MILLER: Big Ten Divisions Through Eyes of Each Team

Great article, Jon. However, I'm not quite sold on the fact that Michigan would be a favorite to win our division next year. I don't see RichRod making it out of 2010 with his job intact. That means that the Maize and Blue will be starting out from scratch again next year. Just my opinion.:)

Bielema didn't get his wish. What did they lose? A rivalry game with Iowa. That's it.

Don't cry for the Badgers.

Here's what they got:

1. They get bragging rights for the first Big10 game with Nebraska.

2. They get that game at Wisconsin. On national television.

Those are temporary gifts, I know. But seeding the Big10 football programs since 1993 they also got these annual permanent gifts:

3. A game with the #12 seed - Indiana - every year. (15 losing seasons)

4. A game with the #11 seed - Minnesota - every year. (13 losing seasons)

5. A game with the #10 seed - Illinois - every year. (11 losing seasons)

6. And Purdue? Of the middle-tier teams: NW, MSU (6 losing seasons), and Purdue (7 losing seasons) -- the Boilermakers would be the #9 seed.

So Wisconsin plays -- every year -- , the #9, #10, #11, and #12 seeds based on history since 1993.

Somehow, I don't think their arm was twisted to go play out East. Maybe the Ol' Badger Alvarez is a fox.

Bielema didn't get his wish. What did they lose? A rivalry game with Iowa. That's it.

Don't cry for the Badgers.

Here's what they got:

1. They get bragging rights for the first Big10 game with Nebraska.

2. They get that game at Wisconsin. On national television.

Those are temporary gifts, I know. But seeding the Big10 football programs since 1993 they also got these annual permanent gifts:

3. A game with the #12 seed - Indiana - every year. (15 losing seasons)

4. A game with the #11 seed - Minnesota - every year. (13 losing seasons)

5. A game with the #10 seed - Illinois - every year. (11 losing seasons)

6. And Purdue? Of the middle-tier teams: NW, MSU (6 losing seasons), and Purdue (7 losing seasons) -- the Boilermakers would be the #9 seed.

So Wisconsin plays -- every year -- , the #9, #10, #11, and #12 seeds based on history since 1993.

Somehow, I don't think their arm was twisted to go play out East. Maybe the Ol' Badger Alvarez is a fox.

While I see your point, players don't come to your program to play Indiana, Illinois, Purdue and Minny. They want to play in big games! Furthermore, fans want to see how their team compares to the top-half of the conference. I would take Iowa's draw any day over Wisconsin's from a player and fan perspective.

Latest posts