Miller & Deace on Crazy CFB Weekend, Jamie Pollard Conspiracy

I posted this in another thread, but thought I would post it here as well...

I like Steve, he is very witty and he makes some good points and his dry humor always makes me laugh but everybody knows he is an Iowa State fan. He doesn't give 2 sh%$s about the Iowa Hawkeyes. Sometimes I wish Jon would do the podcasts with a different former Iowa player every week. It would be fun to listen to serious, informative Iowa Hawkeye Football instead of listening to Deace take cheap shots at Iowa fans and ramble on and on about Michigan. Sometimes the podcast seems to be more Cyclone and Wolverine garbage than anything else. I still enjoy listening to it, I just wish Jon would talk more and even out the commentary instead of Steave "The Cyclone" Deace doing 80% of the show.

Why do you think Lute Olson went after Jim Bain? Lute was so mad that he had seen enough of the poor officiating and downright favoritism towards the big boys of Indiana, Purdue, Mich, OSU.

IIRC, Bain had made some public statements in the summer before that season about how he hated refereeing at Iowa and how he hated the fans there. And while he enjoyed a long (too long) career refereeing Big 10 and Big 8 games, here in Iowa he will always be remembered for the phantom call.

Deace is such a blow hard that much is a fact, he brings almost nothing to these pod casts except to try to rip on Iowa and Iowa fans as much as he can....nothing but a tool and a troll...

Do you actually listen to the podcasts? I'm no big fan of Deace, but I don't think he's too awfully hard on Iowa or Iowa fans.

But I do agree with what Deace said about league's and maybe officials even subliminally seeing the difference between their bell-weather teams and a low lying team like Iowa State. There might be some form of psychology at work to give the big guys the benefit of the calls.

I think this really comes to light during the bball season. We see it consistently with the veteran coaches in the conference imo.

I personally think during this day and age that the sheer amount of money involved will always bring question marks, and most certainly corruption (cough SEC cough). At the same time, is it really possible to improve the system further? At this point you almost have to put a team at every game that can over rule refs, and that just seems highly improbable. I'm not talking replay either, I'm talking blatantly blown calls, unreviewable non sense that for some reason still exists in the game, and straight up momentum shifting calls that are bs.

When Dace used to rip Iowa, I was like the guys in Animal House... "He can't say that about Iowa, only we (fans) can say that about Iowa". But now I listen and I agree when he has less than praise for my Hawkeyes. I think he's pretty honest in his assessment of Iowa.

When Dace used to rip Iowa, I was like the guys in Animal House... "He can't say that about Iowa, only we (fans) can say that about Iowa". But now I listen and I agree when he has less than praise for my Hawkeyes. I think he's pretty honest in his assessment of Iowa.

So do I. He actually agreed that Iowa should be about 4th in the Big Ten right now which is pretty high praise. Higher than I would give at this point in time. I do think we have the potential to beat everyone remaining on the schedule but we could also lose to anyone (except maybe Illinios). He also gave pretty high praise for Weisman relative to other rb's in the Big Ten.

So Deace takes a shot at Iowa fans while discussing the Jamie Pollard situation. I'm not sure how Iowa has ANYTHING IN THE WORLD to do with the Jamie Pollard situation. Can anyone enlighten me?

Jon, does it bother you that Steve Deace is insulting Iowa fans the way he is? You are one of the biggest Iowa fans of all...you have a Hawkeye website, and that is how you make a living! You can't disassociate yourself from the demographic that he is describing and insulting. DOESN'T THAT **** YOU OFF that he says things like that????? You were chuckling the entire time he was ranting. Why was that funny to you?
JM: No it doesn't bother me. He's giving his opinion and this isn't an extension of the Iowa Sports Info Dept. I was laughing because I thought it was funny, but not for the reasons you assumed.

Look, I've listened to a lot of these Podcasts. I listen to gain perspective that I may not have arrived at on my own. I'm not against differing viewpoints, but Jon you are getting completely run over by Deace on each and every Podcast. Just rename them "Jon Miller introduces his blow-hard, know-it-all friend Steve Deace" Podcast. That's basically what happens. I'm much more curious to hear what YOU have to say. I'd enjoy these podcasts a lot more if you brought in someone like Pat Harty, Rick Brown, Mike Hlas, etc.... JM: I do 20 minutes by myself after the games...I am not gonna do two or three stand alones per week as that would get tedious and they wouldn't be that good.

