Miller: Big 10 Home Field Factors

JonDMiller

Publisher/Founder
There was an item today over at The Sporting News where a pair of their college football writers listed the Top Ten home field advantages in college football. You can read it here.

One of the writers said this: 8. Iowa. Incredible fan following especially helped in 2008 win over Penn State. Hawkeyes also seem to get Saturday wind and cold if they need an extra edge.
They also listed Ohio State and Wisconsin.

I have talked with several former Iowa players as well as members of the Iowa media through the years about the stadiums they felt were the toughest to play and the toughest environments they witnessed. It’s tough to not break things out into categories when looking at the home field advantages in the Big Ten, so I won’t try doing that.

VOLUME: It’s tough to top The Horseshoe at Ohio State for volume, but Beaver Stadium in State College might actually do that. It’s either one of those two stadiums with regards to the loudest decibel level stadium, as each boasts more than 100,000 fans on gamedays. But based on conversations with several former Iowa players that played in the NFL, and them asking former Big Ten players these same questions, Kinnick Stadium comes in a solid third with the 70,000 and change that show up each weekend. Camp Randall Stadium in Madison is probably real close here.

MOST INTIMIDATING ENVIRONMENT: The White House that Iowa saw at Penn State was something else, and the Horseshoe is an awe inspiring sight with how vertical it goes…sort of like a modern day Coliseum. Camp Randall actually shakes (at least the press box did the times I have been there). But Kinnick is right there; the proximity of the fans to the players on the visiting sideline is unlike anything else in college football. Iowa fans absolutely are involved in the action on the field, the true 12th man. Michigan is just big, but it’s not loud, or at least it wasn’t deafening in its old configuration. It will be interesting to see if there is any new baffling or amplified effect from the luxury sweet towers that will parallel the field on both sides starting this fall. Kinnick is #2 on the list behind The Horseshoe.

INSANE POSSE: Their crazy at Camp Randall, rain or shine. While they are just flat loud at Ohio State and Penn State, no one has ever told me they felt like they were in a nuthouse the way they did at Wisconsin. Like it is at Iowa, it’s close to being personal. The fans know they are needed and they bring it. We touched on the proximity to the field in the last paragraph and that’s why Kinnick scores big marks here, too, but we’ll go with the Madtown folk here. Hey, it’s OK to pass on the honor of the most insane.
BEST GAMEDAY ENVIRONMENT: I have been told the people at State College are very hospitable, as are the folks at Michigan. I am sure this depends on your own personal experiences (which I want you to share with everyone below). I won’t rank Kinnick here, because I am too biased to do so. I am going to leave this one up to you, the Hawkeye fan road warrior that makes these trips each year.

FLAT TIRES: Chuck Hartlieb once told me that playing at Indiana was not easy..not because the stadium gets raucous, but because its so flat and sterile, you just don’t encounter that too many times during the season. With the new stadium at Minnesota being a better place to play a football game, the Hoosiers win this one. Some might think Northwestern, but there are always so many fans from the opposition to liven the place up, they don’t get the call.

WORST PLACE TO TRAVEL: This is another category that will be tough to judge objectively…so much of this has to do with your experiences, and you might have drawn a bad parking assignment next to some hooligans. Based on the interactions I have had and conversations with others, Illinois scores unfavorably here, which means they are near the top of this category. Perhaps that is just because we’re Iowa and they’re Illinois; I’ll concede that.

TOUGHEST TO GET TO: I have heard several horror stories about getting to State College by plane or by car…While Iowa City is smack dab in the middle of flyover country, visiting fans can fly into Cedar Rapids and be just 20 minutes away from campus once they get on I-380 and it’s right on I-80. Illinois is an easy trip, as is Minnesota and Madison, Ohio State and Michigan. While State College is at a disadvantage because it’s the farthest from Iowa, it’s still not easy. Purdue jumps up on the list here; you have to go off the beaten path. I had my own personal horror story getting out of Evanston once, but again, these opinions are quite personal.

