missed. I would love to be wrong about this because I truly believe that OSU is the only Big Ten team that cheats at a level on par with their SEC brethren, but I will be surprised if the NCAA has the stones to really rock their world.

I agree.

This is much ado that will end up being next to nothing. Loss of a bowl game for a year and a few scholarships won't amount to squat for Ohio State. So they have a few less blue-chippers to sit on the bench? Big deal.

The only way to "truly" punish them is to hit them....hard. And the NCAA won't do that.

Big programs can go up and down.

In the 1990's, USC won just six more games than did Iowa, and the 1990's was not a great decade for Iowa football.

Iowa won more games in the 1990's than did Oklahoma. Texas A&M had the 9th best winning percentage in the 1990's and they are an afterthought right now. Same for ND (13th) and Washington (14th).

Clemson had the 5th best winning percentage in the 1980's and UCLA was 11th.

In the 2000's, Iowa had one fewer win than Michigan, more than Penn State (a 70's, 80's and 90's power and has beaten them 7 of 8 times), and 22 more wins than Alabama, an all time power.

Many of those 'power outages' you see stemmed from NCAA sanctions.

Ohio State has been in the top 11 or so in winning percentage in the 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's...they however are not immune to a down cycle, respective to their past success.

You are correct that SMU gave up a second season of their own choosing. I believe they weren't going to be allowed any home games in that season.

Its going to be a long time before we see another death penalty. OSU doesn't come close to what SMU was doing.

SMU had a total disregard for the rules over a long period of time..I think they were slapped with NCAA sanctions like four or five times in the 70's and leading up to the mid 80's

Latest posts