Steve Deace is very controversial. He infuses a lot of his own beliefs (and political leanings) at the expense of insulting the majority of listeners (as he did on this podcast). He can be brash, rude and downright uncivil at times. He justifies this because he is a "Christian". He even mentions that in this podcast. JM: Now we seem to have hit the real reasons ;)

One last thing...I'm not really one of the biggest Hawkeye fans you, or anyone knows. I want them to win, no question. I enjoy writing and commenting about them for sure. But as far as being a 'fan', with each passing year I am much less a fan and more of an observer. I am not the Iowa web publisher who is dishing out bro hugs to former players and cheesy handshakes to recruits. I am not gonna get red faced if someone says something that insults one of the programs, unless I think it's outright lunacy. And the fact is, Iowa fans complain about officiating quite a bit, as do most fanbases...I do it, too. This is sports...it ain't life and death.

It's cool. Deace is a good dude, with excellent insight.

It's also cool he's dying a death of a thousand paper cuts by vicariously living through Michigan FB. The toilet bowl can't swirl fast enough.

I've said this before about other shows or hosts when people get sideways; if you don't like it, don't consume it. Pretty simple. That's your way of 'speaking'.

That said, during a normal game week, the three M&D podcast episodes all 'chart' in the Top 100 episodes on iTunes for college and high school sports, sometimes with three in the Top 20. The podcast itself has been ranked as high as 5th in the category, with two or three ESPN products ranking higher. I take that as an endorsement of what we are doing...when a podcast like this gets downloaded 15K times or more for just one episode, that's in pretty rare company for sports talk...that's what we used to pull in during a normal hour of the morning show on terrestrial radio. A few of the instant reax podcasts after games have been downloaded 10K+ times in 36 hours, which is amazing for a weekend.

I do enjoy the feedback, and not every episode is gonna be a winner for every person...but we are having fun doing them and as long as we are, we'll keep doing them. Once they are no longer fun for us, we probably won't. I hope that we keep doing them for a good long time, however.

It's cool. Deace is a good dude, with excellent insight.

It's also cool he's dying a death of a thousand paper cuts by vicariously living through Michigan FB. The toilet bowl can't swirl fast enough.

seth - to answer your signature question - i absolutely would. what would be the alternative? i don't get a free education and the employer still makes millions......

I love listening to the podcast and love Deace although I strongly disagree with him here. Pollard has become a typical isu fan. It's a loser mentality. It's a "not fair"mentality. I do agree that many hawk fans like to blame games on referees. I constantly have to remind these friends how Kirk took a knee before the half or different situations throughout the game that we **** away. It's a 60 minute game where every play/drive should be just as important as the final. Some teams/coaches get that. Some don't. When you've been below average as long as Iowa state, when you do play well, you feel like you should get bonus points. I.e. all the calls.
So keep the podcasts coming John. Love Deace. But I get it. Hawk fans do need to take a long deep breathe before blaming games on controversial calls. Sometimes you have to be far superior to beat someone. That's life.

I guess I just don't get that bothered by opinions different than mine. I like listening to Deace talk about Iowa football as it doesn't come from a Iowa homer perspective. He usually tries to stay pretty objective on topics, but it is obvious that he can't stay objective on Michigan football or ISU issues. Not a big deal, fans rarely can, and I know that I as a Hawk fan rarely can myself.

That said his take on Pollard is just typical ISU loser mentality. He tried to have it both ways saying he doesn't believe in conspiracies......BUT he thinks it is a conspiracy. Saying that Hawk fan complains about officiating more is just laughable. The only game Iowa fans even remotely blame on the refs is the Florida vs Iowa bowl game. ISU has got about a 2 page list of games officials have screwed ISU out of, and some of those freaking morons actually think that they lost the Okie St. game because of the officials.

It is a total loser mentality, and I can tell you this if ISU loses to Toledo on Saturday, if I were an ISU fan, I'd stand up and say that Pollard and Rhoads have to go as they cultivate and nurture this loser mentality, and have spread it all throughout the football team, and the fan base. Losing 13 of the last 17 and 10 of the last 11 games at Jack Trice is the direct result of this type of loser mentality leadership coming from the top, and working it's way everywhere through that football program.

So Deace takes a shot at Iowa fans while discussing the Jamie Pollard situation. I'm not sure how Iowa has ANYTHING IN THE WORLD to do with the Jamie Pollard situation. Can anyone enlighten me?

Jon, does it bother you that Steve Deace is insulting Iowa fans the way he is? You are one of the biggest Iowa fans of all...you have a Hawkeye website, and that is how you make a living! You can't disassociate yourself from the demographic that he is describing and insulting. DOESN'T THAT **** YOU OFF that he says things like that????? You were chuckling the entire time he was ranting. Why was that funny to you?