We know Kinnick Rocks. We know the Iowa fans are a generous breed. Share your stories based on these or other perspectives you wish to add.

There is nothing like walking into Kinnick on a fall Saturday. It reminds me alot of how I felt as a kid on Christmas morning.

I have been to 8 of the 11 Big Ten stadiums. I have not yet made it to PSU, Purdue, or the new Minnesota stadium, but the best road trip in terms of tailgating and atmosphere was easily tOSU last year.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I haven't had any bad experiences on any of the roadtrips I have made. I heard how awful Wisconsin and Illinois fans were to Iowa fans, but I had no issues at all, and the Wisconsin game I went to was the night game in 2007.

I haven't made it to all of them but I thought the fans in Ann Arbor were classy. We had good conversations, wishing each other luck etc etc.

On the other hand, I thought the fans in Cbus were horrible.

Wisconsin deserves to lose a few points for their student section routinely not showing up until halfway through the first quarter.

I've not been to any other stadium but Kinnick. I'm making the trip to Ann Arbor this year (for free, no less), and I plan on going up to Madison in 2011. Happy Valley and The Shoe are two stadiums that I HAVE to see before I die.

I have been to 8 of the 11 Big Ten stadiums. I have not yet made it to PSU, Purdue, or the new Minnesota stadium, but the best road trip in terms of tailgating and atmosphere was easily tOSU last year.

Maybe I have just been lucky, but I haven't had any bad experiences on any of the roadtrips I have made. I heard how awful Wisconsin and Illinois fans were to Iowa fans, but I had no issues at all, and the Wisconsin game I went to was the night game in 2007.

I agree the fans at OSU have been pretty good. I've been there twice. It could help that OSU won both games, if Iowa had won it might have been a different story. I have been to Wisconsin three times and Iowa has won all three games, their fans were jerks each time. I agree with the poster about the student section showing up at half time and each time much of the stadium empties out half way through the 4th quarter.
The worst fan base I have encountered in my 10 years of following the Hawks on the road was Florida. They were ignorant, rude, and stupid. I could not stand them.

I've not been to any other stadium but Kinnick. I'm making the trip to Ann Arbor this year (for free, no less), and I plan on going up to Madison in 2011. Happy Valley and The Shoe are two stadiums that I HAVE to see before I die.

Never been to Happy Valley, will go in the future. The Shoe, is a must see its just an awesome spectacle. The amount of people in red at that place is simply unbeliable. It is the loudest place I have ever been in and an exciting place to watch a football game.
Camp Randall is also pretty cool. We have sat so high each time I've been there that you can see the lake over the other side of the stadium, it's pretty cool. Also I am hoping to get to Michigan this year as well.

Indiana is about as bland as it can get
Illinois isn't much better
The Shoe is awesome. All that is college football
Camp Crazy is just that. If you don't listen to the vulgar, drunk 18-19 yr olds. Great party
Northwestern wouldn't even count if it weren't for the city
Michigan State was just ok
Humpty dome was awful
Never been to Purdue
Never been to Big House
Never been to PSU

Indiana is about as bland as it can get
Illinois isn't much better
The Shoe is awesome. All that is college football
Camp Crazy is just that. If you don't listen to the vulgar, drunk 18-19 yr olds. Great party
Northwestern wouldn't even count if it weren't for the city
Michigan State was just ok
Humpty dome was awful
Never been to Purdue
Never been to Big House
Never been to PSU

Purdue is ok - nothing special

Did OSU and PSU last year and both are unreal - and surprisingly friendly. I would also note many Iowa fans were tailgating at 9:00am sat morning for the 3:30 OSU kickoff. PSU felt louder, particularly after their first pass of the game.

Did OSU and PSU last year and both are unreal - and surprisingly friendly. I would also note many Iowa fans were tailgating at 9:00am sat morning for the 3:30 OSU kickoff. PSU felt louder, particularly after their first pass of the game.

