Miller: Athletes are ALREADY Getting Paid

This would be a ******* disaster. Schools could just flat out buy kids then. Schools with big money boosters could pick off smaller schools star players. Schools like Texas and Oregon would have boosters handing out $50,000 to kids just to have them be in some Nike commerical or car dealership spot. This would create a gigantic gap between the top few schools and every other program.

Man, it would suck to be in a world where Texas and Oregon buy recruits. That would be totally different than today.

I think Delaney is right. There should be a "D" League. Collegiate football should work directly with the NFL to set up up. Of course, there needs to be limitations though.

First, when a kid is coming out of high school they can either chose to go the traditional college route or into the new "D" league. Declaring for the "D" league strips you from any further amateur status going forward. From the moment you declare into the "D" league and signed with them you will have no college athletic eligibility. So if you get in there and things don't work out and you are cut, your football days are pretty much over unless you get picked up by another team in the league.

For kids declaring to go into the college recruiting pool, just like baseball, once you enter college you are there until graduation. You may not leave early for the draft. You get no extra perks except what is already given (scholly, food, living quarters, etc) so don't ***** about it. Current NCAA rules or whatever the governing body will be are still in place. If you get under the table bonuses or perks, you are done.

Payment in the "D" league is as follows. Room and board during training camp and the season. Once the season is over you have to find your own living situation. You get $1000 per game that you start, $500 if you don't start but get action in the game, and $100 if you ride pine. There are 16 games in the season meaning you max out at $16,000 a year. The league is not responsible for anything else outside of the season so you either learn to live off of the $16k you got or go home and live with mommy and daddy.

So basically what it boils down to is giving them the option to go "pro" but not making it enticing enough so that they are tripping over themselves to do it. If a kid goes the college route they are guaranteed at least four years of room and board and the opportunity for a quality education. And once they leave college if they performed well enough on the field, they enter the draft like normal and get paid or they don't get drafted and enter the real world.

"D" league players don't get drafted they are basically commodities of the teams they sign for. If they do well enough to make an NFL team they still don't get any type of draft bonus like the collegiate athlete would. They basically have to negotiate a contract. Of course, unless the kid is a physical beast outside of most laws of nature it will still take at least three or four years of "D" league play to even get close to NFL material.

This would be the best way to solve it. Give the kids a choice, but make it a tough choice.

Miller: Athletes Getting Paid AlreadyHawkeye Nation

Those are not estimated costs, those are actual costs as of September 26th, 2013. Add to this the free healthcare that each student athlete gets while at Iowa...some of those players could be on their parents plan, some of their parents are not insured. But there is no monthly premium, no co-pay, etc for these plans. None at all. They are covered, just as they would be if they were playing professionally.

Jon, good data but where are you getting your information about the health care? The following is from the Student-Athlete handbook at Iowa. This would seem to indicate that player has to use their family's insurance or buy a student plan.

The Athletics Department uses an
insurance plan that supplements your
family’s medical insurance plan. You
will receive an insurance form from
the Athletics Training office requesting
information about your family medical
coverage.

Procedures for filing Claims

When an injury occurs that requires
medical treatment, charges are first
applied to the student-athlete’s family
medical coverage and then any portion
not covered by the family insurance is
paid by the Athletics Department.
The department notifies the parents
or guardians when a claim has been
filed against their insurance. If the
insurance company sends the check to
the student’s parents, they are required
to send the payment to the Athletics
Training office.
If your family does not have an
insurance plan or if you are not covered
by your family medical coverage plan,
you are urged to buy an insurance package.

http://www.uiowa.edu/~athlss/Student-AthleteHandbk2012.pdf

Last edited:
I think Delaney is right. There should be a "D" League. Collegiate football should work directly with the NFL to set up up. Of course, there needs to be limitations though.