Look, I've listened to a lot of these Podcasts. I listen to gain perspective that I may not have arrived at on my own. I'm not against differing viewpoints, but Jon you are getting completely run over by Deace on each and every Podcast. Just rename them "Jon Miller introduces his blow-hard, know-it-all friend Steve Deace" Podcast. That's basically what happens. I'm much more curious to hear what YOU have to say. I'd enjoy these podcasts a lot more if you brought in someone like Pat Harty, Rick Brown, Mike Hlas, etc....

Steve Deace is very controversial. He infuses a lot of his own beliefs (and political leanings) at the expense of insulting the majority of listeners (as he did on this podcast). He can be brash, rude and downright uncivil at times. He justifies this because he is a "Christian". He even mentions that in this podcast.

Look if he is a "Christian", then I need to find a different religion. I've got a lot of other adjectives that would better describe him.

I do respect that he is your friend and you have your reasons for that, but this is a Hawkeye Website for HAWKEYE FANS! Why in the world would you bring someone on here that insults us?

I totally agree with this post. Deace has a big voice, and, to some extent, I think Jon is riding his coat tails. Deace totally has little brother syndrome. As a Michigan fan, he has always been little brother to Ohio State. As an Iowa State fan, he has always been little brother to Iowa. You heard Deace in this podcast do exactly what Pollard did. Deflect. He wants people to pay attention to what Hawk fans a not to the pathetic Iowa State football program. Pollard wants people to ignore Iowa State's 1-4 record this season and pay attention to the big 12 picking on them. When you listen to the podcast, Jon asks Deace several times if it is a conspiracy. Deace never answers the question. It's always deflect.

Also, regarding Pollard's argument that the big 12 has a conspiracy against ISU and the vote by ISU is what is costing them all these calls is not even logical. That's how you can tell that Pollard is really reaching. Does this make sense to you? ISU votes against adding another official and then complains about not getting calls? I think most ISU fans are smarter than that, but some will chose to ignore because they are too afraid to jump from a sunken ship.

Deace going off about Iowa fans who have nothing to do with the situation, nice. There’s a pretty big difference between hawkfan69 on the message boards and an athletic director.

I love to listen to deace talb cfb - he really knows his stuff...I don't think he's always right, but he often points out angles that would not have occurred to me.

When he is in certain moods, he does seem to try a little too hard sometimes to stretch his sports opinions into his wider worldview...usually with pretty flimsy results, but that is just my opinion.

One point he did hit pretty hard that I disagree with regards to humans being motivated strongly by self interest...on a certain level, I think that is true, but at the same time you can't ignore the wider picture which shows humans as a species to be the most sophisticated collaborators in the known universe.

I love to listen to deace talb cfb - he really knows his stuff...I don't think he's always right, but he often points out angles that would not have occurred to me.

When he is in certain moods, he does seem to try a little too hard sometimes to stretch his sports opinions into his wider worldview...usually with pretty flimsy results, but that is just my opinion.

One point he did hit pretty hard that I disagree with regards to humans being motivated strongly by self interest...on a certain level, I think that is true, but at the same time you can't ignore the wider picture which shows humans as a species to be the most sophisticated collaborators in the known universe.

^ my point being that the notion of human beings being hard wired to further ourselves at the expense of everyone else is a fundamental misunderstanding of Darwin which dates back to the late 19th century. individual genes ​areally in a sense trying to compete each other out of existence, but humans - athough assembled out of a collection of genes - are not. In fact, if you compare humans to the animal kingdom, cooperation is one of only a handful of things we do much better than every other critter.

At our core and from the start, we are all incredibly selfish. Typically, when you have kids, that gets leeched out of you a little bit at at time and also rams home how selfish we are from the get go, as children are the most selfish things on the planet...yet there are moments of clarity and when the light shines in ;) It doesn't mean you won't help others, it means that the majority of motivations, actions, thoughts in life are based in self interest...not all, but I would wager most.

seth - to answer your signature question - i absolutely would. what would be the alternative? i don't get a free education and the employer still makes millions......

Depends on the 'education' I'd be receiving.

Ability to choose a life-long profession, absolutely.

Get corn-holed into choosing "interdepartmental studies" so I can remain eligible and end up selling life insurance? Absolutely not.

The key is using one's ability to fashion a scholarship into *their* favor/benefit, not the other way around.

Anyway, the whole Pollard thing is a well-staged pity party, for what conceivable outcome.....who knows? I see nothing good coming out of it other that deflecting the fact the ISU FB program (Iowa wins notwithstanding), is at a MAC-level.

Last edited:

Latest posts