Miller / Deace this morning

HawkI101

On the show this morning Jon was trying to say some positive things about bball and Deace was in total disagreement with him. Sorry Jon, but I was in total agreement with Deace, "call it what it is."

I may not remember everything the way Jon said it but something along the lines of we will be on the edge of getting into the tourney next year. Are you just trying to be positive or do you really think that? I have been trying to think how that could happen next year and can not come up with any way that is possible.

On the show this morning Jon was trying to say some positive things about bball and Deace was in total disagreement with him. Sorry Jon, but I was in total agreement with Deace, "call it what it is."

I may not remember everything the way Jon said it but something along the lines of we will be on the edge of getting into the tourney next year. Are you just trying to be positive or do you really think that? I have been trying to think how that could happen next year and can not come up with any way that is possible.

Well I've been saying NIT for next season (provided no core players transfer), which depending on your perception may count as being on the edge of the Big Dance.

Well I've been saying NIT for next season (provided no core players transfer), which depending on your perception may count as being on the edge of the Big Dance.

NIT would be on the verge in my opinion, but I don't even see that. I think ISU has a much better squad this year than we will have next year and they won't be going to the NIT either.

Here is how it happens:

Iowa wins 2 of 3 in the Virgin Isles tourny.
Iowa wins all three instate games with UNI and ISU in CHA and Drake not great.
Iowa wins all the cupcakes, and only loses in the ACC Challenge on the road.

That puts Iowa at 11-2 going into league play.
Iowa beats everyone at home cept for OSU,MSU,Ill,and PU...ie..5-4 at home.
Iowa beats PSU,IU,NW,and Mich on the road...going 4-5...9-9 overall...
Iowa is the 6th seed in the BTT and beats the 11th seed(mich) on day one...and then upsets Ill on the second day of the tourny...then lose in the semis...which leaves them at 22-12...and they sneak into the Big Dance as the 6th Big Ten team in a year that the league is top 2 in overall RPI...easy peasy,japaneasy...

NIT would be on the verge in my opinion, but I don't even see that. I think ISU has a much better squad this year than we will have next year and they won't be going to the NIT either.

At this point.. Iowa would beat ISU right now. If Iowa returns all of their core players.. they could be a very solid team depending on where our recruits fall into the puzzle. I just pray everybody comes back.

Here is how it happens:

Iowa is the 6th seed in the BTT and beats the 11th seed(mich) on day one...and then upsets Ill on the second day of the tourny...then lose in the semis...which leaves them at 22-12...and they sneak into the Big Dance as the 6th Big Ten team in a year that the league is top 2 in overall RPI...easy peasy,japaneasy...
I love stories with nice endings, even fantasies.

Here is how it happens:

22 wins would get us in easy. That would be awesome if we won 22 I will shoot for 16-17 wins next year and hope for better.

Here is how it happens:

Wow saying it like that makes it sound so easy

Here is how it happens:

Yeah - that would do it. Pipe dream

Jon is very up and down when it comes to this years basketball team. Sure we played good last night but lets remember that Michigan blows. Lets win a few games before we start talking about any sort of postseason play

Not sure what they said this morning......woke up about 8.

I do subscribe to the Deace theory of it is going to take 2 or 3 years of sustained winning just to get the program where it was when Alford left.

Here is how it happens:

I think everybody would sign up for this scenario right now!!!

If we don't lose any of our core players I think we have a chance to be pretty good.

I think I see a possitive in the way Lick has tried to go about setting things up by bulding from the ground up. Sitting a very good athletic player is easier when a player not as athletic has much more expierence. Hopefully our core guys from this year are a solid enough foundation to build upon next year.

I believe Jon said, best case scenario, iowa could be on the verge of the nit next year.

This is correct. Deace lost control, which he is prone to do, and tried to stop all things Hawkeye from being discussed. He can't stand what is happening at Stinchagain and ISUx, therefore to say anything positive about Hawkeye basketball is so far over the top for him that his indignation takes complete control. This makes for great radio when and if Jon stands his ground, which he did today.

Iowa should have a shot at the NIT tourney next year because only Bawinkle graduates, all starters return, and significant depth will be added. Additionally, looking at current Big Ten starting lineups, below is a good reason to be excited for the 2011-2012 basketball season:

Illinois
DJ Richardson (Jr)

Indiana
Tom Pritchard (Sr)
Christian Watford (Jr)
Verdell Jones III (Sr)
Jordan Hulls (Jr)

Iowa
Cully Payne (Jr)
Matt Gatens (Sr)
Eric May (Jr)
Aaron Fuller (Sr)

Michigan
Stu Douglas (Sr)
Zack Novak (Sr)
Darius Morris (Jr)

Michigan State
Delvon Roe (Sr)
Derrick Nix (Jr)

Minnesota
Ralph Sampson III (Sr)
Devoe Joseph (Sr)

Northwestern
Drew Crawford (Jr)
Luka Mirkovic (Sr)
John Shurna (Sr)

Ohio State
William Buford (Sr)

Penn State
Chris Babb (Sr)

Purdue
Kelsey Barlow (Sr)

Wisconsin
Jordan Taylor (Sr)

Last edited:
This is correct. Deace lost control, which he is prone to do, and tried to stop all things Hawkeye from being discussed. He can't stand what is happening at Stinchagain and ISUx, therefore to say anything positive about Hawkeye basketball is so far over the top for him that his indignation takes complete control. This makes for great radio when and if Jon stands his ground, which he did today.

Verge of the NIT makes a lot more sense - i couldnt believe he would say NCAA's

I think 22 wins next year is overly optimistic. You have iowa beating michigan 3 times next year. Are sims and harris seniors? because as long as those two are there, are we ever going to beat Michigan? I don't hink iowa can beat UNi next year. I do think ISU and Drake are wiinable games. I would wait see on the ACC game. we should be matched up against one of the last place teams, making that a winnable game.

i would be very happy to accept your scenrio. I also would be happy with a winning season. even would be thrilled for a NIT bid.

I didn't think Deace was trying to stop the Hawks from being discussed I think he was just saying to Miller, c'mon you are this optimistic after losing to a bad Michigan team at home. If you would have lost to Purdue that way or MSU then that would be a different story.

Latest posts