First, when a kid is coming out of high school they can either chose to go the traditional college route or into the new "D" league. Declaring for the "D" league strips you from any further amateur status going forward. From the moment you declare into the "D" league and signed with them you will have no college athletic eligibility. So if you get in there and things don't work out and you are cut, your football days are pretty much over unless you get picked up by another team in the league.

For kids declaring to go into the college recruiting pool, just like baseball, once you enter college you are there until graduation. You may not leave early for the draft. You get no extra perks except what is already given (scholly, food, living quarters, etc) so don't ***** about it. Current NCAA rules or whatever the governing body will be are still in place. If you get under the table bonuses or perks, you are done.

Payment in the "D" league is as follows. Room and board during training camp and the season. Once the season is over you have to find your own living situation. You get $1000 per game that you start, $500 if you don't start but get action in the game, and $100 if you ride pine. There are 16 games in the season meaning you max out at $16,000 a year. The league is not responsible for anything else outside of the season so you either learn to live off of the $16k you got or go home and live with mommy and daddy.

So basically what it boils down to is giving them the option to go "pro" but not making it enticing enough so that they are tripping over themselves to do it. If a kid goes the college route they are guaranteed at least four years of room and board and the opportunity for a quality education. And once they leave college if they performed well enough on the field, they enter the draft like normal and get paid or they don't get drafted and enter the real world.

"D" league players don't get drafted they are basically commodities of the teams they sign for. If they do well enough to make an NFL team they still don't get any type of draft bonus like the collegiate athlete would. They basically have to negotiate a contract. Of course, unless the kid is a physical beast outside of most laws of nature it will still take at least three or four years of "D" league play to even get close to NFL material.

This would be the best way to solve it. Give the kids a choice, but make it a tough choice.

Someone stop the presses, HFN have been agreeing with each other today! Time to get the beers flowing.

i'll address this point. and this is why the future of the NCAA as it is will be in doubt. do certain schools willingly drop out of the NCAA to pursue their own conference/association? if so, they wouldn't necessarily be bound by Title 9 rules, or am i wrong on that?

yeah, it's too sticky a situation to just make a blanket "pay this much to every athlete" type of rule, simply based on different schools pull in different money and all that.

Title IX is federal law

"This argument is such a waste of time based on Title IX alone"

This can't be repeated enough.

It's the reason the "full scholarship" proposal is about as far as even the big conferences are willing and able to go. And even that will meet resistance from smaller schools as it gives the BIG, SEC, PAC12 and BIG12 a competitive advantage - the little guys can't afford to give every athlete the same package.

"This argument is such a waste of time based on Title IX alone"

This can't be repeated enough.

It's the reason the "full scholarship" proposal is about as far as even the big conferences are willing and able to go. And even that will meet resistance from smaller schools as it gives the BIG, SEC, PAC12 and BIG12 a competitive advantage - the little guys can't afford to give every athlete the same package.

This is exactly why the big 5 (or 6) conferences will eventually leave the NCAA or a new division will be created for them.

Many D1 players come from poverty. They are fine while on campus, but they might not be able to afford to go anywhere when they aren't playing football (which is a full time job in and of itself). I played D1 and I had to give guys stuff all the time because they couldn't afford anything. These players can't have jobs per the NCAA. Everybody is getting rich (off of them) and many can't afford the basic things that every other college student gets to experience (and probably take for granted). I would be in support of giving the players a couple hundred bucks a month.

Also, the fact that these educations cost so much is crap. The institutions jack up the tuition because they know the kids can get student loans. So hey, why not push tuition higher if they know the lenders will give them the money. Look at how much these colleges have in endowment. Some of the larger institutions have hundreds of millions of dollars if not billions (the University of Texas endowment is 7.2 billion). Every student could go for free some places and they would still make money hand over fist. It's a scam for the 1%'s to further load their pockets.

Yup..Can't afford to go out to eat but most seem to find away to have gold earrings, tattoos all over the place, expensive cell phones, etc. And guess what? ALL of these players have plenty of time in the summer to work and save money for the school year. Maybe your buddies/teammates you gave money to should have got off their ***** and worked during the summer. (They would have had plenty of spending money because everything else is paid for!)
I was a collegiate athlete also. I went off to school with a clock radio and a suitcase. My family was dirt poor. Somehow I survived. I don't buy the poverty sob stories.