I wasn't there, but I get the feeling they were also quieter when AC blocked the punt than OSU was when DJK ran the kickoff back for a score ;)

One of the writers said this: 8. Iowa. Incredible fan following especially helped in 2008 win over Penn State. Hawkeyes also seem to get Saturday wind and cold if they need an extra edge.

What is THIS about? I wasn't aware that it only got cold and windy in Kinnick and that it only affected one team. Very interesting

Have to agree that the Shoe is pretty impressive and gets very, very, loud. As for the tailgating, that's another story. Just know to bring plastic cups lots of them.

No drinking on campus but the cops said as long as you drink out of a plastic cup you will be fine, but if they see beer cans or someone pouring beer into a plastic cup they will give you a ticket. Lame rule and saw them give an Iowa fan a ticket at our tailgate, the Ohio State fans around us were really nice and told us the do's and don'ts.

Only been to Wisc once a few years ago thought it was just as loud if not a little more loud then Kinnick gets.

The Big House is a hole in the ground, been a few times sat behind a Michigan fan reading a book during the game, not very loud at all. very good tailgating, after the game the bar scene sucks.

NW and IU nothing special.

Going to miss the Metro Dome a little, at the game back in the 90's when Minny's QB was asking the refs for help because the Iowa fans were too loud. :) And the 2002 weekend up there was a total blast, going to bars on Friday and Saturday night made you feel like you were in IC with all of the bars being packed with Iowa fans.

Haven't been to PU, MSU, Ill, or PSU and making the first trip to Minny's new stadium this year.

I always liked the Metrodome / Kinnick North, as there was always more Iowa fans there than MN, and since it was a pro stadium, you could buy beer. :)

I went to Illinois in 2000 when we weren't any good. Their tailgating was pretty awful, mostly a bunch of corporate tents with catering from what I remember. I know they improved the stadium so it could be better now but I wasn't impressed. The bar scene there was a lot different than IC, it seemed like you had to walk a quarter mile or more to get to the next bar.

I only went to the dome in Minneapolis once when we were bowl bound and tearing down goalposts. The environment there was awesome mostly because we were so good and you could buy beer at the game. Does anyone know if they are continuing the incredibly annoying "It'a another Minnesota Gopher . . . FIRST DOWN!" line? I'd like to check out the new stadium, maybe see if there are still cougars there willing to have a romp in the public bathrooms.

The game at OSU last year was really awesome. We were a little slow on heading to Hineygate, tailgating in traditional Hawkeye fashion at the back of our cars. Once we headed down to the stadium I wished we would have earlier. The party atmosphere was pretty awesome with bands playing and people everywhere. The fans were also pretty cool throughout the whole trip. One of the cooler parts of the game was when the Hawkeye fans stole the "Seven Nation Army" chant when we were making a comeback in the second half.

I wasn't there, but I get the feeling they were also quieter when AC blocked the punt than OSU was when DJK ran the kickoff back for a score ;)

Yup. PSU fans started getting the "here we go again" look. They also started to look like they were actually feeling the 40 degree cold and drizzle more than they did in the first half. It was incredible how many times we heard "F@$#'n Iowa" or some variation of this leaving the stadium.

Going to miss the Metro Dome a little, at the game back in the 90's when Minny's QB was asking the refs for help because the Iowa fans were too loud. :) And the 2002 weekend up there was a total blast, going to bars on Friday and Saturday night made you feel like you were in IC with all of the bars being packed with Iowa fans.

So true about Kinnick North. I was there as well when the Iowa fans were too loud! Also there when Hawk fans tore down their FG posts. Gonna miss it! :)

Wisconsin deserves to lose a few points for their student section routinely not showing up until halfway through the first quarter.

You could probably say the same thing about the Iowa student section, especially for an 11 am kick.

You could probably say the same thing about the Iowa student section, especially for an 11 am kick.

Even for big games? It was very noticeable on tv for the Iowa-Wisc game last year but I guess I don't remember what time the game started.

Latest posts