This is also why endorsements is the answer.

Again with the endorsements. There is zero practical difference between permitting endorsements and paying players outright. If you can't see that, you're naive beyond belief. It's precisely why they aren't currently permitted.

Another issue here is that once you start paying athletes, they are employees, and then you're subject to employment law and all that entails.

I'll leave it to OK4Prez or some other willing attorney who enjoys explaining this sh!t in detail to non-attorneys to lay out all the ramifications. I'm not that guy with that time or patience.

Again with the endorsements. There is zero practical difference between permitting endorsements and paying players outright. If you can't see that, you're naive beyond belief. It's precisely why they aren't currently permitted.

The practical difference is that it wouldn't force the university to pay backup field hockey players.

Why does the model work for the Olympics, but not collegiate athletics?

I mainly propose it as somewhat of a compromise. The groundbeat of "the players deserve more" has likely reached a critical mass where SOMETHING is gonna happen. Endorsements are the least onerous proposal, IMNSHO.

This guy gets it. If endorsements are legal, and Texas is struggling at QB again, there's nothing stopping them from contacting a guy like Chuckie Keaton from Utah St, a player who is already proven on the college level, and getting word to him that there's a guy who will pay him $100,000 to endorse his bar if he wants to play his final season in Austin. Hell Auburn paid $180,000 for Cam Newton, if that now becomes legal imagine how much Oregon and Oklahoma St and Ohio St will be shelling out for players. It won't matter who your coach is, or what kind of program you're running, it will just come down to which program's boosters have the deepest pockets.

If endorsements are legal, and Texas is struggling at QB again, there's nothing stopping them from contacting a guy like Chuckie Keaton from Utah St, a player who is already proven on the college level, and getting word to him that there's a guy who will pay him $100,000 to endorse his bar if he wants to play his final season in Austin.

It'd be a fun risk for that guy to lose a year of eligibility to transfer to another program and possibly ride the bench. But, hey, he'd have some short term money, which is all that people care about.

The practical difference is that it wouldn't force the university to pay backup field hockey players.

I mainly propose it as somewhat of a compromise. The groundbeat of "the players deserve more" has likely reached a critical mass where SOMETHING is gonna happen. Endorsements are the least onerous proposal, IMNSHO.

Because no one gives a **** about Olympic athletes except for a month once every four years and different countries aren't competing to buy the same athletes.

Yup..Can't afford to go out to eat but most seem to find away to have gold earrings, tattoos all over the place, expensive cell phones, etc. And guess what? ALL of these players have plenty of time in the summer to work and save money for the school year. Maybe your buddies/teammates you gave money to should have got off their ***** and worked during the summer. (They would have had plenty of spending money because everything else is paid for!)
I was a collegiate athlete also. I went off to school with a clock radio and a suitcase. My family was dirt poor. Somehow I survived. I don't buy the poverty sob stories.

Guess what, I'm not giving money to a guy with a bunch of bling either. However, I do have a heart and I can recognize when someone is truly down and out. Some people come from unbelievably bad circumstances. The teammates I am referring to came from real bad places in Texas, like getting shot for wearing the wrong color shirt. Believe it or not, but some people have to use the money they make just to eat and have a roof over their head.

Guess what, I'm not giving money to a guy with a bunch of bling either. However, I do have a heart and I can recognize when someone is truly down and out. Some people come from unbelievably bad circumstances. The teammates I am referring to came from real bad places in Texas, like getting shot for wearing the wrong color shirt. Believe it or not, but some people have to use the money they make just to eat and have a roof over their head.

If you are on athletic scholarship, your room and board are covered. For expenses, a $5500 pell grant awaits.

Because the Olympics aren't subject to Title IX.

Latest posts